Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2006, 00:26   #1
BHPian

Will GPS work in India ?

Hi all,

Was checking out heart rate monitors and an interesting one I found was the Timex BodyLink Trail Runner 5C391

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/ti...ner_5c391.html

But, will the GPS work in India ?

Cause, if it won't, then I can very well select some other model without GPS that might work out cheaper!

Cheers,
Falcon
Old 4th February 2006, 04:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have seen various Indian websites having GPS maps for download.

Its pretty much possible but will take time.
Old 4th February 2006, 07:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I have seen various Indian websites having GPS maps for download.

Its pretty much possible but will take time.

could you pls post the links to theese websites
i have been on the lookout for theese maps for over 3 years !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th February 2006, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

i saw a scorpio at the auto expo with a gps system installed and i think it was working.... has anyone used gps here
Old 4th February 2006, 17:15   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon
Hi all,

Was checking out heart rate monitors and an interesting one I found was the Timex BodyLink Trail Runner 5C391

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/ti...ner_5c391.html

But, will the GPS work in India ?

Cause, if it won't, then I can very well select some other model without GPS that might work out cheaper!

Cheers,
Falcon
I looked at the specifications of the Timex BodyLink Trail Runner 5C391
that you’re looking at.

The 5C391 does not need maps of Mumbai or anything remotely similar.
It has very, very basic GPS navigational features like latitude and longitude and waypoint marking. And it computes speed using differences in location readings over time.

All it needs to do, is decode the time signal transmissions from the GPS satellites and do some geometric trilateration computations. That IMHO, it already does!

The GPS satellites are already in the sky. India did not place them there and cannot remove them from the sky, whatever be our bureaucracy's implementational delays, intentions or lack thereof.

Your Timex BodyLink Trail Runner 5C391 does not need Indian areas to be mapped. And if you already miraculously have the GPS maps, the dumb 5C391 doesn't know what to do with’em !

So we need not lament unavailability of GPS maps for Indian regions, if the gadget we're considering to buy doesn't even understand maps.

So Falcon, go ahead and buy the gadget you want. Rest assured that it'll function perfectly, as well in India as anywhere else on Earth!!!

Last edited by Ram : 4th February 2006 at 17:17.
Old 4th February 2006, 23:40   #6
jat
BHPian

Yeah, Ram is right. GPS does work in India (or everywhere in world). If you don't need maps and only your position and speed, you can buy any GPS stuff. While buying GPS system requiring maps, better be careful as the name of many places, the routes, roads etc are always changing in India and therefore the maps won't be so accurate after some time. (Initially also they are not that accurate).

RK
Old 4th February 2006, 23:58   #7
BHPian

Even I need a Mumbai detailed map for my Garmin GPS..!..anyone could help me with it,like any online site from where I can download/or buy..

Thanks,
-sr
Old 5th February 2006, 00:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
The GPS satellites are already in the sky. India did not place them there and cannot remove them from the sky, whatever be our bureaucracy's implementational delays, intentions or lack thereof.
So Falcon, go ahead and buy the gadget you want. Rest assured that it'll function perfectly, as well in India as anywhere else on Earth!!!
Ram,

Thanks very much!

I had a vague idea that GPS tracking would work anywhere... but was not sure, so needed to get that clarified. And then I did also hear about maps not being available in India except for the metros... so that further confused me!

Now that this is out of the way, I can think about picking it up! But first, I'll get the funding sorted out

Falcon
Old 5th February 2006, 02:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey
could you pls post the links to theese websites
i have been on the lookout for theese maps for over 3 years !!!!!!!!!!!

I dont remember the exact link now as it was a long time back. But here are some links that will help.

http://mightygps.com/indianepal.htm

http://www.crn-india.com/breakingnew...ies/55440.html

http://www.quentind.com/quantum/glob...ing_system.htm

http://www.gpsindia.net/
Old 20th March 2006, 00:48   #10
BHPian

i have used a GPS.. but by default it only shows you the national and state highways.. and yeah names of cities and small towns.. you have to load the maps of cities to get the internal roads and I have no idea the maps of which cities are available on GPS..
Old 20th March 2006, 01:03   #11
BHPian

yeh GPS do work in India.. ive seen it in only one car..
a Honda CR-V.. White Colour from Breacy Candy side..
he has complete mumbai map.. and other metropolition cities maps.. like delhi, kolkata, chennai, banglore, etc
Old 20th March 2006, 04:17   #12

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

nope will not work....the rate at which the mcd digs up roads n makes diversions i think the maps will always remain outdated..hhehe.it will tk a lot of time to map all the gali's etc etc.i'd luv to get a map which shows all the panwaadis(cig sellers) in the city though.
Old 26th September 2006, 22:09   #13

itemsofdesire.com made it easy!

i bought the holux gps reciever and maps of indian metros from www.itemsofdesire.com ... easy going .. good service! detailed maps! thought maybe this info can help u all!
Old 27th September 2006, 00:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdocs
i bought the holux gps reciever and maps of indian metros from www.itemsofdesire.com ... easy going .. good service! detailed maps! thought maybe this info can help u all!
Dude - the maps which you've bought for Rs3000/city on itemsofdesire are maps from MapKing.com,which provide them for around US $30/city !..comes to approximately Rs1,400/city.
Even sellers on ebay India are making money from this..they are selling mapking maps on ebay for Rs3000/city,more than double of the original map cost !

Cheers,
-sr

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks