Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:19   #1
BHPian

Projector Retrofit

Hello All,

I have seen quite a few aftermarket projector add-ons and a lot of pictures of cars with these but I still have some questions. Specific to the Palio if you may, and they are as follows:

1. most projectors talk about bi-xenons which make sense when you have a single headlamp unit with high and low beams in the same bulb. what about if you have seperate high and low beams? no where can i find anything about a projector being available that can fit a H7 HID. i ask because the mountings of a H4 and H7 bulbs are different and i cant just put a H7 bulb in a H4 mount.

2. when you guys install projectors in the existing headlamps, how is the unit fit to the back of the reflectors? does it screw/clamp in or do the existing reflectors need to be cut to allow the projector mount? if the reflectors need to be cut, its quite a painful task to get the cutting done right in the centre so the projector can mount in perfectly. obviously a trial and error method does not make sense here bcoz a pair of Palio headlights cost 16K to replace. so how is this task completed?

3. why does nobody sell a projector setup without the HID kit included? searched high and low and nobody is ready to give a projector without the bulbs and ballast. i already have HIDs and good ones at that (4300K Phillips) which have been running fine or the last 2 years in my car and i dont want to replace them.

4. i looked at projectors from crashed Skoda cars and none of them even came close to fitting the headlamp units of the Palio. Not to mention the fact that they seemed to use some weird bulbs and connectors for which i cant seem to find specifications. am i missing something here or was i looking at it wrong? looked at projectors from Hyundai Sonata and these were very flimsy to hold and did not look like they would last beyond the first or two potholes! even the junked projectors were quoted at 3000+ for a pair. is this the correct price or am i going for a ride? i ask because i will need 2 pairs (4) of projectors.

Please let me know the answers to these and also point me in the direction of anyone capable of pulling off this job in Bangalore in case i cant go the DIY route.

if anyone wants to add any further questions to this feel free to do so.

Regards,
Kiran.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Projector Retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Hello All,

I have seen quite a few aftermarket projector add-ons and a lot of pictures of cars with these but I still have some questions. Specific to the Palio if you may, and they are as follows:

1. most projectors talk about bi-xenons which make sense when you have a single headlamp unit with high and low beams in the same bulb. what about if you have seperate high and low beams? no where can i find anything about a projector being available that can fit a H7 HID. i ask because the mountings of a H4 and H7 bulbs are different and i cant just put a H7 bulb in a H4 mount.

What most people do is install projectors in low beam and stay with stock reflectors in high. If you have the budget, you can go in for projectors in the high as well. But since high is rarely used, people opt for projectors in low only. This is commonly seen in entry level luxury cars.

2. when you guys install projectors in the existing headlamps, how is the unit fit to the back of the reflectors? does it screw/clamp in or do the existing reflectors need to be cut to allow the projector mount? if the reflectors need to be cut, its quite a painful task to get the cutting done right in the centre so the projector can mount in perfectly. obviously a trial and error method does not make sense here bcoz a pair of Palio headlights cost 16K to replace. so how is this task completed?

There are two types of projectors that you can use. Normal projectors or bolt on projectors. To install normal projectors you will need to cut the existing reflectors. A lot of customization and a skilled technician will be required but the end result will be awesome. You can work on the existing reflectors for a bolt on projectors. Just remove the existing holder and screw in the bolt on projectors. Please see the attached pics or a step by step procedure.

3. why does nobody sell a projector setup without the HID kit included? searched high and low and nobody is ready to give a projector without the bulbs and ballast. i already have HIDs and good ones at that (4300K Phillips) which have been running fine or the last 2 years in my car and i dont want to replace them.

Most dealers sell projectors setup with HID's. If you are going for after market projector headlight assembly (like I have) you can get without HID's. But there are people who sell projectors alone.

4. i looked at projectors from crashed Skoda cars and none of them even came close to fitting the headlamp units of the Palio. Not to mention the fact that they seemed to use some weird bulbs and connectors for which i cant seem to find specifications. am i missing something here or was i looking at it wrong? looked at projectors from Hyundai Sonata and these were very flimsy to hold and did not look like they would last beyond the first or two potholes! even the junked projectors were quoted at 3000+ for a pair. is this the correct price or am i going for a ride? i ask because i will need 2 pairs (4) of projectors.

Do not go for second hand projectors. Have received many negative feedback from others.

Please let me know the answers to these and also point me in the direction of anyone capable of pulling off this job in Bangalore in case i cant go the DIY route.

if anyone wants to add any further questions to this feel free to do so.

Regards,
Kiran.
See my answers in bold. In the meantime, here are the instructions for bolt on projectors. Not as good as retro fitted projectors.

Projector Retrofit-a1.jpg

Remove the screws from the back

Projector Retrofit-a2.jpg

When the existing holder is removed

Projector Retrofit-a3.jpg

remove all the spin locks, springs and washers from the projector unit. REMEMBER WHERE THEY GO!!!

Projector Retrofit-a4.jpg

Find which side is the top of the projector

Projector Retrofit-a5.jpg

Projector Retrofit-a6.jpg

Projector Retrofit-a7.jpg

Put the locking tab back in place. IT ONLY GOES ONE WAY

Projector Retrofit-a8.jpg

Now put back all the washers, springs and spin locks in the right order

Projector Retrofit-a9.jpg

The end result

Projector Retrofit-a10.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 12:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
See my answers in bold. In the meantime, here are the instructions for bolt on projectors. Not as good as retro fitted projectors.
Naveen, could you tell me what is the difference between bolt on and retrofit projectors? In both cases the projector unit is installed in a reflector headlight case isn't it? And why is bolt on projector conversion bad, is it because of light aiming or quality of optics available for bolt on conversion?

Thanks for the detailed pics!
Old 24th June 2011, 13:10   #4
BHPian

That seems like a fairly easy process. How difficult was it to remove the front glass and put it back? In bikes it is glued, hence needs some Hot Air, is it the same in cars too? If this is an easy process, I don't mind trying it in My Esteem.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Naveen, could you tell me what is the difference between bolt on and retrofit projectors? In both cases the projector unit is installed in a reflector headlight case isn't it? And why is bolt on projector conversion bad, is it because of light aiming or quality of optics available for bolt on conversion?

Thanks for the detailed pics!
Sankar, it's basically the same but bolt on projectors wont have the quality. Also, the normal projectors will be a bit bigger(some units) when compared to bolt on projectors so would be hard to fix it unless the reflector is cut a bit. Bolt on is least preferred by many. People tend to spend a bit extra for custom projector headlight units. But to sum it up, it's basically the same but the look and the output will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
That seems like a fairly easy process. How difficult was it to remove the front glass and put it back? In bikes it is glued, hence needs some Hot Air, is it the same in cars too? If this is an easy process, I don't mind trying it in My Esteem.
Putting back the front glass wont be difficult but great care should be taken to seal it. I have opened my projector glass twice and sealed it using silicon gel. Once this is opened make sure it's air tight else there will be water seepage. Another common sight would be mist formation. This will be there for 2-3 days since air gets trapped inside.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks