Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 10:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?

Thanks for the information. I used to have Ambipur in my earlier car but shifted to MyShaldan when I went in for a new car and sicne then have been satisfied customer of MyShaldan.

Regarding the melting of the air fresher on the AC vents, could it have been because of heater switched on for longer duration
Old 8th July 2011, 11:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have not seen it burn plastic but in my car the leaked liquid damaged the coating on the AC Vents. Now have shifted the position to the AC Vent near the door which is only plastic with no coating.

Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-img00075.jpg

Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-img00074.jpg
Old 8th July 2011, 11:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I think I understand what happens, but can you guys tell which car are the ones you are taking about? Thanks.
The car is NHC. Few pictures of the damage:
Near the AC vents. No damage to the HU since its slightly inside.
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-wp_000009-2.jpg

Layer of fake wood, which is right below the AC vents, has peeled off, since few droplets fell on it.
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-wp_000010-2.jpg
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 12:01   #19
BHPian

The fake wood in my NHC was also damaged due to an Ambipur leak. Stopped using it since.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:41   #20
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I have not seen it burn plastic but in my car the leaked liquid damaged the coating on the AC Vents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Layer of fake wood, which is right below the AC vents, has peeled off, since few droplets fell on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adentist View Post
The fake wood in my NHC was also damaged due to an Ambipur leak.
Ambi Pur liquid contains a solvent component which can damage plastic coatings. This solvent does attack ABS, PS, acrylic other coating materials specialy if left for a time. Attack on pure PP is difficult, IMHO, however it may occur on prolonged exposure. I believe the bottle design was also not optimal at a point of time. The solvents are not toxic from inhalation standpoint at low ppm levels.
dot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 12:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^Chemical Doc Dotty, putting forth his analysis is it? .

Yes, they are harmful to the plastics in the car. Long ago, a friend of mine had mentioned that Ambipur got a lot of complaints in this regard, and since then, they (Ambipur) had kind of dilluted the liquid. Dont know the result of that though.

I personally, was never a fan of the Ambipur fragrance. Those fragrant gels (My Shaldan types) is what I normally use. Leave it on the ground, next to the seat and the whole car smells good.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I think I understand what happens, but can you guys tell which car are the ones you are taking about? Thanks.
In my Verna, Driver side AC vent coating( or upper layer plastic..not sure) was loose and I peeled it, Fortunately the underlying plastic surface was of the same colour and there was no un evenness so hardly any visual damage.
In the Fiesta, the plastic panel looks bad and may need to be replaced.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adentist View Post
The fake wood in my NHC was also damaged due to an Ambipur leak. Stopped using it since.
The same thing happened to my friend's NHC as well. I think it is not just Ambipur, any of these liquid fragrances can have the same damage, only ambipur is easily spillable while others are better positioned.
Old 8th July 2011, 13:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, forget the plastic, is there any health hazard? I have been using it for the past 1.5 years with absolutely no issues. It is fitted to the extreme left vent of my car and my son always sits there.

I picked up about 6 - 7 pieces in a clearance sale at Reliance @ 80% off, and a few are still left!
Old 8th July 2011, 13:40   #25
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, forget the plastic, is there any health hazard?
Minimal. There is as much health hazard as inhaling anti-mosquito liquid dispersant or using deodorants and perfume. If anyone is allergic, it could be an issue.
Old 8th July 2011, 13:57   #26
BHPian

Re: Ambipur perfume can damage car interior plastics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yup it can cause finish damage to dash plastics!!

My mom used one in her car. Once the car cleaning guy kinda put it back inverted and it leaked in a stream, kinda fading away the plastic from that area!

If you felt it, you could sense a depression in the plastic from where the perfume stream flowed!

I recommended her My shaldan and now she's happy with it!

I personally don't use any car perfumes, as my car always smells great from the protectants that I use on the dash!
I went back to buy a ambipur

Any suggestion on a better perfume as my wifey does not like strong smells and so is my daughter.
My choices
My Shaldan- ?fragrance
Poppy- Lime/Lavender
air freshner spray (but in heat they are possibly dangerous and prime to explode)
You mention protectants on dashboard can we get an elaboration please.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 8th July 2011, 14:16   #27
BHPian

When i bought my car i bought a bottle of Ambipur and in the process of clipping it to a/c vent it fell down and the liquid leaked on the center console and carpet emptying half of the bottle.But nothing happend to the plastics .I feel only painted parts will be affected.
I stopped using this after two more refills as it evaporates too quickly and it didn't had any fragrance .Now a days i dont use any fragrances in car.

Last edited by bullboy : 8th July 2011 at 14:17.
Old 8th July 2011, 14:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk

I went back to buy a ambipur

Any suggestion on a better perfume as my wifey does not like strong smells and so is my daughter.
My choices
My Shaldan- ?fragrance
Poppy- Lime/Lavender
air freshner spray (but in heat they are possibly dangerous and prime to explode)
You mention protectants on dashboard can we get an elaboration please.

Cheers
Prasad
I use a dashboard protectant. (it protects the dash plastics from uv radiations and premature fading.

These are generally weakly scented. So they serve a dual purpose.

In case one has leather seats, one can use a leather cleaner and conditioner on em and get that characteristic new conditioned leather smell! The leather becomes soft and supple as the oils moisturize the leather back to life.

I also have a spray scent for my car but I never felt the need to use it.
Protectants do all the job perfectly and I'm too preoccupied with driving to notice any scent anyway etc.

I think myshaldan should be good.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
AMBIPURE!!! This is the perfume which I hate a lot! My brand new sony HU was damaged by ambipure. Liquid leaked and fell on the front panel. Entire display was damaged. Buttons became soft and never worked afterwards..
the same thing happened to my sony HU, after giving the ikon for service, they fitted the ambipur upside down on the centre console. The entire casing had a white plasticy thing and the display.. well, only half of it works after the incident. have moved out.

went to my shaldan orange, but yikes!! sis hates it.

so now on ambipur spray (the one that loooks like a HIT container) their new fragrances are good.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:36   #30
BHPian

I used to have the Ambipur attached to the central AC vents on my Indica. It spilled once when my kiddo played around tilting the bottle. This caused the part below the vent get deformed like plastic has been burnt.

I have stopped using it since then. I now try and keep the interiors cleaned and polished as and when I find time and have not felt the need to keep any car perfume.

May be the rains will cause the interiors to be more humid/wet than otherwise pushing me to get that Shaldan !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks