Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 15:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?

I hate most of these Car perfumes - makes my head spin - especially AMBIPURE
And in any case, with the revelation in this thread - I think it was good that I never bought one.

Incidentally, why don't ppl use normal perfumes (the ones that you wear)? Just spray when you need it. In fact, I remember carrying one aftershave bottle (lovely smell), and I could use it as an antiseptic too
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 15:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

^^That is a good idea! I think a few whiffs of deodorant under the seats will be more than enough.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:10   #33
BHPian

I got Ambipure just once but started getting those burns in the eyes while driving. Got rid of that and now i am a happy myshaldan customer since over a year :-)
Old 8th July 2011, 16:33   #34
kkg
BHPian

Exactly the same thing happened to a friend of mine. The ambipure he got free with his new Swift also brought him loads of free headache and eyeburning while long drives with AC on. As soon as he got rid of it everything was fine.

Till today, I thought it be one of a case where my friend might have been allergic of some chemical but some thing is not right with Ambipure I guess.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, forget the plastic, is there any health hazard? I have been using it for the past 1.5 years with absolutely no issues. It is fitted to the extreme left vent of my car and my son always sits there.

I picked up about 6 - 7 pieces in a clearance sale at Reliance @ 80% off, and a few are still left!
IMO there is a health risk and especially so if there is any breathing problem . The best situation is using no car perfumes or using only natural deodorisers .

One more health hazard are benzene fumes from car seats especially when the car is under the sun . Folks should roll down windows for at least a few minutes before being seated in the car .
Old 8th July 2011, 16:54   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Another alternative would be MyShaldan but it's strong. The best thing to do is never open it completely and keep it away from direct sunlight. Under the seat would be an option but tends to roll on the floor.

Dashboard protectant (as sohail had mentioned) works fine. I do this at times when I run out of air fresheners.

Nowadays I spray a puff of perfume inside the car when I leave for office. Davidhoff Cool water to be precise. An expensive bit of freshening the car interiors I would say .

My dad keeps fresh flowers in the car. It's a totally different experience when you get to smell something natural.

BTW, I find the new model from Ambipur to be working fine (as of now). The "Aqua" fragrance is mild. Here's a pic. Keeping at the driver side is the best.

But in case, use of these are best to be avoided.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-img00679201107081641.jpg  

Old 8th July 2011, 16:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I have not seen it burn plastic but in my car the leaked liquid damaged the coating on the AC Vents. Now have shifted the position to the AC Vent near the door which is only plastic with no coating.

Attachment 573966

Attachment 573965
Your photo is scaring me now. I need to check the LH side vent at the door.
Once, when my dad removed it and placed in the door pocket, it leaked on the umbrella luckily,which was already in it. Else, imagine the door pocket's condition.
Later, when I took the umbrella to my office desk next day, every one was like, 'UMMMMM... new perfume?'
It remained for more than three days along with the umbrella. Then I realised how strong it is, and stopped refilling it.
I remember, there were some small dark marks left on the vents. Need to investigate what is the cause - Dust or Ambipure?
Old 8th July 2011, 18:30   #38
BHPian

I completely got rid of perfumes in the car after my baby was born. I found them to be very strong and was concerned about the ingredients in these perfumes. Especially with Ambipur it used to be so strong, that it used to give me a headache. If it does that to plastic, wonder what it does when inhaled over a period of time. There should be toxic testing on these products.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my experience. My friends Jettas Dash got spoiled when Ambipur spilled. He had to spend 5K to change the same. Just the front centre console ventillation panel. If almost felt like somone poured acid on it. Ambipur is a strict no-no for me in any cars. I prefer the spray perfumes when required.

Last edited by VW2010 : 8th July 2011 at 18:40.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:56   #40
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ambipur perfume can damage car interior plastics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Any suggestion on a better perfume as my wifey does not like strong smells and so is my daughter.
My choices
My Shaldan- ?fragrance
Poppy- Lime/Lavender
air freshner spray (but in heat they are possibly dangerous and prime to explode)
I simply don't like any liquidish/waxy/spray perfumes for the car. I've always liked the flower/leaf/tree, etc fragrances that you can hang behind the inside rear-view mirror. I've been using these for several years now (first saw them in the US) and they're now available in India too (Pennzoil markets these). The added advantage is that there are no spills.
An image of the car freshener I'm referring to:
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-car-freshener.jpg
Old 8th July 2011, 19:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

I'm assuming that no high-temperatures are involved so when people say dashboard "melted" what they are really saying that the perfume somehow dissolved the plastic.

Now this means the perfume probably has some very strong solvent in it - ether may be - and that also means it will be VERY harmful to human health.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I simply don't like any liquidish/waxy/spray perfumes for the car. I've always liked the flower/leaf/tree, etc fragrances that you can hang behind the inside rear-view mirror. I've been using these for several years now (first saw them in the US) and they're now available in India too (Pennzoil markets these). The added advantage is that there are no spills.
An image of the car freshener I'm referring to:
Attachment 574268
Ofcourse you use it hence you recommend, however... a stupid question, is it worth it, good enough, pricey? Ambi Pur ...hasnt worked since day one, there is no fragrance emitting out of it at all.

Hope this leaf (have seen other shapes too...) is it effective enough?
Old 8th July 2011, 19:04   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've always liked the flower/leaf/tree, etc fragrances that you can hang behind the inside rear-view mirror. I've been using these for several years now (first saw them in the US) and they're now available in India too (Pennzoil markets these). The added advantage is that there are no spills.
My folks had got a few of them from the US a year ago. Agree - they are quite good. Only flip side is, they attract dust pretty quick.

So, unless you use A/c 100% or drive on dust-free roads, these things will lose their fragrance pretty quick.

But, for the time they work, they are really pleasant!
Old 8th July 2011, 19:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
I got Ambipure just once but started getting those burns in the eyes while driving. Got rid of that and now i am a happy myshaldan customer since over a year :-)
My dad has the same problem with Ambipure, He has thrown away the ambipure perfumes from our cars saying it irritates his eyes and the smell always gave him a headache.
I used to think he was just making up some reason to get rid of it but now I see what he meant.

I haven't heard him complain about myshaldan, he likes the smell of it and it does not irritate the eyes.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have used Ambipur in my cars. Never had any headache (fortunately). The car cleaner one day knocked it off the vent & put it back on inverted...so what do you think happened ?? The area near the went actually distorted as if some acid was thrown on it.

There are some Gels that stay long & do not cause any spillage, that may be a good option.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 8th July 2011 at 19:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks