Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2011, 14:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?

Now this is what i was talking about. I seldom use Ambipur.
Old 9th July 2011, 14:39   #47
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ambipur perfume can damage car interior plastics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilanjar View Post
Ofcourse you use it hence you recommend, however... a stupid question, is it worth it, good enough, pricey? Ambi Pur ...hasnt worked since day one, there is no fragrance emitting out of it at all.

Hope this leaf (have seen other shapes too...) is it effective enough?
I've been using these for 10 years now and have found them to be good. However, I can't say if it will lose odour quickly if windows are kept rolled down for long periods, etc since I keep the windows closed mostly. I have not experienced things like irritation in the eyes, skin, etc which some folks have mentioned here with some other perfumes.
I think price is around Rs.50-70 - You can try it once and see if you like it (there's got to be a first time so that you can compare with what you use now).
Luckily for me, when I travel I buy them or someone else who travels to the US from office gets it (costs about $1 each)

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2011 at 14:41.
Old 9th July 2011, 17:32   #48
BANNED

Re: Ambipur perfume can damage car interior plastics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I have been using Ambipur for long and remember now that this was not seen in store racks/shelves for many months recently before it made a reappearance. None of store guys were able to give the reason of the non-availability. But now I get it.

It was not in stores for many months because Ambipur broke off its tie up with Godrej Sara Lee who were the distributors of Ambipur in India .
Now ambipur is marketed directly by Ambipur Parent Company P & G.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 23:01   #49
BHPian

Talk about Co-incidence. I was just going through this thread yesterday. I too have been using Ambipur from a month and a half. Did not have any leakage problems thus far.

Having read and seen stuff here, you bet i'll never go get one more.

So today evening i go down and sit in the car and to my horror i see that the car wash guy while doing some interior cleaning in the morning has fixed the Ambipur upside down while putting it back after cleaning

The entire bottle has leaked and on the floor mat (Thank god that it had not leaked on the dash). It's so suffocating in the car now coz of all the smell. Don't know how long it will take to clear out
Old 10th July 2011, 07:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

I remember using in my Indica few years back in Chennai, and the liquid got spilled over on the dash while cleaning the car. Post that incident the whole plastic on the dash (Where ever the liquid got spilled) started coming out like a thick cream.

In those times i did not have covered parking and the car would be staying out in the Sun for long long time. So i guess the liquid+Sun heat is even more damaging.
Old 10th July 2011, 07:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

I always remove ambipur, HU, idol etc before giving the car for wash. Even though I did not know about this dark side of ambipur before.

If it is from P&G, I don't think there will be any health issues. As EL mentioned earlier, any car perfume may damage plastic if it leaks.
Old 10th July 2011, 07:32   #52
BHPian

I've had issues with AmbiPur as well. It irritates my eyes, especially if the vent is directed to my face or close by.

And yes, the fluid managed to leak out on the audio control panel, and those marks are there to stay. It is not as bad as one pic posted here in this thread, just stains. Never used Ambi Pur after that.
Old 10th July 2011, 07:59   #53
BANNED

As i am into plastics, Ambipur, and other car freshners may have acetone, so that the perfume gets evaporated in heat/air.

As head units are made up of ABS polymer, and even AC vents can be in ABS, which reacts heavily with acetone. if we pour pure acetone in ABS plastic, it will melt it like paste. Even other polymers like HIPS which is group of ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) will react with solvents like Acetone, which may be in car perfume.

If its true that car freshners has solvents, it will be health hazard, may be slow poison
rajivanoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 14:27   #54
BHPian

Ohh!
Thanks for sharing all those experiences with Ambipure.
I am just saved.

Removed the Ambipur once I saw this thread.

Initially saw no major deformation/ marks etc on the vent.
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-img00512201107091433.jpg
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-img00513201107091434.jpg
But, when carefully seen from the bottom these marks were visible clearly .
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-img00520201107110825.jpg
Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?-img00521201107110825.jpg

Luckily, most of the liquid fell on the umbrella( which has the fragrance still lingering on it even today, after some 25 days since the spill.).
and very little left when I clipped it back again with out knowing the possible damage.

Still searching for My shaldan in any of the stores near by. Will check with the Shell pump near KSB chowk today while going home.
Old 16th July 2011, 13:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Layer of fake wood, which is right below the AC vents, has peeled off, since few droplets fell on it.
Attachment 573980
That's veneer damage. Here's a video in which Edd China repairs the veneer damage in a Jaguar XJS's .
It is a troublesome repair.
Old 16th July 2011, 14:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

If any warning not to spill the liquid does not appear on the package, can't an aggrieved car owner claim compensation from Ambipur?
Old 16th July 2011, 14:50   #57
BHPian

I used to use ambipur long time back and even i faced similar problem where the coating on the dashboard burned off because of spilling of the liquid.

I stopped using it when people started recognizing which car I am traveling in just by smelling me The smell was so strong in Ambipur that people could smell it on me.
Old 16th July 2011, 15:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I never knew a car perfume could be so harmful, thanks for the info guys. My dad uses it all the time and even has spare re-fills stocked. Even I used it once but didn't like the fragrance and stopped. Guess its time to put it off.
Old 16th July 2011, 15:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
As i am into plastics, Ambipur, and other car freshners may have acetone, so that the perfume gets evaporated in heat/air.

As head units are made up of ABS polymer, and even AC vents can be in ABS, which reacts heavily with acetone. if we pour pure acetone in ABS plastic, it will melt it like paste. Even other polymers like HIPS which is group of ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) will react with solvents like Acetone, which may be in car perfume.

If its true that car freshners has solvents, it will be health hazard, may be slow poison
I agree with Rajivanoj. The damage looks exactly like acetone damage to polymers. Acetone vapours are known to cause irritation to eyes as some members have reported here. Acteone actually shouldn't be used for perfumed products.

Long time ago, I remember experimenting the effect of acetone on some polymeric products by dipping a pen (with plastic body, like Reynolds) into acetone and it came out looking like the damaged polymer parts in the pictures.

P.S: I am an Organic Chemist and use acetone everyday for work (well for cleaning glassware mainly ).
Old 16th July 2011, 17:52   #60
BHPian

Hi,

The following is a learning of mine and my hypothesis after that.

Observation and learning: We had to once buy half a liter of petrol in a mineral water bottle (to start a hibernating bike). After a few days (the bottle had only traces of petrol left in it), I found that the bottom of the bottle had simply vanished!

Hypothesis: Plastic probably made from Crude oil (?), mixed with petrol (refined crude oil) gel very well

Possibility: Something like this could be happening in this case too?

Regards,
NagaSid

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks