Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:22   #121
BHPian

Re: Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?

I stopped using ambipure since it leaked and spoiled the Pioneer HU, also the smell was too strong for comfort.
Old 14th April 2012, 11:43   #122
BHPian

Bumping this old thread. Is anyone still using ambipure? I have never used it, but was planning to buy one, when I bumped into this thread.
If it really affects us, then why is the Government silent on this, why has not this been brought up in the media? Has there been any statement from the company itself?
In the meanwhile I will stick with my jute fibre perfume.
Old 14th April 2012, 16:51   #123
Senior - BHPian

I am using ambipur from last one year, and till date it hasn"t caused any damage to my car's plastic ( even leaked once ).

I just open it when some smell come in the cabin, else it remains at off position say it remain in close position for 80% of time, I still will continue using it as i don't think it's harmful.

Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 14th April 2012 at 16:53.
Old 14th April 2012, 17:10   #124
Senior - BHPian

I normally turn it off, and only turn it on if requires since its pretty strong.
But this way, car cabin remains non smelly and also does not have a dominant amipur smell.

I have not faced any other issues in last 13 months of usage.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the new ambipur ad on tv - blindfolded 'real people' in a car with stale/rotting food placed in it, and then turning on the ambipur to 'prove' that the 'nicer' smell cloaks all the foul odors from all that rotten food.

Maybe the rotten food is taking the point too far, however I do find it hard to believe that people would rather live with a malodorous interior without attempting a clean-up, and then too opt for an air-freshener.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 6th May 2013 at 10:11.
Old 4th April 2014, 02:09   #126
BHPian

Came across this thread, and voila! I know why one of my AC vents is deformed. I can't believe that it was caused by AmbiPur. I've been racking my brains trying to figure out how this happened!

Well, back to MyShaldan then..
Old 4th April 2014, 07:16   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Came across this thread, and voila! I know why one of my AC vents is deformed. I can't believe that it was caused by AmbiPur. I've been racking my brains trying to figure out how this happened!

Well, back to MyShaldan then..
Deformed? How bad is it?
I stopped using Ambipur after realizing it hardly lasted long, and also after it left marks on the dashboard plastic when it leaked.

I moved on to MyShaldan and didn't look back since.
Old 14th May 2016, 06:44   #128
BHPian

I have used Ambipur on and off for a long time( 5+). Now I am using the mini version. Luckily I never had any damages except for once when I had kept it in the bottle holder near the center console and it leaked because it was not kept upright. There is a little discoloration but nothing much. My main complaint was it was bulky and I'm happy with the mini version though it doesn't last that long. I have used poppy and like it too. Also the Godrej aer thing which looks better than Ambipur. I have tried those clip like things (from US) which are even smaller but it doesn't last long probably due to our conditions. Tried car sprays as well, but that's too much hassle and the scent is too strong initially and then fades pretty quickly. As mentioned already, if it's possible to manage without any fresheners at all that's one less chemical to be used and probably a good thing in the long run.
Old 14th May 2016, 08:52   #129
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I have used Ambipur on and off for a long time( 5+). Now I am using the mini version. Luckily I never had any damages except for once when I had kept it in the bottle holder near the center console and it leaked because it was not kept upright.
Generally when cars with Ambipur are left out in the sun, the heat causes leaks/bursts so if you avoid such situations you will usually not find leakage issues.

Last edited by NPV : 14th May 2016 at 08:54.
Old 14th May 2016, 09:02   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Generally when cars with Ambipur are left out in the sun, the heat causes leaks/bursts so if you avoid such situations you will usually not find leakage issues.
I agree. I always park in the basement parking both at work and home or mostly under a tree. Very rarely have I left it under the sun.
Old 29th June 2017, 12:28   #131
BHPian

Why are these car perfumes so expensive?

7.5ml refill of ambipur costs Rs.175. Direct conversion makes it more than Rs.23000/litre . Even if I consider Rs.100 is for the glass bottle, packaging, marketing etc, it's still Rs.10000/l. Even with this exorbitant price, they don't manage to make it less corrosive or harmful.

Even normal perfumes are much cheaper compared to this. Maybe that's why people came up with cheaper and less harmful options as discussed in :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-refill-6.html
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 13:35   #132
BHPian

Re: Ambipur perfume can damage car interior plastics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Forget your cheap plastic interiors my friends. These chemicals are well known carcinogenics and can damage your lungs when inhaled - esp when you get into closed car that has been leaking benzoids and other toxins all night.

Nobody ever paused and thought about their own lungs before buying these things?!!

--Ragul
Very true, more than the car material damage, damage to our health is one should aware of. I stopped using any kind of perfumes (car perfumes, body spray and perfumes) and mosquito liquid long back after I learnt the long term impact it can bring. One benefit I can see after stop using any kind of mosquito repellant is that, the common cold is very rare at home.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 18:50   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

In all these years since the last post, I was hoping for suggestions for alternatives.

Suggestions, please .. what (natural) friendly perfume can we use ?

I have tried cubes, Godrej Aer, Ambipur ..
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:42   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
In all these years since the last post, I was hoping for suggestions for alternatives. Suggestions, please .. what (natural) friendly perfume can we use ?
I use natural camphor in rock form.It certainly purifies the air.You can break it into manageable sizes and place the pieces in different places.Keep it away from the lighter,as it is combustible.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 10:38   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
I use natural camphor in rock form.It certainly purifies the air.You can break it into manageable sizes and place the pieces in different places.Keep it away from the lighter,as it is combustible.
The smell of camphor is too strong and clings to everything. My brother once put camphor in the cupboards in our kitchen to keep away pests. In the bargain the plates started smelling of camphor. Even the smell of chili powder was overpowered by the smell of camphor.

My suggestion is to use activated carbon as this absorbs foul smell and keeps the car neutral smelling.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks