Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2011, 18:10   #1
BHPian

VW Polo Steering Change

I will be buying a Volkswagen Polo 1.6 in the next few weeks, and one thing about the car that has always left me unimpressed is the lack of steering mounted audio controls. On a hot hatch that costs Rs. 8 lakhs I feel this is an alarming omission, especially since it's offered on almost every other car in it's competition (Fiat Grande Punto, Hyundai i20, Suzuki Swift ZXI etc). Not just that, but in my opinion the steering wheel offered looks rather dull and boring, especially without the aluminum bits offered on Vento steering wheels. Although concerned, I decided not to let that get in the way of me deciding on the car, and chose to just accept it.

However, while doing some research on the internet I stumbled upon what COULD be an alternative. I have found sellers in the UK who are selling brand new, original Golf MK6 Steering Wheels. These steering wheels are leather, sport steerings, with airbag and steering mounted control buttons (and wiring). I have attached a picture for reference, and the part number is 5K0 419 091. The seller claims that this will fit a current-gen Polo, but this claim is for UK Polos (he is unsure about the one offered here).

Therefore my question to the technical gurus around here is - can I have this Steering Wheel fitted onto an Indian Polo 1.6, without any harness issues, and warranty void issues? Additionally, will the wiring provided actually manage to connect to the stock audio system to act as fully-functional steering mounted audio controls?

Regards,
RTM

PS - I am aware of the fact that spy shots of a VW Polo with an updated steering (with controls) have been taken, but I have asked around and no one seems to be sure about when this update will come into place, if it even does. I therefore am not holding myself back for that.

This is a reference picture of the Steering Wheel in question.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo Steering Change-kgrhqioko8e3s37wjgubogtphp1q_12.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th July 2011 at 20:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use edit option if posting again within 30 mins. Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 18:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo Steering Change

I would suggest not to go ahead with this plan.

If installation goes wrong, you are asking for it.

And its almost sure that the warranty will become null.

Make do without the audio controls on steering. Polo is one good hatch and steering mounted audio control should not be a deal breaker
Old 10th July 2011, 11:09   #3
BHPian

Hello rtm,

That's a great idea, but I want to caution you on one thing - these new cars nowadays, not just VW's, have audio systems with car specific LOCK codes which disable the car audio if it is removed from one car and fitted into another car. I came to know this when we tried to fit a Passat's OEM audio system into a Jetta. The system asked for a LOCK code which we had to source from the specific Passat that we got the system from. If I were you, I would make sure I don't have similar issues with the steering mounted controls and the electrical steering wheel.

The wheel looks rad, btw!
Cheers
Old 10th July 2011, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

That steering wheel looks terrific and I wish our Polo had it. But before stumbling into a decision, first think about who will install the wheel for you? Is there anyone else who has done this before? And that steering wheel has controls for navigation, cruise control also which are not available in India. It's highly improbable that the steering would fit perfectly in the Indian Polo.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

That is one HOT steering wheel. However, even I suggest that you do not go ahead with this. Warranty will most likely be void.
If you really do want steering mounted controls, get an after market remote mounted on the steering. Most if them work seamlessly with the audio systems.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If youre removing the stock system, and getting an aftermarket, then you can cut away the wires from the stereo to glory, before the factroy socket.
no cutting of VW wires, no warranty void.
youll need more spending before that, though:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...o-control.html
Otherwise, if using on stock system, i dont think VW would have provided connecting points on their wiring to have a PnP for these controls.
In that case, no, dont connect.
So, nothing to stop you from getting this, and holding off connecting till warranty runs out?
it'll be a pain sitting in the drivers seat, and looking at non-functioning buttons though.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Steering wheel is a killer. I don't mind going with the same steering wheel for my Vento TDI HL. I'm little skeptical about the Airbag that comes along. Would like to know, will the Airbag still be functional? May I may what would be price of the steering wheel?
Think audio controls would still be functional with OE music system.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:18   #8
BHPian

Having taken a new Polo 1.6, I too was completely disappointed with the steering wheel, a 8 lakh rupees car without even a leather wrap, let alone the controls for music system! Being a small car, the music system was easy to reach and steering controls were not much of a bother to me but I got the wheel wrapped with Stanley leather that has improved the comfort tremendously. The problem though is, they had to cover the hole at the bottom of the wheel which makes it look ordinary designwise. If you are willing for a steering change, I recommend installing the ones from Vento Highline with leather wrap and aluminium surround at the hole in the bottom.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
I recommend installing the ones from Vento Highline with leather wrap and aluminium surround at the hole in the bottom.
Chrome surround at the bottom of the steering goes missing for all the new versions of Vento HL. This had happend to my Vento HL as well.

Is there any chance of using the above steering wheel for the current setup?
Old 11th July 2011, 15:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_8055 View Post

Can I have this Steering Wheel fitted onto an Indian Polo 1.6, without any harness issues, and warranty void issues? Additionally, will the wiring provided actually manage to connect to the stock audio system to act as fully-functional steering mounted audio controls?
Even if the steering fits, the functions will not work. The wiring harness for Indian Polo is totally different.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:49   #11
BHPian

Just wondering if it is possible to procure only the steering/phone controls and fit them into the existing Polo/Vento steering wheel. If you notice, the places on the wheel where the controls look like seperate parts that can be replaced independently. Any comments on the possiblity of doing this, guys?
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:03   #12
BHPian

@ rtm 8055: I'd say you have a 10% chance of getting this steering wheel to function fully in the Indian Polo. You'll be looking at changes to the slip ring, the wiring harness, the OBD, et al. The Polos available in Europe are made in Pamplona, Spain, and save for the visual similarities, have a lot of internal differences with those made here. Indian Polos have a lot more in common with the ones made in Russia. My advice? Best forget about retrofitting the Golf wheel into your brand new Polo. Not worth the hassle, not to mention the warranty issues that might crop up.

@ sith lord: I think the above more or less answers your question. There might be a possibility of retrofixing steering controls as and when the Indian versions come out with it. As far as I know, partial steering controls (bluetooth and stereo) are only available in the Polo sedan, i.e Vento, that are exported to South Africa from India. They may trickle down to domestic models sometime in the distant future.
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 23:11   #13
BHPian

Hey rtm, did you finally procure the steering wheel?

Even I was planning for the same but unsure about a couple of things.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:01   #14
BHPian

Also the player rns 310 would be required for the steering remote to work. When I checked price on eBay uk site it was costing about gbp350 . Does anyone know the price of that steering? We may be able to hook up witson.

Also a stupid question probably? I have seen people import mivic engine for lancer and someone was importing Honda civic engine and replacing in their cars. Is it possible to get the vento engine? The other option I was thinking was to get a vento and chop off the boot and convert into a polo, lol. Of course these are all day dreaming questions, simply because checking other cars in Europe makes one wonder
Old 1st September 2011, 22:17   #15
BHPian

I have decided not to go ahead with my initial plans. Thank you for your advice every one, I have considered it all and have therefore come to this decision. It is very unlikely that this whole project would be successful. Therefore I plan to sit back until another idea props up, or until Frontosa and Himanshu's Witson plan develops into something concrete.

RTM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks