Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2006, 18:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smoked lens taillamps.

Today i've seen a red swift with smoked lens tail lamps. Some cars also come with smoked lens headlamps.

I want to know how to get that smoked lens effect with the tail lamps. Are the stock lens modded or are such lenses available off the shelf in the market?
Old 10th February 2006, 18:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

as far as i know those are OE, some stick sun control over the lens to get the effect lol
Old 10th February 2006, 19:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ok. I got the answer here it is...

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ast-A...over~Paint.htm

Now i would like to know if these are available in India?

Interesting thing is you can even paint the bulbs but the colour of light remains original. Comes as both temporary and permanent paints. They say the light intensity won't get affected... if that's the case smoked headlamps would look cool
Old 10th February 2006, 19:16   #4
BHPian

No actually even I have seen the same kind and it is not sunfilm.....
yes, i have seen a few with sunfilm too, but quite a few lens have smoked glass...
Old 10th February 2006, 20:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its paint. It's not sunfilm. Check out that link i've posted.

I'm thinkin of getting those.
Old 27th December 2009, 23:58   #6

Hey
As far as I've noticed there is alot of confusion when it come so smoked lamps.
I've listed below the types of headlights that look smoked:

1. Aftermarket(or custom made) headlights which have a black plastic inlay instead of the regular silver ones. They usually have projectors(with angel-eyes/halos) with the rest of the area black instead of the usual silver. Many people consider them as smoked which is not true.
2. Tinting is also an option for smoking but a special "SMOKED TINT' is available(I don't know if it's available in India yet) which can be put directly on the lens. This is a tedious job as most headlamps have slight curves which cause the tint to wrinkle. The best way to do this is by using a heatgun. Some people also use the regular tints instead of the "smoked tints".
3. The most widely used method is spray painting. The paint used for smoking is not usual but a different translucent type of a paint ('VHT Nightshades' being a major brand). The headlights are removed. The lenses are sand papered and sprayed with multiple layers of the paint depending on the amount of transparency you desire. VHT Nightshade - Visual/Body Modifications

Most Viewed