Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 10:06   #1
BHPian

Renault LOGAN 1.6 petrol 8v Modding

Guys,
I am planning to start doing performance modding for my logan 1.6 petrol. I am planning to start with K&N 57i filter (as per their website, it is possible to do that) .
I am wondering what all can be done with this engine for boosting the power!!!. Currently it is completely stock. I am planning to mod the engine, repaint to a race car color, and add skirts.
Please suggest possible options for me..
Cheers
Moose
Old 13th July 2011, 10:13   #2
MG5
BANNED

Re: Renault LOGAN 1.6 petrol 8v Modding

Hey!

IMO, Logan has lot of tuning potential.

If you want performace go for these:
Turbocharger
Polishing and Porting
Exhaust Setup
Better Air Intake
Forged Internals if going for NOS or the psi of turbo is more than 5-6,

If you do too much of power upgrades be sure to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

Exterior Modification.:

Ground Clearance
Paint Job
Bodykits
Smoked Tail Lamps

Be sure to get all the stuff done by an expert!

Happy Modding!

Thanx
Old 13th July 2011, 10:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Guys,
I am planning to start doing performance modding for my logan 1.6 petrol. I am planning to start with K&N 57i filter (as per their website, it is possible to do that) .
I am wondering what all can be done with this engine for boosting the power!!!. Currently it is completely stock. I am planning to mod the engine, repaint to a race car color, and add skirts.
Please suggest possible options for me..
Cheers
Moose
Look, With all due respect, the 1.6 engine in the Logan is a lemon. What you are looking at is something that will sound nice and something that will look decently sporty from the way you have typed your query. A "Race Car Color" and "Skirts", etc are not what will turn the car into something that will give you any sort of performance. Neither will spending money on engine mods. To make something powerful, you have to begin with something with a good base. The Logan is not your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG5 View Post
Hey!

IMO, Logan has lot of tuning potential.

If you want performace go for these:
Turbocharger
Polishing and Porting
Exhaust Setup
Better Air Intake
Forged Internals if going for NOS or the psi of turbo is more than 5-6,

If you do too much of power upgrades be sure to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

Exterior Modification.:

Ground Clearance
Paint Job
Bodykits
Smoked Tail Lamps

Be sure to get all the stuff done by an expert!

Happy Modding!

Thanx

This is a "usual" reply here on this forum. But this is of no use. The Logan with its underpowered 1.6 is not an engine anyone in India (apart from maybe Nivit Bhasin) would turbo charge, or run "NOS" on. Yeah sure, an exhaust will help, but only slightly. And, I have said this go knows how many times, and I will say it again, K&N filters or similar will NOT make any difference to the power. With all due respect to you my friend, I would like to know what exterior modification "Ground Clearance" exactly is. Im kidding, dont answer that.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:00   #4
BHPian

Well, as per the internet inputs seen, the 1.6L engine can be modded to an extent. I know that there is no possibility to make this an evo engine. The power for the logan with this engine is about 90bhp and the engine is a low rev stuff. It attains full torque at about 3K rpm.
From my half baked understanding, there is a possibility to improve the throttle response as a first step. The chasis of logan is same for the internationally available 100HP 16V (same engine) model. So this chasis will take another 25 hp with ease.

MY questions are
1. What does the K&N Do? (they have a guarenteed BHP increase clause)
2. Does a Free flow exhaust help to improve the throttle response?
Old 13th July 2011, 11:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
And, I have said this go knows how many times, and I will say it again, K&N filters or similar will NOT make any difference to the power.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you bro. I think it depends on the kit, and how the filter is designed. If you just get a conical put in with a jugaad pipe then it won't make a difference. But if its a kit designed for the car specifically, then it will certainly make a difference. There was a noticeable increase in my cars power when I installed the Typhoon.

For the OP - Since you already have the Logan, no point in telling you to change cars, etc. If there is a 57i intake then I guess you should get that. After that get a custom made exhaust, including the headers. First get these 2 done and see what sort of an increase you get with this. Then decide if you want more.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:09   #6

Quote:
Well, as per the internet inputs seen, the 1.6L engine can be modded to an extent. I know that there is no possibility to make this an evo engine. The power for the logan with this engine is about 90bhp and the engine is a low rev stuff. It attains full torque at about 3K rpm.
From my half baked understanding, there is a possibility to improve the throttle response as a first step. The chasis of logan is same for the internationally available 100HP 16V (same engine) model. So this chasis will take another 25 hp with ease.

MY questions are
The Chassis can certainly handle much more. It is one of the finest chassis I have driven in that sector of the market. And the K&N will not do much. The exhaust on the other hand certainly will. There is not question about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree with you bro. I think it depends on the kit, and how the filter is designed. If you just get a conical put in with a jugaad pipe then it won't make a difference. But if its a kit designed for the car specifically, then it will certainly make a difference. There was a noticeable increase in my cars power when I installed the Typhoon.

For the OP - Since you already have the Logan, no point in telling you to change cars, etc. If there is a 57i intake then I guess you should get that. After that get a custom made exhaust, including the headers. First get these 2 done and see what sort of an increase you get with this. Then decide if you want more.
I have never once found any noticeable difference in performance difference in anyone who has used a conical or a replacement filter. I dont really know much about your CAI and Typhoon but they were designed specifically for your car. The logan does not have a specific version I believe. Also, there was an industry report about air filters from around the world and their so called performance gains and comparisons to how much particulate matter they let into your engine and K&N came in dead last for the latter. I am not sold on this whole intake thing. The engine is going to let in as much air as it possibly can from the intake manifold, a filter just wont change it. Carbs on the other hand are a diff ballgame. But then this has been discussed to the grave isnt it.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have never once found any noticeable difference in performance difference in anyone who has used a conical or a replacement filter. I dont really know much about your CAI and Typhoon but they were designed specifically for your car. The logan does not have a specific version I believe. Also, there was an industry report about air filters from around the world and their so called performance gains and comparisons to how much particulate matter they let into your engine and K&N came in dead last for the latter. I am not sold on this whole intake thing. The engine is going to let in as much air as it possibly can from the intake manifold, a filter just wont change it. Carbs on the other hand are a diff ballgame. But then this has been discussed to the grave isnt it.
Yes this has been discussed a lot. I agree a simple conical, or a replacement filter won't add to the power, but will make the engine a bit more free revving. Frankly there are too many reports contradicting each other when it comes to air filters, and the particulate matter etc. In the end I'm happy with the Typhoon, and I guess thats what matters.

In my car when I make it a CAI I instantly feel the increase in low down torque, whereas with the Short Ram it revvs quicker.

Come and have a look when your in Bbay next.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:16   #8
BHPian

Ofcourse...we know how the Logan looks like, but it will be good for 'imagination' sake if you can upload a picture of your ride. That will help even better to provide additional suggestions
Old 13th July 2011, 11:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Yes this has been discussed a lot. I agree a simple conical, or a replacement filter won't add to the power, but will make the engine a bit more free revving. Frankly there are too many reports contradicting each other when it comes to air filters, and the particulate matter etc. In the end I'm happy with the Typhoon, and I guess thats what matters.

In my car when I make it a CAI I instantly feel the increase in low down torque, whereas with the Short Ram it revvs quicker.

Come and have a look when your in Bbay next.
Certainly. September it is.

coming back to the Logan, The only surefire way I can think of to gain power out of that engine is a set of Cams and an Exhaust. I would do nothing more to that car. Another way of course is a Remap, but I dont think the innards may take the extra power. And I dont think anyone in India makes a remap for this engine.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MY questions are
For starters get the K&N (please don't expect miracles with this) and additionally a FFE. The FFE can be designed for low end torque or top end depending on your preference.
However installing a K&N wouldn't make much of change than an increase in mental horse power. Improves the air intake and cant think of anything else than a mild roar. This is also if you get yourself a conical intake and not the stock replacement.

Quote:
Like I said mental horse power at-least from the experience of a few owners on this forum and yours truly .

Quote:
Does a Free flow exhaust help to improve the throttle response?
It does depending on what you design it for, low end or top end. Once again make sure you go to a renowned installer . Get a good end can too, you definitely should feel the difference.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:30   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys..
What i would like to know is what could be the cost for doing a good FFE and who in south, preferably in chennai/tn can do that well?
I would certainly prefer a low end torque! (am i right here?)
Old 13th July 2011, 11:32   #12
MG5
BANNED

Quote:
Look, With all due respect, the 1.6 engine in the Logan is a lemon.
================
Im kidding, dont answer that.
Sorry, I used the wrong word, I mean the ride height! and yeah, Logan's 1.6 engine is very much tuning capable.

One can even do an engine swap.

Peace.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th July 2011 at 12:40. Reason: Dotty post, please avoid typing like this.... and use proper punctuation instead. Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 11:37   #13

Quote:
What i would like to know is what could be the cost for doing a good FFE and who in south, preferably in chennai/tn can do that well?
Low End torque and power is helpful when it comes to city driving and mid or highend is preferred for highway driving IMHO. I for one prefer high end torque simply because I hate a car that has a strained top end rev range. That is exactly why my alto (800cc) feels fantastic in the higher end but has lag down low in the city especially with the AC on.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should set you back by at-least 12-14k if you plan to get it done from a reputed installer. I checked the tuner directory here on tbhp and cant find anyone from Chennai who does a FFE job. Maybe the local Chennai anna's can chip in here.

If you plan to get a different end can like remus/magnaflow etc the end can alone will cost you upwards of 15k.

You could also check with Automech as to how much they charge for a FFE. Try this link : AutoMECH Engineers
Old 13th July 2011, 18:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dear MuzzledMosse, before you take a plunge and do any modding, I would suggest you read as much as possible and enlighten yourself about the pros and cons of each upgrade. Once you learn these things, you will be a better judge of what you want to do.

The debate on CAI on a forum like this for instance, will end up being a debate of what came first "the chicken or the egg".

So, read up thoroughly and once you understand the pros and cons, go ahead and do the mods. Better knowledge makes you take a more knowledgable decision and not somehthing that will make you regret later. Even I am in the process of tuning one of my cars. Went looking for CAI, and each dealer had a differenet story and brand loyalty to share.One guy was against CAI and said a RAM intake is good, while another said CAI, RAM and replacement are all marketing gimmicks. Gave up speaking to dealers and began doing research on the net. Anyway, enough said here

Keep these points in mind before you mod your car

1. Read as much as possible about the various brands, their setup and so on.
2. Go one at a time, and feel the difference with each mod. Start with CAI, then FFE. Post this you can add a tuning box from Race Dynamics.
3. To complete the external look, a set of alloys and skirts should do. Avoid any flashy body colours and keep it single tone, if you do decide to change the coour. Remember, Sleeper is in these days
4. You can go in for a good suspension setup, better tyres and brakes. But all this depends on how fast you are planning to drive and so on.
5. As for FFE, I generally prefer the higher end tuned, so it lets me flex its muscles on the highway

Keep us posted. But remeber, do your own homework and that knowledge will help you make the best choice.

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 13th July 2011 at 18:05.
thedreamcatcher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks