Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 15:28   #106
BHPian

Re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

I have been reading a large number of posts regarding diesel tuing and thought I would put in my 2 cents too.

First and foremost, Diesel tuning has to be done with extreme care. The simplest approach is to increase fuelling (most commonly by rail pressure or by injector timing pulse extension). With more and more engines going the multijet way, rail pressure is becoming the most popular method.

The key question is how intelligently and adaptively can rail pressure be varied.

Most tuning boxes intercept the rail pressure signal going to the ecu and alter the signal so that the ecu increases the rail pressure above normal. (Of course you have the simple resistor trick also achieving the same result, albeit in a much cruder fashion !)

Since the devices are not connected to any other signal, they cannot adapt to other parameters such as boost pressure, throttle position, rpm etc. It is necessary to monitor these if a really intelligent tune is to be done. In extreme tunes, the tuning box should even monitor EGTs.

For example, at low rpms and low load, increasing the fuel by the same amount will only result in smoke and high EGTs. Similarly, if fuel pressure is increased indiscriminately at higher rpms and load, engine upper cylnder temperatures will shoot up and can lead to catastrophic damage to pistons and turbochargers. I have seen some mutilated internals of turbochargers as a result of such tuning efforts.

The right method is to increase rail pressure only up to a point if boost pressures are not increased.

Advanced units on the market can do boost control also. Boost control can be done a in a number of ways. On cars with VGT, an intelligent tuning box can easily control boost and correspondingly increase fuelling. In my experience, good results have been achieved with such an approach. Even on cars without VGTs, there are methods of doing boost control.

On such units, it is even possible to give acceleration compensation when the throttle is floored so that the driving experience is good.

Cheers
sapl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 15:15   #107
BHPian

Re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapl View Post
Advanced units on the market can do boost control also. Boost control can be done a in a number of ways. On cars with VGT, an intelligent tuning box can easily control boost and correspondingly increase fuelling.
Thanks for the write-up. Can you name any such boxes available in India or easily obtainable from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I have my own doubts on the "Cosworth" part or heritage. It's thought provoking that Cosworth offers remapping ONLY in INDIA. Go to any of their world sites and you wont see Remapping services mentioned anywhere...Not even in Europe which is the mecca of remapping scene!

I have posted a bit more at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2653627

Food for thought?
Certainly food for thought; I find listing India as a separate region in itself "suspicious", for lack of a better word.

Last edited by ssh1979 : 9th February 2012 at 15:28.
Old 25th February 2012, 02:23   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979

Thanks for the write-up. Can you name any such boxes available in India or easily obtainable from here?

Certainly food for thought; I find listing India as a separate region in itself "suspicious", for lack of a better word.
Shyam just get a spider box. It blows my mind every time. Also what's the deal with you wanting 32" tyres?
Old 25th February 2012, 02:35   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Advanced units on the market can do boost control also. Boost control can be done a in a number of ways. On cars with VGT, an intelligent tuning box can easily control boost and correspondingly increase fuelling. In my experience, good results have been achieved with such an approach. Even on cars without VGTs, there are methods of doing boost control.

On such units, it is even possible to give acceleration compensation when the throttle is floored so that the driving experience is good.

Cheers
Any suggestions for such a box? Thank you
Old 25th February 2012, 09:58   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Any suggestions for such a box? Thank you
The best tuning box i can see which does all the above is the TMC tuning box.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 10:47   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
The best tuning box i can see which does all the above is the TMC tuning box.
What does TMC stand for?
Who manufactures this and is it available in INdia?
Old 25th February 2012, 12:10   #112
Senior - BHPian

TMC Motorsport - Car Products

cool, they have most of the cars listed, costing about 320 GBP including shipping.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 05:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

I have been doing some research. The TMC is costly at about 320 GBP.

Pete's has local support.

Any reviews on unichip?
Old 27th February 2012, 05:50   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
What does TMC stand for?
Who manufactures this and is it available in INdia?
who is making oem manufacuring for german company
Quote:
I have been reading a large number of posts regarding diesel tuing and thought I would put in my 2 cents too.
these boxes are called multichannel tuning boxes
with 2 or up to 5 connection in the engine for example
a mercedes c200 cg1 boxes have 5 connector including 1 for gear box also
since gear box limits engine for more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narry View Post
these boxes are called multichannel tuning boxes
a mercedes c200 cg1 boxes have 5 connector including 1 for gear box also
since gear box limits engine for more power
narry
doest matter what is made in china matter who makes it
have a look for audi 3.0tdi engine

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Take time to type your post. There are way too many punctuations and wrong spellings.

If you want your signature to feature in every post then do that in your profile page.
Attached Thumbnails
Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2-audi-a8-d3-3l-v6-tdi-small.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th February 2012 at 09:41.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:41   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narry View Post

have a look for audi 3.0tdi engine
We generally use the following inputs for common rail engines when tuning with the Unichip:

1. Crank Position sensor
2. Boost pressure sensor
3. Throttle position sensor
4. Rail pressure sensor

However, this varies from car to car.

Cheers
Old 5th April 2012, 17:45   #116
alphamike

Many thanks for sharing the information on Unichip: -

with all the 4 sensors connected as compared to one only to the ECU on the after market Tuning Boxes, how much additional performance is enhanced from stock to tuned and also in comparison to the otherwise available tuning boxes in the market today.

Old 6th April 2012, 12:09   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapl

We generally use the following inputs for common rail engines when tuning with the Unichip:

1. Crank Position sensor
2. Boost pressure sensor
3. Throttle position sensor
4. Rail pressure sensor

However, this varies from car to car.

Cheers
Thanks for this info. I also believe that Unichip is healthier and better for your car now. You've got me looking into it too! Any idea what the price range is? Tried contacting the Bangalore dealer but no response.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike View Post
Many thanks for sharing the information on Unichip: -

with all the 4 sensors connected as compared to one only to the ECU on the after market Tuning Boxes, how much additional performance is enhanced from stock to tuned and also in comparison to the otherwise available tuning boxes in the market today.
I am very sorry for the late response - have been travelling a bit.

When you do a scientific tuning with so many inputs taken into account, it is not just pure performance that you get - the main plus is the extremely smooth driving experience, the safety of the engine, the lack of smoke etc.

Of course, the performance is also enhanced. I am attaching a couple of dyno graphs to show the results - one on the Punto 90 and another on the Tata Safari Dicor.

We are also able to add features like giving acceleration enhancement - when the driver floors the throttle, we can give a transient enrichment of fuel which will give the extra punch on sudden acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Thanks for this info. I also believe that Unichip is healthier and better for your car now. You've got me looking into it too! Any idea what the price range is? Tried contacting the Bangalore dealer but no response.
Thanks for the comment. I am sending you a pm with the pricing. We are in the process of strengthening our Bangalore presence.
Attached Thumbnails
Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2-punto-90-power.jpeg  

Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2-tata-safari-dicor-pwr.jpeg  

sapl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 13:10   #119
BHPian

Gents,

I drive a Laura 1.9PD and recently bought a Cruze Automatic in April '12. A fine car except that the lag is killing the fun of overtaking on long drives, which is one of the key reasons we buy powerful cars. I am not interested in top end since I dont generally go beyond 130-140 , that too when overtaking only.

I searched the forum, but havent come across a thread that discussed resolving Cruze Auto's lag issue. Now I am thinking of remapping the car from Petes/Red Rooster/ any other .

Laura is 1.9PD Manual , Petes tuned as in Custom Code Stage 1 Remapped. I am very happy with the result and service from Petes and boy one of the reasons the cruze is not a favourite now is because we end up comparing it with the Laura.

My confusion is ,
1.Will remapping resolve this issue?
2.Which is the best remap available for Cruze AT?
3.Chevrolet Dealer claims they have a remap now. I dont know any details about that.

Your advise will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by artofzen : 25th July 2012 at 13:12.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very sorry for the late response - have been travelling a bit.

When you do a scientific tuning with so many inputs taken into account, it is not just pure performance that you get - the main plus is the extremely smooth driving experience, the safety of the engine, the lack of smoke etc.

Of course, the performance is also enhanced. I am attaching a couple of dyno graphs to show the results - one on the Punto 90 and another on the Tata Safari Dicor.

We are also able to add features like giving acceleration enhancement - when the driver floors the throttle, we can give a transient enrichment of fuel which will give the extra punch on sudden acceleration.

Thanks for the comment. I am sending you a pm with the pricing. We are in the process of strengthening our Bangalore presence.
Why wasnt the Safari given another run to see which is the best for it? I understand that the tuned version make approximately 160bhp; was it set to the same?

And would you have the info how the vehicle is now and how much it has run till date?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks