Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 20:42   #31
rbp
BHPian

Re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

@Endeavour333:- Any smoke issues with the spider under hard acceleration?
Old 5th September 2011, 22:28   #32
BHPian

Re: Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
That is bogus. You increase the power and torque of an engine with a tuning box. The transmission has no role in it. The engine never knows which gear you are in. It knows the current RPM and the throttle position. And according to these inputs it develops a certain amount of torque. Transmission is out of question.
I have to disagree here. These tuning boxes work by altering signals to/from the ECU. If they can do that, they should most certainly be able to understand which gear the vehicle is in and accordingly modify the signals. The ECU knows what gear you're in at any given point of time. I'm not saying this box does it. I'm just saying we cannot completely rule it out as hogwash.

Last edited by Tassem : 5th September 2011 at 22:30.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
If they can do that, they should most certainly be able to understand which gear the vehicle is in and accordingly modify the signals. The ECU knows what gear you're in at any given point of time.
No. At least not in a petrol engine with manual transmission.
I agree it is not impossible for an ECU to know the current gear, (Match RPM and Vehicle speed) but no where in any calibration tables I have seen such cases.
I think it would be same with diesels too.

Tuning box just amplifies the fuel injection amount thats it. I would understand if they said, 10% improvement in torque below 2000RPM & 15% above 2000RPM.
oxyzen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 23:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
No. At least not in a petrol engine with manual transmission.
I agree it is not impossible for an ECU to know the current gear, (Match RPM and Vehicle speed) but no where in any calibration tables I have seen such cases.
I think it would be same with diesels too.
The reason I mentioned is because most cars nowadays can show you the gear you're currently driving in and suggest gears as well.

But you're explanation that it does so by matching RPM and vehicle speed makes complete sense.

Quote:
Tuning box just amplifies the fuel injection amount thats it. I would understand if they said, 10% improvement in torque below 2000RPM & 15% above 2000RPM.
Isn't this what they advertise as well? Do they claim to do more than inject more fuel? This also justifies the use of low restriction filters to reduce the amount of unburnt fuel. I'm speculating here
Old 6th September 2011, 10:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
BTW did you notice any increased turbo lag with increased turbo pressure?
Nope no turbo lag at all. The thing with the Endeavour's Auto box is that it very rarely lets the revs drop below 2000 under even moderate acceleration. Only if you very lightly press the accel (up to about 10% pedal travel) will is keep revs low and not raise above 2000. So there was never any turbo lag with this car to begin with. One of the things that I love about it. The increased turbo pressure just made it punchier at lower revs but I did notice the power and torque dropping off quite significantly above 3,500 RPM. Max torque for the Endeavour is at 2500 RPM, Max power at 3,200 RPM. In my previous Endeavour the turbo started to kick in at 1800 RPMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
@Endeavour333:- Any smoke issues with the spider under hard acceleration?
None whatsoever Very very happy with the box. It has infinitely variable fuel maps and adjusts according to your driving style. If you dont gun it and drive conservatively it adapts with a more fuel efficient fuel map but if you gun it once, it instantly switches to a more responsive and performance oriented fuel map. Good technology here indeed.

Quote:

Isn't this what they advertise as well? Do they claim to do more than inject more fuel? This also justifies the use of low restriction filters to reduce the amount of unburnt fuel. I'm speculating here
The Spider Box is different Especially because it does so much more than just inject more fuel into the engine. They make sure to advertise this point. I have posted this link several times but no one seems to check it out. It is a link to the technology page of the Spider listing out all the high tech features of the tuning box and describing what each one is exactly. It will answer all your questions --> Spider® diesel tuning.
Old 6th September 2011, 13:19   #36
BHPian

Thanks Ende for the review.

I am caught up in between Pete and Spider for my Fiesta.

Pete - 43K
Spider - 24K

After reading your review, I will probabaly give it a shot. I will visit Four Seasons this saturday and see what they have for Fiesta.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
The Spider Box is different Especially because it does so much more than just inject more fuel into the engine. They make sure to advertise this point. I have posted this link several times but no one seems to check it out. It is a link to the technology page of the Spider listing out all the high tech features of the tuning box and describing what each one is exactly. It will answer all your questions --> Spider® diesel tuning.
I just checked the link and I must say its very impressive. The infinite mapping technology is really interesting.

What is the warranty offered? Is RRP the centre which honors the warranty?

@firebird: 43k for the Fiesta box? Whats so different about it that it warrants such a price difference?!
Old 6th September 2011, 17:17   #38
BHPian

Edit:

Is this true for India as well? If it is, I'm sold! The Spider Unit makes other tuning boxes look archaic!

From the Website:

"Warranty information -The Spider® has a fantastic warranty both with the product, and aIso with your car.
The Spider®: A comprehensive 5 year product warranty is incIuded with all Spider® units. We will repair any defective product which fails within 5 years from the date of purchase. Should we be unable to repair it, we will exchange it for a complete new system (new for old). Fair wear and tear on connection Iooms are excluded. More information on our warranty is available in our terms of sale.
Your car: We cover your cars engine and transmission against damage* for 12 months from the date of purchase of your Spider®. This additional warranty is included with all units. Only one claim per vehicle."
Old 6th September 2011, 22:08   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hey buddy, I wonder how the dealer used a swift box on your car, considering on the website it mentions, the connectors along with a chip have to be changed if using on a different car. So this is actually not a universal box (good) and uses a specific chip for whatever car it is meant for. Hopefully yours is actually an Endeavour box.
Old 7th September 2011, 12:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Edit:

Is this true for India as well? If it is, I'm sold! The Spider Unit makes other tuning boxes look archaic!

From the Website:

"Warranty information -The Spider® has a fantastic warranty both with the product, and aIso with your car.
The Spider®: A comprehensive 5 year product warranty is incIuded with all Spider® units. We will repair any defective product which fails within 5 years from the date of purchase. Should we be unable to repair it, we will exchange it for a complete new system (new for old). Fair wear and tear on connection Iooms are excluded. More information on our warranty is available in our terms of sale.
Your car: We cover your cars engine and transmission against damage* for 12 months from the date of purchase of your Spider®. This additional warranty is included with all units. Only one claim per vehicle."
Yup, just checked with the dealer and it is true for India as well! I was too excited when I was buying the box to think to ask about warranties and stuff. So I was very glad to find this out myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey buddy, I wonder how the dealer used a swift box on your car, considering on the website it mentions, the connectors along with a chip have to be changed if using on a different car. So this is actually not a universal box (good) and uses a specific chip for whatever car it is meant for. Hopefully yours is actually an Endeavour box.
I was doubtful about trying the swift box on my car as well and I asked him if it will still work and he said that it will. The connectors for the swift are exactly the same as my Endeavour so he was able to fit the box to my car. I suspect that might have been one of the reasons for the weird behavior of my car when I tested it (Engine stopping at 3,300 rpm). The box is supposed to be able to adapt to each engine so I thought that it would still work.

I might be wrong but I think that it is only the connectors that vary from box to box. Other than that the box has some power and rpm settings... both go from notches 1 to 8. Power comes set at 4 when stock and so does the rpm I think. So maybe it is those adjustments that change from car to car too. once again, i'm not sure, this is just some information I have from doing some research on the box.

The one thing I know for sure that the box is working amazingly in my car
Old 7th September 2011, 12:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I was doubtful about trying the swift box on my car as well and I asked him if it will still work and he said that it will. The connectors for the swift are exactly the same as my Endeavour so he was able to fit the box to my car. I suspect that might have been one of the reasons for the weird behavior of my car when I tested it (Engine stopping at 3,300 rpm). The box is supposed to be able to adapt to each engine so I thought that it would still work.

I might be wrong but I think that it is only the connectors that vary from box to box. Other than that the box has some power and rpm settings... both go from notches 1 to 8. Power comes set at 4 when stock and so does the rpm I think. So maybe it is those adjustments that change from car to car too. once again, i'm not sure, this is just some information I have from doing some research on the box.

The one thing I know for sure that the box is working amazingly in my car
Spider® diesel tuning - Chip exchange™.

Have a look at that.
Old 8th September 2011, 14:53   #42
BANNED

hi
the connector is a bosch connector used in many cars with bosch ecu
such of suzuki swift , ford even hyundai
the software file for swift and ford 2.4 tcdi or 2.5 tcdi engine is diffrent
narry
Attached Thumbnails
Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2-dscf1291.jpg  

Old 14th September 2011, 21:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
SPIDER DIESEL TUNING BOX REVIEW:

I hope this was a pleasant read and that it helps someone looking to purchase a Tuning Box someday.

-Vishnu
Does fitting this box void my 3 year extended warranty?
Old 15th September 2011, 18:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
Does fitting this box void my 3 year extended warranty?
I'm pretty sure Ford wont be too hapy about you fitting it but everytime it goes in for service it is very very easily removable. You can just re-attach it after you get the car back and all will be back to normal. All you have to do to detach it is cut the zip tie that hold it together, unplug the Spider and reconnect the ECU cable properly. When you attach it back you dont have to wait 50km or whatever for the Spider to retune itself to your engine. It performs instantly. Atleast thats what the dealer told me. Havent tested it myself yet. I really love it so far though. I think you will too.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how i missed this thread earlier. Really interesting discussion. Glad to know that the box is working fine on the Endy.

You might find this site to be an interesting read when you are free --> www.enginecal.com

These are the guys who have modified my Spark and their specialty is Diesel Tuning Box. They are of the same ideal as the ideas reflected in this very thread. They don't go overboard with their recommendations at the same time providing the fun to drive factor. Makes for a good reading.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks