Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 21:32   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Beat - ECU Remap

Hello All

I have recently had issues with a pick up lag in my Beat in second and the reverse gear. It was pathetic. My engine used to knock when it was at lower RPMs on second gear. Hence after reading all the reviews here on our community, I went to the service center and got the ECU remap done. It was done on my request + the test drive done by the service advisor. Even he suggested the same. I saw a lot of people complaining about FE drop after the new ECU settings. After my tests, My FE has increased. Earlier I used to get 13-14, yesterday when I checked, I got 17-18 (without AC on in the City) - Dont know how.

Result after the ECU remap: I am now getting an FE of 17-18 with AC off and amazing pickup. Now my beat is the first one to zoom past ahead in the traffic signal, unless there is a BMW or a better vehicle standing to race down up on me. I some how feel that the 1st gear has lost is torque. Not really noticable, but its ok with me until my vehicle does not knock in second gear and zoooms past ahead.

Suggestions: I would definitely suggest Beat Owners to check if their ECU needs to be remapped with their respective service centers. Any new information or an update would be a cherry on the cake.
RacingHart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 21:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat - ECU Remap

In my case, the FE got increased by ~1kmpl and stabilized without much of fluctuations after the ECU remap.
I had posted this earlier in my ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2230954
Old 18th August 2011, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
In my case, the FE got increased by ~1kmpl and stabilized without much of fluctuations after the ECU remap.
I had posted this earlier in my ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2230954

Thanks Salbin for putting some light on it. I think GM has to send out a mass notice for the ECU remap of Beat Owners. I think it is only necessary for vehicles that were purchased before June 2011. Correct me if I am wrong please
Old 18th August 2011, 17:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingHart View Post

Result after the ECU remap: I am now getting an FE of 17-18 with AC off and amazing pickup. Now my beat is the first one to zoom past ahead in the traffic signal, unless there is a BMW or a better vehicle standing to race down up on me. I some how feel that the 1st gear has lost is torque. Not really noticable, but its ok with me until my vehicle does not knock in second gear and zoooms past ahead.

Suggestions: I would definitely suggest Beat Owners to check if their ECU needs to be remapped with their respective service centers. Any new information or an update would be a cherry on the cake.
Can you please let us know which setting did you went for. As per our official test drive thread, there are 3 settings.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 18th August 2011, 19:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Can you please let us know which setting did you went for. As per our official test drive thread, there are 3 settings.

Cheers!

Vinu

Hi Vinu

I am not sure which setting they have changed to. I will ask my service advisor and let you know. Cheers Thank you.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All

I have recently had issues with a pick up lag in my Beat in second and the reverse gear. It was pathetic. My engine used to knock when it was at lower RPMs on second gear. Hence after reading all the reviews here on our community, I went to the service center and got the ECU remap done. It was done on my request + the test drive done by the service advisor. Even he suggested the same. I saw a lot of people complaining about FE drop after the new ECU settings. After my tests, My FE has increased. Earlier I used to get 13-14, yesterday when I checked, I got 17-18 (without AC on in the City) - Dont know how.

I suppose you have bought your car in April 2011. Your car would have come with New Smartech-II Engine which was available in the Beat from 1st February 2011. This new engine already had new ECU mapping. So I couldn't get what was wrong with your car.
Old 29th August 2011, 20:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
I suppose you have bought your car in April 2011. Your car would have come with New Smartech-II Engine which was available in the Beat from 1st February 2011. This new engine already had new ECU mapping. So I couldn't get what was wrong with your car.

I dont know what was wrong with my car, but it really works great, after the ECU remap....
Old 30th August 2011, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know what was wrong with my car, but it really works great, after the ECU remap....
I am running my April 2010 Beat with original ECU setting and getting a decent FE, though the performance in 2nd gear is not appreciable. Earlier I opted for ECU remapping, but after remapping FE dropped and there was knocking issue too, so I reverted to original ECU setting. But now after reading your post and also of other members of the forum who are getting good FE as well as performance, and also because of the fact Beat is now coming with the new ECU setting, I will get the remapping done very soon and will post my experience.
Old 30th August 2011, 18:45   #9
BHPian

Guys,Now I feel little eased.After I noticed that low pickup in second ger(My car is August 2010) I was adviced to do the Second gear improvement settings by the service advisor.After that the FE has dropped drastically.I did it on september 2010.Today I took the car finally to the service center after confirming the FE issue myself(it took almost an year for me to conclude).The said they will install the new ECU setting,as it was showing("Lease Period Expired!!") .But they were not able to connect to the server today and have asked me to drop in any other day.Let me get the new version and will see.
But I am happy to hear that 2nd gear improvement is causing the FE drop.I was expecting some other trouble with car.I was getting hardly some 10.5 KMPL
Old 30th August 2011, 19:21   #10
BHPian

Yes, even i have gone for the remap. However, i have not noticed much difference with regards to changes in FE. My Beat is June 2010 version, but there is a pickup issue with 2nd gear, 5 people on board, AC on and uphill drive.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Guys,Now I feel little eased.After I noticed that low pickup in second ger(My car is August 2010) I was adviced to do the Second gear improvement settings by the service advisor.After that the FE has dropped drastically.
Last year I too opted for ECU remapping, but when I observed a drop in FE, I reverted to original setting. With original ECU setting I consistently got ~16-17 kmpl without AC & ~14-15 kmpl with AC in city and ~21-23 kmpl without AC and ~18-20 kmpl with AC on highways.

Quote:
Today I took the car finally to the service center after confirming the FE issue myself(it took almost an year for me to conclude).The said they will install the new ECU setting,as it was showing("Lease Period Expired!!") .But they were not able to connect to the server today and have asked me to drop in any other day.Let me get the new version and will see.
Yesterday I got my Beat's ECU remapped. GM has updated the remapping version from 3 to 4. With remapped ECU I haven't observed much difference in drivability, improvement is just marginal. Now I will check the FE under same set of driving conditions. If I find it better or equivalent than I will keep the new setting otherwise I will again go for original setting.
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Last year I too opted for ECU remapping, but when I observed a drop in FE, I reverted to original setting. With original ECU setting I consistently got ~16-17 kmpl without AC & ~14-15 kmpl with AC in city and ~21-23 kmpl without AC and ~18-20 kmpl with AC on highways..
Quote:
Yesterday I got my Beat's ECU remapped. GM has updated the remapping version from 3 to 4. With remapped ECU I haven't observed much difference in drivability, improvement is just marginal. Now I will check the FE under same set of driving conditions. If I find it better or equivalent than I will keep the new setting otherwise I will again go for original setting.
I took it to trident today.They are not sure what they need to do.They gave me a ECM reset.Do you have any idea how to do the ECU remap?
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I took it to trident today.They are not sure what they need to do.They gave me a ECM reset.Do you have any idea how to do the ECU remap?
ECM remapping can only be done by the Authorised Service Centre as it is done online by logging in to the website of General Motors. You said Trident people were not sure about remapping. Were you present at the time of remapping? If yes how they carried out the process.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
ECM remapping can only be done by the Authorised Service Centre as it is done online by logging in to the website of General Motors. You said Trident people were not sure about remapping. Were you present at the time of remapping? If yes how they carried out the process.
These were the steps they followed.
1)connected to MDI device
2)opened the software (Diaganostics tool)
3)clicked on the diagnosys icon
4)keyed in the car serial number
4)selected year 2010->chevrolet->beat
5)clicked on TDS display
6)it showed some other options like
a) ECM Reset
b) xxxxx
7)selected ECM reset;in 2 sec reset happened

Now I am again getting Knocking in second gear...

And they were looking at the calibaration number which ended like xxxxsy74.They told me it is the latest.I didnt see anything getting connected to GM server.I doubt it is not the proper way.There were a lot of confusion in doing thesexmuch.

Please share your understanding
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
And they were looking at the calibaration number which ended like xxxxsy74.They told me it is the latest.I didnt see anything getting connected to GM server.I doubt it is not the proper way.There were a lot of confusion in doing thesexmuch.

Please share your understanding
ECM resetting steps are as follows:
1. MID is connected to the ECM connector located under the dashboard (RHS)
2. MID is then connected to laptop
3. Ignition key is set to ON position
4. Logged in to GM Web site (gmglobalconnect)
5. Selected the GM Branch (i.e. GM (Korea))
6. Selected type of vehicle i.e Passenger Car
7. Selected Model Year i.e. 2010
8. Selected Car Name i.e. Beat
9. Car's VIN No. is automatically detected by the programme.
10. What is to be done in the car i.e. ECM Programming.
11. From option it is to be selected which ECM programming is required i.e.
(a) normal setting
(b) performance improvement (secong gear/drivability)
12. After selecting the desired programming Next dialogue box is clicked
13. When the programming is complete message will appear "your setting from xxxxxY2 has been changed to xxxxxY4".
This is the whole process which is done online.

Last edited by Topolino : 2nd September 2011 at 17:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks