Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2006, 21:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Engine /Gearbox additives - Any good?

HI

Are Engine and gear box additives/treatemtn like NULON etc any good or are they just marketing gimmicks? What are the merits/demerits?

What would the best pampering one could give a diesel (CRDI) be?

Sujit
Old 20th February 2006, 22:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

I've use OWS's engine protector.
My ikon's been running on OWS 10W40 synthetic oil with OWS engine protector for around 15000 kms now.

I could feel the difference in engine smoothness, 10% more FE,etc.. after the change from regular oil.But, the difference that the engine protector can be realised only after 100,000 kms or later.
Old 24th February 2006, 11:13   #3
BHPian

Nulon

Hello Sujit,

I have used NULON a lot in my earlier car - Esteem and it was silky smooth. I am planning to pamper my Accent CRDi with Nulon the moment I get my smoking problem fixed.

Sujit what is FE on your Accent CRDi

-------------------------------
I drive an Accent CRDi
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2006, 11:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh
Hello Sujit,

I have used NULON a lot in my earlier car - Esteem and it was silky smooth. I am planning to pamper my Accent CRDi with Nulon the moment I get my smoking problem fixed.

Sujit what is FE on your Accent CRDi

-------------------------------
I drive an Accent CRDi

I get 12.5 in city and 17-18 on the highway - both with AC - never drive without it! - She rides on 195/60 Michelin MXF Sports shod on 14 inch HR alloys - maybe stock tyres would have given me more... dunno.

Sujit
Old 25th February 2006, 23:45   #5
BHPian

Engine oil additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
HI

Are Engine and gear box additives/treatemtn like NULON etc any good or are they just marketing gimmicks? What are the merits/demerits?

What would the best pampering one could give a diesel (CRDI) be?

Sujit
Your sixth sense served you well here. They are all marketing gimmicks. If the oil additive is not certified by the US military then its not even worth draining down your drainpipe. Frothing is a serious problem with these oil additives. Do a google search for oil frothing and additives. YOu would be better off spending that much more on the normal oil that you would buy. The bestestestestestest pampering you could give your CRDI is absolutely unadulterated fuel. The second lollipop for your car would be frequent oil changes at 75 percent of the prescribed oil drain periods with good quality oil if you drive in dusty and city conditions. The thing that is likely to konk of first in your Accent CRDI is the fuel pump which costs a packet and it goes kaput only if you feed it adulterated fuel. Bye and wear your seatbelts
Old 26th February 2006, 17:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thats what I thought too Doctor..To pick up from where you left off..

1. Are there any US MIL approved oils in the market?

2. WHERE do you get good fule now a days?... I use The Super Diesel sold at BP Pure for Sure pumps..

3. What is a good quality oil to use here in India?/.. Lots of people tell me the fluids they use at the ASS is not really upto scratch. they generally drain only half and top up the rest etc etc etc

Rgds
Sujit
Old 27th February 2006, 02:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
2. WHERE do you get good fule now a days?... I use The Super Diesel sold at BP Pure for Sure pumps..
Dont know about good fuel. Trial and error i'd say. My bike mech tells me that u will not fine good fuel anywhere, they are always adulterated or the quantity is less(for the record i am from Chennai). Though i did hear from a few that the shell petrol pump was giving appreciably higher mileage. An increase of 4-5 kmpl per 50 bucks of fuel on a bullet.
I have tried xtramile diesel on my indica(think thats from indian oil but dont remember it corretcly), the engine actually sounded better, definitely worth the extra 30p or whatever it was.

Quote:
3. What is a good quality oil to use here in India?/.. Lots of people tell me the fluids they use at the ASS is not really upto scratch. they generally drain only half and top up the rest etc etc etc
Hear this all over the place. I heard in many authorized service stations, they really do nothing on the bike, leave alone topping up half the oil.

I somehow like the idea of the engine oil additives. But I dont try it because each of engine oils have been formulated for different characteristics. Trying to play chemist might not neccesserily make it better and I think results will be different with different oils, for their compositions are different. If I had an accent CRDI, i will not try it on an engine like that.

Last edited by Motorholic : 27th February 2006 at 02:13.
Old 3rd March 2006, 23:44   #8
BHPian

Horspower oil additive

There was just one US mil approved oil additive marketed in India and it was packed in chenaai about 8 years ago called HORSPOWER.It was specifially made of powdered rare earth metals and meant for cars that have started loosing compression. It was too expensive for those days and was probably withdrawn from the market because there were no takers for this expensive concoction. It did wonders for my aging Padmini having crossed 100000km without an engine rebore. Bye and wear your seatbelts.
Old 4th March 2006, 02:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

I swear my Mobil 1, got it filled in my alto during its last service...wanted to check before I do the same to my OHC Vtec. My driver is a happy campaigner today...His observation: Smoother drive, less noise from engine, better low rev pickup and better top end speed. Dont quite know how much of this is true but definitely he's happy for whatever it has changed in that car which has done aggressive 40k kms in 3+yrs.

Additives like STP and Bardahl are good. Ive used both during my racing days...makes a difference but pretty visible difference on old engines.

Last edited by The Wolf : 4th March 2006 at 02:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks