Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 17:47   #1
BHPian

Doing Eyelids and in a soup

Preface:
I have a car (yeah alright!) and it’s a very beautiful one at that. When it’s squeaky clean and waxed, there’s not a sight worthy enough to peel my eyes off it. But demanding as I am in like all my relationships, there’s all always this itch to make things just that much better.
So here is a start to a completely new phase of love shower. Browsing through tons of DIYs on the forum, it was only time I got bitten by the DIY bug. FIBERGLASS!!! Oh how amazing!! Mask the imperfections, spruce-up, beef-up. Like a whole new world had opened, only that I sucked big time at such things.

Car: Chevrolet Optra 2004

Doing Eyelids and in a soup-idsc04425.jpg

Grouse/Excuse: The headlights are very bulbous and its time I spruce up the front a little.
So, I go to the market and get myselves a few things to help me decide on the new look of the car.

Anti-Climax: With all the due prep, I end up doing the most hideous my-two-bit. Then again, this is why we are on the forum, right? I go wrong somewhere and the gurus step in.

With no further adieu, I present to you the Simple and the Jazz!!

Doing Eyelids and in a soup-idsc04439.jpg Doing Eyelids and in a soup-idsc04438.jpg

Now you see what I mean when I say I am in soup. The designs haven't come out as I want them to be. Not spectacular that is.

Time I guess I tap into the vast talent of people with PS skills here at the forum. People, suggest a few designs that could make the front look chic and different.
Old 30th August 2011, 00:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Doing Eyelids and in a soup

How about this? I don't know if you intend on a full facelift or just the eyelids. The bottom one is the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Doing Eyelids and in a soup-optra-copy.jpg  

Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 00:49   #3
BHPian

@Taseem: Now that is exciting!! Where can I get that mesh grill? Can't do the entire bumper et all, but am sure that grill and eyelid combo would be a great start.

As an afterthought: how much would that body kit set me back by?
Old 30th August 2011, 03:36   #4
BHPian

I'm sure you can buy mesh grill from any hardware store and then cut it to fit. Since the Optra's front grill has 3 chrome surrounds, you will just have to cut out the horizontal slats and replace that with the mesh.

I'm not too familiar with where you can source it in Delhi, but I'm sure others will chime in soon. I would suggest you try sourcing a used front end and experiment on that instead of taking the axe to your car. That way you can take your time with the project and still have a usable car everyday. I'm sure you'll find a lot of used parts if you look around.

Also, get some vinyl and try out different eyelid designs to see what you like the best. They're cheap, easy to cut and most importantly wont leave a mark when you remove. Once you finalize on a design, look for alternative build options.

Body kits can be sourced for anywhere between 5-50k from what I've seen. The price usually has nothing to do with the quality though. I think Arush (autopsyche) is based out of Delhi. He makes some really good kits. I would advice you against skirts. Just edit the front bumper while retaining the stock clearance. That way you can peg it to be a facelifted model instead of a ricer

Last edited by Tassem : 30th August 2011 at 03:38.
Old 30th August 2011, 05:19   #5
BHPian

Am not so worried about marks on the headlights. I wrapped the headlights with plastic wrap, the kinds that cling to whatever you use it on. And the color is mostly water colors/oil pastels.

I've seen a few mesh but the one you used is pretty chic and I haven't seen it often. I guess I'll give the bumper facelift a miss and just tinker around with the mesh and the eyelids. That should do the trick I guess!!

And thanx a bunch again Tassem!!
Old 30th August 2011, 15:53   #6
BHPian

Anytime Prateek. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the mesh job.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
How about this? I don't know if you intend on a full facelift or just the eyelids. The bottom one is the original.
nice PS work! real neat. that pic is 100% believable...
Old 30th August 2011, 16:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
nice PS work! real neat. that pic is 100% believable...
Thanks mate PS is such a boon when you want to sit at home and decide what mods will look best before getting your hands dirty.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
That is one good looking PS mod, Tasseem.

The eye lids and the grill looks superb - try them Prateek.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 18:11   #10
BANNED

How will you change the curve of the bonnet to match the new lines? whats possible in PS may not be easy on the ground.

--Ragul
Old 30th August 2011, 18:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

How about this ?

Doing Eyelids and in a soup-idsc04439.jpg

Doing Eyelids and in a soup-idsc04425.jpg

You can use black tape instead of using fibreglass to do this.

The Optra IMO looks best with the single piece front grill that came as a facelift after the model of your car.

Last edited by smsrini : 30th August 2011 at 18:51.
Old 31st August 2011, 01:23   #12
BHPian

I love the 3 piece grill setup more than the single piece anyday!!

I quite liked the PS mod Tassem did, nonetheless I tried 2 new designs on the headlight. One a-la-Vento and the other kind of copied the cats-eye design on the Beemers.

@Tassem: Could you try the beemer sort of cats-eye effect on the headlights coz mine is still a very crude outcome.

I will post the pics once am home morrow. Till then, the la-Vento looks like this:

Doing Eyelids and in a soup-0405_chevrolet_optra_sedan1.jpg
Old 31st August 2011, 14:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think that if in budget you can go for a Twin projector setup i am sure it would be killer looking and performing.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I think that if in budget you can go for a Twin projector setup i am sure it would be killer looking and performing.
yup. but i doubt D2S projectors will be that cheap. plus youll need a good HID kit.. :P
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:01   #15
BHPian

I am so sorry peeps. Been away for a damn good reason. I was in Kolkata for what could be one of the high points of my life!!! ARG vs VEN.

Now back to the topic. The twin projector setup has been on the cards for sometime now but just keeps getting pushed lower on the wishlist because of several other demands on my limited spending power. It'll come though.

Infact, there was an advert in our own classifieds by these guys from Pune who do projector setup for 8 1/2 thousand or something (1 pair of bi-xenon projectors with angel eyes).

The setup I contemplated was, a pair of Bi-Xenons for the High beam and a pair of low beam projectors for the low beams. That should give awesome visibility while driving with either the low beams or the high beams and also will keep the cost a little low. The HID will be 4300K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks