Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2006, 13:20   #16
BHPian

A lot of people I know are also going in for leather steering wheel covers, but somehow, I seem to lose some of the feel if I get something between the wheel and my hands. My 800 (naturally) does not have power steering, so I have to grip the wheel reasonably tightly, which makes the basic wheel's feel more suitable than a leather cover. I used to drive an Amby earlier, no power steering, and leather steering cover, and that was not particularly comfortable. So, for regular everyday driving, a bare wheel is not a bad option.
Old 4th May 2009, 00:05   #17
BHPian

guys where can i get leather steering cover hand stitched in delhi? and any cost approximation?
Old 8th October 2009, 13:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Local accessory shop guy shown me a genuine Italian leather steering cover manufactured in 'Bangalore'. In line with the Stanley Pro Grip. Brand name is 'SOFTX Grippo'. Cost Rs.500/- for Black and Rs.450 for Brown. Look and feel is good. Anybody have the same on their car? if so how good is it?
Old 8th October 2009, 14:23   #19

hi,
i am a new to TBHP.
just wanted to let you know i went around searching for a leather cover in mysore and 4 out of 5 advised me not to go in for leather!! the main reason was
1. the leather gets smelly over time due to moisture and sweat and etc.
2. the moisture also makes the leather stiff and expand sometimes?!?

people using leather covers, please advise on these issues.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi does anyone have the exact address of Stanley Pro grip in Bangalore ? Kindly put it on display here. Thank you.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 5th April 2010 at 12:13.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:11   #21
BHPian

Re: Leather Steering Cover - Pros & Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
guys where can i get leather steering cover hand stitched in delhi? and any cost approximation?
Good news Delhi people..
Just spoke to Arush Today ( The Guy from Autopsyche) , he confirmed that they do deal in Real leather Hand stiched steering covers , will cost you between 1500 to 2500 depending on the vehicle and the work they do.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Local accessory shop guy shown me a genuine Italian leather steering cover manufactured in 'Bangalore'. In line with the Stanley Pro Grip. Brand name is 'SOFTX Grippo'. Cost Rs.500/- for Black and Rs.450 for Brown. Look and feel is good. Anybody have the same on their car? if so how good is it?
very reasonable I got mine along with gear boot and handbrake grip for 2500/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi2902 View Post
hi,
i am a new to TBHP.
just wanted to let you know i went around searching for a leather cover in mysore and 4 out of 5 advised me not to go in for leather!! the main reason was
1. the leather gets smelly over time due to moisture and sweat and etc.
2. the moisture also makes the leather stiff and expand sometimes?!?

people using leather covers, please advise on these issues.
No issues so far. once you drive a car with genuine leather steering cover any other bare steering wheel will feel awkward. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2040706
Old 29th January 2013, 23:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

my 4 year old progrip steering cover has started to fall apart. Any pointers to where i can get a replacement online or in chennai?
EDIT:
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/supe...out_products_6
Will this do ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th January 2013 at 23:54.
Old 30th January 2013, 00:27   #24
BHPian

What about the heat? My car does not have leather steering wheel and if it is parked in sun for few hours, the steering becomes very hot and difficult to hold for few minutes.

With leather on, will it not be even more hot?
Old 30th January 2013, 09:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

in my experience, the art leather seat covers were far more hotter than the steering wheel cover which was made of leather. In fact, havent even noticed the wheel's heat so far, and I've to put up with chennai heat.
Old 4th February 2013, 08:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
bought this, applied it myself. seems to be real leather, but the feel is not as soft as my old progrip one. It's also a bit small - needed to be stretched to fit the wheel - both length and widthwise, but hey it does its job and it's a fraction of the cost of my old one.
Old 4th February 2013, 16:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

On the i20 Asta, we've got a nice looking stock brown leather wrapped steering wheel. Apart from looking good it also blends in nicely with the rest of the chocolate brown interiors. But that's where it ends - and I just figured this one out today. Up until now, because of the cold weather, I didn't really have a problem of my palms slipping over it. However, today with slightly moist hands and the car lying in the sun for some time, it became troublesome to hold the steering tight. With a full turn there is an almost always slippage of the palms from the wheel and it's just annoying.

Solution: You either hold the wheel real tight or make sure your hands are nice and cold (hold them in front of the A/C blowers for a minute before you start driving).

So technically, leather wrapped steering wheels are both a Pro and a Con in my case.
Old 24th February 2013, 00:19   #28
BHPian

I am also thinking pf getting a Leather steering cover for my car. In your experiences over a long time what do you recommend?
Old 24th February 2013, 07:46   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
.. with slightly moist hands and the car lying in the sun for some time, it became troublesome to hold the steering tight.
My palms are not always dry, but in either case, have never experienced this issue - in summer or winter. Hope you hold the st wheel around, and not just with the palm pressing on the wheel (some rare drivers do ! )

The only Con I can think of is a bad leather. The cover from Ovion that I have in my Ikon has already gone bad (just 2 years now). Relatively, the one in my Sumo is looking like new.
Old 27th April 2016, 13:41   #30
BHPian

Hi guys,
Want to add leather handle grip to my Waggy. Any good shops who does it hand stitched in HSR Layout or nearby?

Thanks,
Ramki

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks