Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 14:58   #31
BHPian

Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

I have this chip installed in my Dzire for a good number of months.
I too was on the lookout for a tuning box and went through a lot of threads on Team-BHP. Most of the threads were related to Pete's box. But somehow I was not happy about the price they were offering the box for. Then I came to know about this one from another forum. Kind of liked the price and thought of giving it a try.

Ordered it online for 129 + 45(shipping) Euros. Got the box delivered within a week with a big surprise of additional import duty(or whatever it is called) Rs. 2200(approx). I installed it with the help of a mechanic as I was really confused about the configuration.

I installed it when my vehicle had clocked about 10-12k kms. And now it has clocked 32k kms. Its been a very good experience since then with out any issue. No black smoke ever.

As per the information on their site, the power is increased to 94 PS and the torque to 240 Nm. I am skeptical about these figures though. Would like to get a dyno test done (don't know where in Bangalore). BUT!!

It has definitely improved the low end torque and also the power. The sudden burst of torque can be felt at an RPM as low as 1.2k. Initially for the first one or two days I didn't quite feel any difference and I thought I might as well have wasted my money. I guess it takes a bit of time for the tuning box to actually show the difference.

And also I don't remove the chip even when I give the vehicle for servicing. I even tell the SA every time that I have a chip installed in my vehicle. I very well know that if there is any problem in my car, insurance will go for a toss. But I am bit lazy also still confused as to how to uninstall and install the box again.

Maybe the Pete's box is better but I am happy for what I have got for that much dough. My neighbor with a stock Dzire drove my car and said that he too could feel the difference.

@Figo_Mba wish you a very enjoyable race-chipped figo.
human_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69
If we get this kind of power from a Raceship why would anyone go for a Pete's box at all? Or am I missing something here?
All the boxes does the same thing, increase the fuel pressure. Pete's were having a monopoly till now. Now we have lot of choices for tuning boxes.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
All the boxes does the same thing, increase the fuel pressure. Pete's were having a monopoly till now. Now we have lot of choices for tuning boxes.
So people were paying 3 times the money just because there was no other option, interesting.

Another question though, Racechip is priced at 129 euros whereas Racechip Pro is priced at 229 euros with only a marginal increase in power, why so?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 89bhp Ford Figo

Congrats!

I saw Jerish trying to install a 'SPider' box and how tough it was on a Fiesta!
Old 30th September 2011, 16:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by human_wheels View Post
As per the information on their site, the power is increased to 94 PS and the torque to 240 Nm. I am skeptical about these figures though. Would like to get a dyno test done (don't know where in Bangalore). BUT!!
Get it done at Red Rooster Performance Do runs with the box disconnected and with the box.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 18:13   #36
BHPian

Thanks Sankar, The Koramangala outlet would be near for me.
I would definitely inquire about it. Hope they don't charge me too much for the dyno test.

A remap looks more tempting as it would probably take the maximum out of the 1.3 ddis within its permissible limit. That is something I plan for the future.
Old 1st October 2011, 03:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post

Installation

So the only way was to remove the air filter box and the air inlet pipes.
So i got the mechanic in the service center to remove these things. He had no experience opening it up and that was evident from the "is this ok ? Shall i do it ? " looks that he was giving me.
I got the air filter box out and reached the sensor, connected it and checked if everything was working fine. Then connected the Race chip. SUCCESS

I had written to the racechip guys earlier, and they had agreed to dispatch it - but I could not find the place where it had to go in my Figo.

can you upload some pictures? that will help a lot.

Last edited by vina : 1st October 2011 at 03:23.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So people were paying 3 times the money just because there was no other option, interesting.

Another question though, Racechip is priced at 129 euros whereas Racechip Pro is priced at 229 euros with only a marginal increase in power, why so?
I ordered a racechip for my swift recently and am waiting for a friend in Germany to get it here. I too tried to understand the difference in racechip and racechip pro. What I could find from their website is that while racechip calculates the signal to be sent to the ecu upto 10000 to 15000 times per second, racechip pro can calculate upto 1 lac times per second. Second is that racechip comes with a splash proof box and racechip pro is completely waterproof.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I had written to the racechip guys earlier, and they had agreed to dispatch it - but I could not find the place where it had to go in my Figo.

can you upload some pictures? that will help a lot.
The chip installation is quite nicely detailed in the manual that Race chip guys send. I am sorry I did not take the pics in the excitement.As for how to reach to it, in your Figo, these are the steps
  • we have to remove the plastic cover on the engine.
  • Then remove the air filter box(will be written Ford TDCi etc) (before that remove the Air filter inlet from air intake)
  • Below you will find the fuel rail with injectors going to the intake side of the engine. (That is how i identified the fuel rail)
  • At the end of the fuel rail there is a wire that is connected.
  • Remove that connector and connect it to the 2 way wiring that you get along with race chip.
  • Connect the other part of racechip wire(this side looks like the one we removed) to the fuel rail sensor out connector (from where we removed the first wire)
Rest of the steps are test steps and putting the race chip on.
These are detailed in the manual and once they are done refit the items that you have removed.

All the best

OT: I have covered 700kms during the weekend over various terrain like highways, hills&hairpins normal roads, busy towns etc.
Will write about that and the race chip experience in a while
figo_mba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
What I could find from their website is that while racechip calculates the signal to be sent to the ecu upto 10000 to 15000 times per second, racechip pro can calculate upto 1 lac times per second. Second is that racechip comes with a splash proof box and racechip pro is completely waterproof.
I have a race chip (not pro). Since it is not waterproof I have kept the Race chip pro above the battery and supported it with double sided tape and plastic fasteners(to avoid rattles and reduce shock to the chip)
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I have a race chip (not pro). Since it is not waterproof I have kept the Race chip pro above the battery and supported it with double sided tape and plastic fasteners(to avoid rattles and reduce shock to the chip)
I am thinking of covering the box in some plastic cover when I fix it in the car. Need to think about this as I have to be sure that there will be nothing damaged because of the heat in the engine compartment.
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:35   #42
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Awaiting for pictures. What is the diff between Racechip and Racechip pro
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I am thinking of covering the box in some plastic cover when I fix it in the car. Need to think about this as I have to be sure that there will be nothing damaged because of the heat in the engine compartment.
It is not advisable to expose the chip to extreme heat and that's the reason why i have kept the race chip away from the engine and on the battery. I wanted to keep it farther more away but I did not want splash water to reach the chip.
The casing of the race chip is metallic. Heat might not be a problem to an extent.

I would not advice putting it in a plastic cover because
there is heat being generated in the chip and there is no proper ventilation.
Water vapor present could cause problems.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:08   #44
BHPian

just two pics to show how the installation looks like. the engine shown is without the plastic sheath. and the race chip is kept on the battery box with plastic fasteners and double sided tape under it.
Attached Images

Last edited by figo_mba : 3rd October 2011 at 18:11.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just two pics to show how the installation looks like. the engine shown is without the plastic sheath. and the race chip is kept on the battery box with plastic fasteners and double sided tape under it.
why am i seeing only one side of the connections. could you please mark up the connection to the rails?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks