Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:30   #46
BHPian

Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Do not have the pics of the fuel rail pressure sensor.

I have done the best I can.
Attached Thumbnails
My 89 BHP Ford Figo!-forumrunner_20111003_180125.jpg  

figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:33   #47
BHPian

A courageous Move Figo_MBA. I am going to keenly following this thread as I did GTO's, Gemi's and other Figo owners threads before buying Figo. As of today I dont find Figo to be underpowered but who knows I may find it underpowered in days to come. I am finding difficult to follow self imposed rule of Not crossing 80/90 on highways as car is so stable and one can control speed quickly with it. In my recent trip to pune I was unknowingly doing 100 then I have to take my foot off the accelerator to come back in desired speed band.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion
A courageous Move Figo_MBA. I am going to keenly following this thread as I did GTO's, Gemi's and other Figo owners threads before buying Figo. As of today I dont find Figo to be underpowered but who knows I may find it underpowered in days to come. I am finding difficult to follow self imposed rule of Not crossing 80/90 on highways as car is so stable and one can control speed quickly with it. In my recent trip to pune I was unknowingly doing 100 then I have to take my foot off the accelerator to come back in desired speed band.
you are right white lion the figo feels planted at high speeds. the suspension and the rest of the things shout out that they can handle more speeds but the engine just lacks the top end performance needed for that. this is the reason I wanted more power and the reason for race chip.
after I put in this chip my speeds constantly goes over 120kmph on good roads.
and guess what there is not much effect on the fuel efficiency. I am double happy.

Last edited by figo_mba : 3rd October 2011 at 22:58.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
and guess what there is not much effect on the fuel efficiency. I am double happy.
dont take me otherwise, but do we need a race chip to do speeds of 120?

My car easily goes up to 120-140, but the problem comes AFTER that!!

I experience lack of power occasionally on 3rd gear-2nd gear. And sometimes a dead spot between 4th and 3rd, where other cars would do in higher gear, figo needs a down shift. But I like the way gear stick acts in my figo, so not a complaint for me!
Old 4th October 2011, 00:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post

I experience lack of power occasionally on 3rd gear-2nd gear. And sometimes a dead spot between 4th and 3rd, where other cars would do in higher gear, figo needs a down shift. But I like the way gear stick acts in my figo, so not a complaint for me!
Anil its the stress that you want to remove from the engine. thats the main Purpose of the Tuning of such sort, dont expect your car to turn in to a rocket or some thing.
Old 4th October 2011, 08:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Anil its the stress that you want to remove from the engine. thats the main Purpose of the Tuning of such sort, dont expect your car to turn in to a rocket or some thing.
Ah! Now this is what I wanted to discuss- which causes more stress on the engine? Excess fuel supplied or otherwise?

No, I am not taunting, I am genuinely interested to know. As a mechanical engineer, I would know that there would be certain design behind everything. Also, there is nothing great that this race chip does, it just fools the ECU to send more pressure to the rails and hence more fuel.

I am assuming this is banking on the assumption that the tolerance levels for the rails would be more than what it operates and injecting a little more fuel would not be a problem.

But the question is, why would not Ford do it? I mean if it is as simple as increasing the fuel supply with no compromise on anything else including FE, then so be it.

Yes, I do know of brands like Mercedes which sell two cars with the same engine with one having a remapped ECU that produces higher HP; but hey my Figo does not even have her body cladding sorted, so why bother about the Engine at all?
Old 4th October 2011, 13:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:

While on kerala highways, we do 90kmph normally and then you spot this particularly quick ALTO doing 90kmph right in front of you.
So either you have to plan your overtake or you have to downshift.
With the race chip, i just press on the throttle and the figo overtakes the ALTO just like that. Is that something wonderful ? I don't know about others but I kinda like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Thanks desideep. Something similar to what I wanted to say.
Car has not become a rocket post race chip but it is so effortless to drive now. I can do 30kmph in 4th gear on flat roads without any issues.
my fellow tbhpians please can you try this in the stock figo and let me
know the results.

I always feel that the car has become more driveable in the city as well.

So my point is not that the you can drive the car at 120kmph but the whole driving becomes increasingly effortless. Even i like changing gears but it is not the first things that should be on your mind when you are about to overtake. Isn't that the point why we bought a figo instead of an alto(which can also do 120kmph.

Last edited by figo_mba : 4th October 2011 at 13:23.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even i like changing gears but it is not the first things that should be on your mind when you are about to overtake. Isn't that the point why we bought a figo instead of an alto(which can also do 120kmph.
Well, while I am all for a race chip, I am just trying to understand hows and whys. And also wanted to be sure before plunging that it does not damage the engine.

Keep us posted on your experiences.
Old 4th October 2011, 14:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Well, while I am all for a race chip, I am just trying to understand hows and whys. And also wanted to be sure before plunging that it does not damage the engine.

Keep us posted on your experiences.
oh coming to that. I am not endorsing the racechip and certainly don't stand to gain anything here. Please Please do not think that I am pushing this chip.

I used it and felt that I should share my experience here, so that people can chose their tuning method/chip vendor with proper knowledge of the alternatives.

Just consider this
Pete's costs 5 times racechip and provides similar results.
Nobody knew race chip existed at all till about a year ago.

This is what I am seeking to avoid.

Now, minor deviation from the topic
My request to all the figo owners here is can any one check and post
1. if they can drive at 30kmph in 4th gear in their diesel figo
2. What is the rpm shown when the speed is 120kmph (test mode not the analog display) ?

This will help me with some comparisons. Today I am going to perform a 0-100kmph with GPS. will update you guys on the results.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 14:59   #55
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you are right white lion the figo feels planted at high speeds. the suspension and the rest of the things shout out that they can handle more speeds but the engine just lacks the top end performance needed for that. this is the reason I wanted more power and the reason for race chip.
If the fuel efficiency is not affected after installation of the race chip, then it is worth doing. Will this void ECU warranty.

Quote:

There remarkable improvement can be seen here - When you brake at 120, the car comes down to <80 and if you accelerate, it takes time to reach back to 120 or else you have to downshift. In a race chip car, the car will blaze to 120 in a relatively shorter period of time.

<<<my fellow tbhpians please can you try this in the stock figo and let me>>
Driving in 4th without engine lugging is only after 40kmph with single adult. No question of driving at 30kmph@4th. But you can drive to prove that you are capable of doing it.

Last edited by RGK : 4th October 2011 at 15:07.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:32   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
If the fuel efficiency is not affected after installation of the race chip, then it is worth doing. Will this void ECU warranty.
I do not think so. Even if there was a problem then I can remove the chip. DIsconnect the battery and cry out like a victim.

Quote:
There remarkable improvement can be seen here - When you brake at 120, the car comes down to <80 and if you accelerate, it takes time to reach back to 120 or else you have to downshift. In a race chip car, the car will blaze to 120 in a relatively shorter period of time.
True. The figo now accelerates faster and that too in the same gear. Also when you are travelling at 80 or 100kmph now to reach 120kmph you have just tap on the pedal (actually tap and hold ).

Quote:
<<<my fellow tbhpians please can you try this in the stock figo and let me>>
Driving in 4th without engine lugging is only after 40kmph with single adult. No question of driving at 30kmph@4th. But you can drive to prove that you are capable of doing it.
I did not try this rather I discovered it by chance that the figo is now doing 30kmph in 4th gear. There was no hiccups or the normal " I am going to stall so change gears" sort of drama. The car just kept going on.
Now I am referring to the analog speedometer so the speed must be lower than 30kmph.
I am not deliberately trying to do that. But when I shift the car to 4th gear somehow the speedo would have reached 30kmph only.
I can move from 30-70 in the 3rd gear and some turbo lag can also be detected when doing this meaning the rpm is going from 1000+ rpm to 1750+ rpm. This could mean that there is more torque available at the same rpm.

All these are what I think. you comments please.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It will void every warranty related to the engine, including ECU - the work around is to take the trouble and make sure you are never caught with it.

I'm not sure how the insurance works, but that may be void too.

Quote:
Ah! Now this is what I wanted to discuss- which causes more stress on the engine? Excess fuel supplied or otherwise?

No, I am not taunting, I am genuinely interested to know. As a mechanical engineer, I would know that there would be certain design behind everything. Also, there is nothing great that this race chip does, it just fools the ECU to send more pressure to the rails and hence more fuel.

I am assuming this is banking on the assumption that the tolerance levels for the rails would be more than what it operates and injecting a little more fuel would not be a problem.

But the question is, why would not Ford do it? I mean if it is as simple as increasing the fuel supply with no compromise on anything else including FE, then so be it.

All these diesel tuning chips work by increasing the rail pressure more than what the ECU wants it to be. That definitely is extra stress on the common-rail system including the fuel pump and the injectors.

from what I have read on the internet, fuel pumps are usually the main casualty of this mod.

Now keep in mind that unless you are the "always floor the pedal" kind the rail pressure even with this chip will usually be less than the peak rail pressure ECU can generate on its own - only when you demand extreme performance will the new system increase the rail pressure to the extremes.

I believe in general when you floor the pedal the way ECU increases the fuel supply to the engine is by increasing the injector opening time - rail pressure can not increase in an instant. Naturally for a given rail pressure there is a limit to how much fuel injectors can inject by themselves. If the rail pressure is higher to begin with then the range of modulation injectors can provide increases - leading to better pick-up .

For such usage I don't think engine will be overstressed.
vina is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 12:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
My request to all the figo owners here is can any one check and post
1. if they can drive at 30kmph in 4th gear in their diesel figo
I tried this today and the engine was fairly OK with it. The RPM was 1K at the speed around 35 KMPH on the analog speedo. Since its out of the turbo band, definitely the response was sluggish, but no heavy knocking of the engine experienced, just a light rumbling.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 13:21   #59
BHPian

My Red Figo with a Pete's tuning box.

The difference is that the car feels adequate. It is stable, handles well and has enough power to keep me moving along in traffic without having to row through the gears.

You'll get the same benefits with a Racechip at a lower cost. Pete's being a direct importer will have to pay all the duties, taxes, branding cost, dealer margins and crucially customer support.

The choice is yours. It is fun to have a Red Hot Figo
Attached Thumbnails
My 89 BHP Ford Figo!-redfigo-1.jpg  

basky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
My Red Figo with a Pete's tuning box.

The difference is that the car feels adequate. It is stable, handles well and has enough power to keep me moving along in traffic without having to row through the gears.

You'll get the same benefits with a Racechip at a lower cost. Pete's being a direct importer will have to pay all the duties, taxes, branding cost, dealer margins and crucially customer support.

The choice is yours. It is fun to have a Red Hot Figo
Well well well!

I was never really a fan of the red shade in the figo, but your car looks damn good. May be the lighting is making the shade appear a bit darker which I like. Menacing stance there with the wider tires. Can we have a closer look at the tires and alloys plus please provide a report on how the Pete's box is doing in your car. Would be interesting.

Good job anyways!

Most Viewed