Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 17:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Wow i love the polish on that red figo. excellent looking car you got there basky!!!

however, how is it that petes chip for the figo less costly than racechip? last i checked it was upwards of 34k for the figo.
Old 5th October 2011, 17:52   #62
BHPian

Is there any black smoke on hard accelaration ? can you ask your friends to observe while you floor it full throttle ?
Old 5th October 2011, 19:14   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I was never really a fan of the red shade in the figo, but your car looks damn good. May be the lighting is making the shade appear a bit darker which I like.
The car was detailed with SMARTWAX about a year ago and maintained at that level. The noticeable difference is the full depth of the colour achievable with good detailing. The shot was taken late evening with the light fading giving a warm tone to the picture. Take a look at this photo below taken a bit earlier in the evening showing a bit of the side profile.

Quote:
Menacing stance there with the wider tires. Can we have a closer look at the tires and alloys plus please provide a report on how the Pete's box is doing in your car. Would be interesting.
The wheels are Borbet LV4 Matt Anthracite finish. Tyres Yokohama S Drive 205-50-R15.

The Pete's Box used to be in my Fiesta which had the full works and was sold some time ago. It has done yeoman service and as said earlier, makes the car more driveable. Mileage: depends on your right foot. The temptation is to let it fly but laze around in the higher gears and you end up with good figures but not anything like the Fiesta's.

Figo handles better and feels more solid than the Fiesta - which felt a little tinny. Figo with a box handles like a poor man's sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Is there any black smoke on hard accelaration ? can you ask your friends to observe while you floor it full throttle ?
I think all diesels smoke to some extent on hard acceleration with and without the box. Sometimes it is an advantage - like when some guys who come behind and lean on their horn.
Attached Thumbnails
My 89 BHP Ford Figo!-red-figo-2.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2011 at 14:16. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
basky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 19:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
I think all diesels smoke to some extent on hard acceleration with and without the box. Sometimes it is an advantage - like when some guys who come behind and lean on their horn.
I kind of noticed that ..seen several diesels engined cars throwing out black clouds trying to gain some distance from my lowly 800 when I lean on my horn.
I was curious how much "extra" smoke the rechipped ones create on WOT ?
Old 5th October 2011, 19:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
..seen several diesels engined cars throwing out black clouds trying to gain some distance from my lowly 800 when I lean on my horn.
I was curious how much "extra" smoke the rechipped ones create on WOT ?
Normally, after taking off from a hooting experience, I do not remain around for a repeat session - Figo flies then

Extra smoke? I really dont know. Pollution meters have not complained as yet. Ha!
Old 5th October 2011, 20:23   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Normally, after taking off from a hooting experience, I do not remain around for a repeat session - Figo flies then

Extra smoke? I really dont know. Pollution meters have not complained as yet. Ha!
enjoy your chipped diesel rocket
(hope u dont run into a sleeper)

Last edited by chetanhanda : 5th October 2011 at 20:25.
Old 5th October 2011, 21:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
(hope u dont run into a sleeper)
Fortunately the only sleepers you find out here the occasional drunk chaps sleeping on the road side. Also, the rule of the thumb is that it is the under powered vehicles which create the most noise on the roads. The big guns wait patiently to get open roads and they are gone in seconds. The same with dogs - poms make the biggest racket but one woof from a German Shepherd is enough to settle all disputes.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 21:55   #68
BHPian

Trying not to go OT on a chipped Ford figo thread ..was just asking if these chipped ones make huge clouds of black smoke @ WOT >regular ones I see on the road ?

..to your point
Quote:
Also, the rule of the thumb is that it is the under powered vehicles which create the most noise on the roads.
Not necesary - people with bigger/modded engines too seem a bit "throttle happy" and impatient to get past the slow moving "obstructions".
Or someone just looking for trouble or just test his engine..who knows ?
Not sure if it can be called "rule of the thumb".

Quote:
The same with dogs - poms make the biggest racket but one woof from a German Shepherd is enough to settle all disputes.
Again , my point being - sleeper may instead bite the head of this "German Shepherd" as it only looks like a pom but its not a pom.
"Woof" wont do any good.

Anyways guys.. going back to your chipped diesel rockets.
"figo_mba" - interesting to see how conservative Ford has been with the stock "factory map"
Old 5th October 2011, 22:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK Figo is equipped with soot trap before ct con so it does not black smoke, I am yet to see a black smoking figo. And I dont think race chip should effect this.

Edit: used EGR valve for soot trap. changed it

Last edited by anilisanil : 5th October 2011 at 22:24.
Old 5th October 2011, 22:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Ah! Now this is what I wanted to discuss- which causes more stress on the engine? Excess fuel supplied or otherwise?

No, I am not taunting, I am genuinely interested to know. As a mechanical engineer, I would know that there would be certain design behind everything. Also, there is nothing great that this race chip does, it just fools the ECU to send more pressure to the rails and hence more fuel.

I am assuming this is banking on the assumption that the tolerance levels for the rails would be more than what it operates and injecting a little more fuel would not be a problem.

But the question is, why would not Ford do it? I mean if it is as simple as increasing the fuel supply with no compromise on anything else including FE, then so be it.

Yes, I do know of brands like Mercedes which sell two cars with the same engine with one having a remapped ECU that produces higher HP; but hey my Figo does not even have her body cladding sorted, so why bother about the Engine at all?
Anil Very well said, i am no Mechanical engineer, i may be wrong and as you have explained i am wrong. all that i know is the more the power lesser the effort you i hope you know what i mean, and i am sure that when the engines are designed they are not disigned to the limit, they can take a lot more stress on the same parts.
Old 5th October 2011, 22:51   #71
BHPian

@ prasobh.

hats off man. i will make sure to attend the next meet.

make sure you bring the figo & not the linea. Any chance that i pay you rs 8600/- & you give me the chip?
Old 5th October 2011, 23:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK Figo is equipped with soot trap before ct con so it does not black smoke
Oh ok..
I was asking becoz just today morning on my way I was behind this Ford fiesta .. it had a "Duratorq" TDCI kind of badge as far as I remember.
It reminded me of the squid's defense mechanism..
Everytime he floored it gave out this small black cloud.

Also was at the US Diesel nationals at Englishtown NJ last September just to see what these diesel engines are capable of..each one of the monsters were just billowing these black clouds, like a volcano, so whenever people say "performace diesels", it brings this picture of black clouds from the exhaust(chimneys)

Quote:
And I dont think race chip should effect this.
ok..
Old 6th October 2011, 10:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
My Red Figo with a Pete's tuning box.

The difference is that the car feels adequate. It is stable, handles well and has enough power to keep me moving along in traffic without having to row through the gears.

You'll get the same benefits with a Racechip at a lower cost. Pete's being a direct importer will have to pay all the duties, taxes, branding cost, dealer margins and crucially customer support.

The choice is yours. It is fun to have a Red Hot Figo
Superbly stunning looks. I am sure it rides well too. Please can you tell me if your Figo feels like a rocket or more driveable ?

Also, I can agree with the excise duty and other costs but this thing costs 5times the race chip. little too much for me. Just my thought. Please do not feel offended.

If you travel to Kochi do PM me. Would love to check out your ride.
Matter of fact even I own a Red figo. I think red is sporty and symbolises young blood. I always liked Red/black on cars.

Quote:
I tried this today and the engine was fairly OK with it. The RPM was 1K at the speed around 35 KMPH on the analog speedo. Since its out of the turbo band, definitely the response was sluggish, but no heavy knocking of the engine experienced, just a light rumbling.
I tried the same exercise in a stock figo and found that there is rumbling and felt like the anti stall in work.
Also I had to be a little careful with the clutch cos as you said it was below the turbo zone.
With race chip I felt more like I was doing 40kmph in 4th gear and the car accelerates from there to 80mkph without a gear change.
That is nice in traffic where you would be crawling behind something and when it ultimately gives you space to drive you will be presented with an open stretch. i am sure you would have experienced that on our roads

Also I checked out the smoke on my since I got the stock figo of my friends with me. Smoke are of the similar levels. There is no black smoke as of now. Later who knows. 1.3MJD of my Linea makes more smoke than the Racechip RC Figo and the stock figo under hard acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post

hats off man. i will make sure to attend the next meet.

make sure you bring the figo & not the linea. Any chance that i pay you rs 8600/- & you give me the chip?
definitely skyline.

Will catch up with during our next meet and will definitely bring the figo.

Last edited by figo_mba : 6th October 2011 at 10:27.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Superbly stunning looks. I am sure it rides well too. Please can you tell me if your Figo feels like a rocket or more driveable ?
Rocket? Certainly not. But it moves quite fast. It behaves very well and controlled.

Quote:
..but this thing costs 5 times the race chip. little too much for me. Just my thought. Please do not feel offended.
They introduced me to this concept and I was not even aware of Racechip then. Nothing for me to feel offended about. I have no financial interest in it save what I plunked out when it was bought.

Quote:
Matter of fact even I own a Red figo. I think red is sporty and symbolises young blood. I always liked Red/black on cars.
Just wait till my wife sees this - the Figo is essentially her car and she rarely lends it to me. All the youngsters in town drop their jaws when they see her shooting past in this bright red Figo.

Do PM if you are passing through Kollam too.
Old 6th October 2011, 15:18   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry boy that i missed this thread of yours earlier. Man!!! what a fantabulous job you have done. Good show!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks