Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 09:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Chevy Cruze - Front Camera, Rear Camera, and Stronger White Headlamps?

LED headlights require heat sinks and/or cooling fans. Let me know if you come across a good set of projector lamps.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:45   #17
BHPian

Its little confusing, are you talking about HIDs or LEDs? HIDs will need projector lenses and as far as I know HIDs don't generate much heat(less than fillament bulbs for sure), they are marked as 35watt in comparison to 55/60 or 90/100 watt in stock lamps.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:47   #18
BHPian

Anyone here have experience with retrofitting HIDs, especially on cars like the Cruze? What are the cons of using HIDs? Are they legal? There's an old thread on TBHP about issues of legality, but there seems to be no clear concensus.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Anyone here have experience with retrofitting HIDs, especially on cars like the Cruze? What are the cons of using HIDs? Are they legal? There's an old thread on TBHP about issues of legality, but there seems to be no clear concensus.
HIDs are illegel if you fit them in stock reflectors, then it will blind the cars comming from opposite direction, that is why you need to fit projectors with HID, it will give you a proper focus without scattering the lights, you will find all BMWs/Audi/Mercs/Captiva/Fortuner/Aria/Skoda/Kizashi/XUV500 fitted with projectors. They don't use HID in conventional reflectors.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I have been considering projector setup for my punto for sometime and found the below part to be a good match, I will put these on my car next month

Ballasts - Matsushita Gen IV
Bulbs - Phillips Ultinon 6K
CCFL Angel eyes
Projectors - Bi-xenon FX-R 1.1
Shrouds - E46-R(extended)

I am going to order online here Bi-xenon FX-R Stage IV Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

I know one person who does the fixing.

You can consider these products.

I am very much interested in this. Can you please elaborate as to what the technical requirements are? And can you give the details of the person who can Retrofit these projectors? I am talking about the cruze and would like a a setup like this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2397824
Except that i would like both the lamps to have projectors like the ones on the BMW 5 series. Is this possible? If so how much would it cost? I want white lights (5000K?)
Old 4th October 2011, 09:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Its little confusing, are you talking about HIDs or LEDs? HIDs will need projector lenses and as far as I know HIDs don't generate much heat(less than fillament bulbs for sure), they are marked as 35watt in comparison to 55/60 or 90/100 watt in stock lamps.
I was referring to HIDs. Haven't given thought to LEDs. I recently got HIDs installed on my old Bajaj motorcycle. The peak brightness is quite high (though not blinding for oncoming vehicles) but it takes a while for the intensity to increase. Heating does not seem to be a problem though I haven't driven as much at night to be able to gauge this. However, from what I've read, retrofitted HIDs tend to generate quite a bit of heat in cars. I suppose one will only get a good idea when one actually installs them.

In Kanpur, the roads are horrible, and there are many potholes which keep cropping up. The existing lights on the Cruze are very weak and one cannot drive comfortably even on the highway (GT Road) where there are lots of cyclists and pedestrians. So, from my standpoint, a replacement of the headlamps is absolutely necessary -- I only need to find out whether HID is a viable option and if so, which one to get. Then there's the issue of convincing the Chevrolet folks to install it as the car is only 1.5 months old.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
HIDs are illegel if you fit them in stock reflectors, then it will blind the cars comming from opposite direction, that is why you need to fit projectors with HID, it will give you a proper focus without scattering the lights, you will find all BMWs/Audi/Mercs/Captiva/Fortuner/Aria/Skoda/Kizashi/XUV500 fitted with projectors. They don't use HID in conventional reflectors.
As I understand, this means that instead of using an 'HID kit' to fit the bulb in the existing (stock) reflector, one has to replace the entire beam+reflector assembly (and of course get the ballast, etc). This is what I had in mind too. How much do you think that HID+projectors will cost, and where can I buy the entire setup in Inida? Getting it online from abroad is an attractive idea but I don't want the package to get stuck in customs and end up paying so much more to get it out.

But assuming I am indeed able to get all the parts and end up retrofitting it, how do I safeguard myself legally?
Old 4th October 2011, 10:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
As I understand, this means that instead of using an 'HID kit' to fit the bulb in the existing (stock) reflector, one has to replace the entire beam+reflector assembly (and of course get the ballast, etc). This is what I had in mind too. How much do you think that HID+projectors will cost, and where can I buy the entire setup in Inida? Getting it online from abroad is an attractive idea but I don't want the package to get stuck in customs and end up paying so much more to get it out.

But assuming I am indeed able to get all the parts and end up retrofitting it, how do I safeguard myself legally?
The guy who is going to do the fittings in my car quotted me arround 24k.
And from the legal side as long as the lights don't scatter and bind on comming vehicles, you are safe, else every highend car owners would have had issues with OE Hid setups with the cops. I see the move not to fit HIDs in most of the indian cars as a cost cutting way. Your stock setup will cost hardly 3-5k, while the hids will cost minumum 20k. and 15k is a huge difference on indian car buyers mind when we fight for a 5k discount with the dealer.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The guy who is going to do the fittings in my car quotted me arround 24k.
Sounds good asdon, please keep us posted. Is this cost (24k) for the two headlamps in front, or are you also getting the fog lamps or tail lights replaced?
Old 4th October 2011, 11:14   #25
BHPian

Found this...don't know how useful/helpful it will be: Chevy Cruze HID Kit Lighting Bulbs LED Xenon
Old 5th October 2011, 00:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Found this...don't know how useful/helpful it will be: Chevy Cruze HID Kit Lighting Bulbs LED Xenon
Well this is only conversion kit which includes Bulbs, wires, ballasts. But no mention of lenses. If you find anyone offering complete setup, please ask about the brands of ballasts, projector lenses, shrouds(if in the offer), bulbs and kelvin mark, usually 4300k to 6000k HIDs are streat legal, beyond 6000k it goes the blue way.
Old 5th October 2011, 12:31   #27
BHPian

Cruze "Angel Eye" Dual Xenon HID + Halogen Headlights
Cruze "Angel Eye" Dual Xenon HID + Halogen Headlights [EP-L-00012] - $659.99*USD : Cruze Imports!, Premiere Source for Korean/Chinese Cruze Auto Imports

Cruze "Angel Eye" Dual Xenon HID + Halogen Headlights + LED Teardrops
Cruze "Angel Eye" Dual Xenon HID + Halogen Headlights + LED Teardrops [EP-L-00010] - $659.99*USD : Cruze Imports!, Premiere Source for Korean/Chinese Cruze Auto Imports
Old 5th December 2011, 16:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Manual Transmission.
Headlamps... I have not decided which one yet. What is your suggestion?
Could we PLEASE see a few pictures of the installation with some info on how you got it done?

A lot of cars today come without dead pedals and I'm pretty sure your inputs on getting this done would be massively appreciated.
Old 5th December 2011, 16:33   #29
BHPian

I hope you are still on the lookout for the front camera.

I recall seeing such a setup on RangeRovers. And since this a factory kit for a Rangie, there sure would be cheap chinese copies. Troll the UK spares market for the kit and then order it from China
Old 7th December 2011, 11:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I hope you are still on the lookout for the front camera.

I recall seeing such a setup on RangeRovers. And since this a factory kit for a Rangie, there sure would be cheap chinese copies. Troll the UK spares market for the kit and then order it from China
I am still looking for it, but I have only come across things like a front parking assist accessory from Xenos. I haven't purchased it yet. Thanks for the info about the Range Rover.

The problem with cheap copies (or even expensive ones) is that there is no guarantee they'll work. The Chevrolet workshop is uncomfortable installing accessories that are not certified by GM. Finally, dealing with stuff getting stuck at customs for individuals like me is a nightmare.

So, I'm hoping I'll find something that is locally available in India, and which isn't a cheap substitute. I'll update this thread if I come across anything new, and I request you and the OPs to do the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks