Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 16:03   #46
BHPian

Re: Thar to THOR

Awesome paint Job, I hate that colour though.

Nice seats, but I would prefer them inside some comfy car. Atleast provide seat belts to those poor sould who would be occupying those.

Can some one move it to the "weird and wacky" mod thread?

End of day, its the owner's vehicle and he has all the rights to do anything to it . Appreciate the energy he spent on the vehicle.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
the design was an epiphany of sorts.
TORQUED
I quite like the colour, though I do have reservations aout some points:
1. If the front is a hard top, why didn't you convert the entire jeep to a hard top- would have been useful in the RJ14 areas.
2. Are you sure of the safety of the seats per se. For one, in Gurgaon, by the time you would come back from a nice evening dinner, someone would have jacked off the seats.
3. Don't the extra wide fender flares trouble while taking it offroad?

That said, I don't subscribe to the other people calling this hideous and similar stuff. Criticism may be welcome, but only if it is constructive. Calling something the worst thing you have seen just won't improve anything. The person has put his time, money and patience, and is a lot better off than a lot of us who crib about not having a jeep because of umpteen reasons.
Kudos to you sir for doing what You wanted to do.

Cheers
Tapish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 17:25   #48
BHPian

I like it.paint finish looks pretty good
The over sized wheel arcs look a bit odd and i think you should convert the rear portion into a hardtop
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 19:38   #49
BHPian

Again, thanks to all you guys for the comments,

@GTO - Well said about the hits and misses...but you for one have a lot of people looking at you, as a mod and as a respected part of this forum, you still need to be careful of what your write and put out there..you are actually encouraging the bashing not criticism (there is a difference)...which I im sorry to say I dont approve of as a part of the forum.

@ Everyone -

1. The car is never going off road, so the seating arrangements dont matter.

2. If i have front facing seats, i can seat only 2 at the back..thats a total of 4 people, my car right now seats 6 very comfortably, thats more than any other car out there except the ones that are 16L plus. (can anyone support the claim as to why the buckets at the back are any less safer than bench seats??)

3. As far as saving the design goes, dont really need to change anything on it, it solves the purpose it was designed for, some might not like it but the one who owns/ drives it, loves it. The car is built for the owner not for the public.

5. Again, I dont mind all the bashing or the criticism, im actually really amused and would not be much of a designer if I cannot take criticism..

Lastly, Try and understand the design of the car, its a jagged and jarred looking thing..inspired by fiction comics.. its not ment to be sporty and to go off-roady design, its something "appart" of the ordinary and we dare to do it the way our creativity allows without being subjected to per-conceived notions or ideas..I dont believe in categorizing Design and Creativity, both of them have no bounds or limitations.......ever wondered how crossovers were born?

cheers
TORQUED is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 21:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED
@ Everyone -
Lastly, Try and understand the design of the car, its a jagged and jarred looking thing..inspired by fiction comics.. its not ment to be sporty and to go off-roady design, its something "appart" of the ordinary and we dare to do it the way our creativity allows without being subjected to per-conceived notions or ideas..I dont believe in categorizing Design and Creativity, both of them have no bounds or limitations.......ever wondered how crossovers were born
Going by what you have written so Far, I'm inclined to infer two things. One, that you do not own this Thar and the work was probably commissioned by someone else, who gave you a set of requirements to work towards. And two, that you own / work with Torque Studios. I've known of you guys for quite some time through a friend of mine, Sagar (Metalartzian).

Now, to put most comments / bashing here, in context, I believe the design is perhaps the result of requirements that were handed to you by the owner of the Thar. So if his whims were W&W, you are not entirely to blame. We all can understand the commercial considerations that can come into play for any such project. However, the consistent feedback here is that the design could have been better. Hope you take that feedback in the right spirit, in spite of the choice of words, some of us may have used.
Now comes the part where I believe most of the forum would give you full marks. That is, the quality of execution. The attention to detail is good and the finish delivered is above par for the course, considering the pathetic F&F of the base platform. You guys have done a very good job there.

So, when can I bring over my Gurkha to you guys? :-)) I need some interior jobs done, though I would not have any W&W requirements.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Going by what you have written so Far, I'm inclined to infer two things. One, that you do not own this Thar and the work was probably commissioned by someone else, who gave you a set of requirements to work towards. And two, that you own / work with Torque Studios. I've known of you guys for quite some time through a friend of mine, Sagar (Metalartzian).

Now, to put most comments / bashing here, in context, I believe the design is perhaps the result of requirements that were handed to you by the owner of the Thar. So if his whims were W&W, you are not entirely to blame. We all can understand the commercial considerations that can come into play for any such project. However, the consistent feedback here is that the design could have been better. Hope you take that feedback in the right spirit, in spite of the choice of words, some of us may have used.
Now comes the part where I believe most of the forum would give you full marks. That is, the quality of execution. The attention to detail is good and the finish delivered is above par for the course, considering the pathetic F&F of the base platform. You guys have done a very good job there.

So, when can I bring over my Gurkha to you guys? :-)) I need some interior jobs done, though I would not have any W&W requirements.
Well there are always requirements and boundaries..and then you need to fill design into them...the practical aspects e.g. the need for improvement of the creature comforts, a hard and soft top combination. were all requirements.., then the widening of the car to improve leg space, the colour, the bumpers were design decisions keeping the requirements in mind....its always a combination of both worlds...as for your Gurkha ( i cant comment here), Against the rules i suppose, please ecotact us outside the forum.

Thanks for the kind words, ill all being taken positively.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:28   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@GTO - Well said about the hits and misses...but you for one have a lot of people looking at you, as a mod and as a respected part of this forum, you still need to be careful of what your write and put out there..you are actually encouraging the bashing not criticism (there is a difference)...which I im sorry to say I dont approve of as a part of the forum.
No, he doesn't have to be. Anybody and everybody is entitled to voice out their point of views here. Last line of his reply is in bold (as I made it).
GTO, like anybody else is free to say what he feels as his opinion/comments. Let's get this very clear here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry to say, but as you might be looking for feedback on this thread, the Thar looks hideous! The front bumper will not last 15 minutes on a decent OTR. The rear bucket seats are awfully out of place, and the w-i-d-e fenders protrude outside of the tyres...giving it a "train-like" look. I'd pick a stock Thar with nice wheels & rubber 10 times out of 10 over this contraption.

No offense meant. Just voicing my opinion.
You may agree here with few comments or you may not. But the point is this: You've posted your work and expecting people to give their comments.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 22:31   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. If i have front facing seats, i can seat only 2 at the back..thats a total of 4 people, my car right now seats 6 very comfortably, thats more than any other car out there except the ones that are 16L plus. (can anyone support the claim as to why the buckets at the back are any less safer than bench seats??)
The bench seats are really bad.
The bucket seats arranged the way you have done are no better.
Plus the passengers have no roll cage* to hold on to as well.

So unless there is a 5 point harness in those seats. In the event of a high speed sudden stop, the passengers are gonna fly like a rocket.
Actually I am not sure if a 5 point harness will help. The passengers are still exposed to severe whiplash injuries.

You can try this out yourself.
Place a sack of sand on any of those seats.
Take the vehicle to a speed over 60.
Brake HARD.

Do not try this with humans or animals, they WILL get hurt.

*: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html for pictures of the roll cage in the stock thar.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:40   #54
BHPian

torqued- when you put a picture in a public forum and ask for opinion this is what you get.if it is good you would get compliments, if its bad you get criticised,there have been modded vehicles in here which has been really appreciated too. for eg:gypsy overhauled by rmonie[please check out the thread].you would get an idea what a good mod job is.but if you think your work is great and dont want to be criticised its better not show it to the public and ask for opinions.
desigNation is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 09:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

inspired by fiction comics..

now i get it!

i can see that inspiration clearly worked in this case.

fixing four bucket seats, that too side facing, in the rear of an open jeep without looking into safety measures is certainly not creativity if you are in motorsport business!

fixing an over size front bumper is creativity?
fixing LEDs above the front windshield is creativity?
winch for display purpose only is creativity?
using a 4x4 vehicle for what you have done, is that creativity?

ah...its your money, you vehicle, your efforts....thats creativity!

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2011 at 11:01. Reason: Sorry, but your last line was over the top. Please refrain from personal comments
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 09:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

now i get it!

fixing four bucket seats, that too side facing, in the rear of an open jeep without looking into safety measures is certainly not creativity if you are in motorsport business!

Winch for display ONLY is sure creative, because most people who put winches on their Jeeps actually use them !! That is thinking out of the box. C'mon you need to give the guy some credit for THAT one atleast.

Cheers

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2011 at 11:01. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 12:57   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess torqued this has been a bit overdone from the masses view.

The Rear Bucket Seats aren't safe not look really great. The DRL are a bit overdone again. 2 instead of 6 would have been fine.

The Tyre fenders too are a bit too wide - this till can be corrected.

That said if this is what you desired for yourself, you have got what you wished and it is prefectly fine. Irrespective it would not really be safe to travel in the last 4 bucket seats, so you do really need to do something about it.

Actually you have spent a lot of money but a bit more is required to cut back on the changes to improve safety and get back a bit of the original charm.

One of the first +ve changes could be reducing the 4 rear bucket seats to 2 forward facing, followed by some cuts to the fender width, a cover and roll cage for the rear is what should follow.

And i suggest the above inspite of loss of seating capacity and your clarifications, as somehow it would look better that way and still be over the top.

Last edited by ACM : 20th October 2011 at 13:05.
Old 20th October 2011, 13:25   #58
BHPian

I had planned a big reply, they were mostly in reply to your points statements.

As a designer of this vehicle I have got nothing against you, even if it is a Fake Warn winch added as accessory!

The bucket seats at rear are not safe the manner in they are placed. Hope the seat belts are working over there.

My only suggestion is/can be "People working on cars should educate their customers why or what not should be done on vehicles so as to not kill the spirit of the vehicle/car."

4" ground clearance on Jeep - kind of question should have not have come. Well what I feel most customers come and ask for ideas from the PROs and pros should not sell them bad ideas just to get the looks and name on someone else expense.

I can end on only this - Customer is king.
rhandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 21:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

i must say wonderful paint job. But went overboard with the design.

The rear bucket is out of place. You people are the only one in this whole wide planet who have thought of putting bucket seat longitudinally.

The bumper is ugly and looks out of place. One southy bhpian makes wonderful bumpers for Thar. Its a 4x4 bumper should be minimalistic and practical for obvious reason. if you have to mount a winch where would you?

Nice effort but 99% of people will say the same.
Old 20th October 2011, 22:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

now i get it!

Actually you dont get it at all...nor are you ready to listen, so this is the last time I explain it to you.

What safety measures are you speaking about...??? for the 10th time there are bars at the back..look at the pic with the soft top...ever realized that the bars are removable?? and YES, making a 4x4 vehicle into a lounge/ LEDs(DRLS btw) is creative...putting the big fog lamps and using the same mundane stuff or setting on a car is not.

Iv told you this time and again...its not for MOTORSPORTS..
its for Customization...there is a difference, that car was not built for "SPORTS"...it was built to lounge around in.

If some one wnats to lounge in a 4x4 why is that such a problem??

If you have something to say, support it with knowledge and evidence, I can prove everything I did is safe and works for what it was built for..please support for mocks.

I am always listening and encourage a dialogue.

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2011 at 11:02. Reason: Quoted post has been edited

Most Viewed