Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 22:10   #61
BHPian

Re: Thar to THOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I guess torqued this has been a bit overdone from the masses view.

The Rear Bucket Seats aren't safe not look really great. The DRL are a bit overdone again. 2 instead of 6 would have been fine.

The Tyre fenders too are a bit too wide - this till can be corrected.

That said if this is what you desired for yourself, you have got what you wished and it is prefectly fine. Irrespective it would not really be safe to travel in the last 4 bucket seats, so you do really need to do something about it.

Actually you have spent a lot of money but a bit more is required to cut back on the changes to improve safety and get back a bit of the original charm.

One of the first +ve changes could be reducing the 4 rear bucket seats to 2 forward facing, followed by some cuts to the fender width, a cover and roll cage for the rear is what should follow.

And i suggest the above inspite of loss of seating capacity and your clarifications, as somehow it would look better that way and still be over the top.
Yes, I agree the car is over the top, and its not over the top because it is trying to be simple, its over the top because it was built to be over the top, The buckets are as safe as benches would be (please explain why they are any less safer?)

Being over the top is a trait in the car not a mistake.
Old 20th October 2011, 22:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hey Superb paint job! Lovely finish and fantastic colour combo. What colour is this? Can you tell more about the colour, whether you got the combination mixed or bought it from OEM? What about the headlamps? the reflector are aftermarket or OEM? So its just all custom mods and no technical mods?
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 22:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2011 at 11:03.
Parm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th October 2011, 22:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63

Winch for display ONLY is sure creative, because most people who put winches on their Jeeps actually use them !!

Cheers
Absolutely right Rakesh Sir. As a case in point, just in the last NIOC OTR on the last Sunday, near Gurgaon, a white Thar with a great winch proved to be the saviour for the day. He was called in multiple times to winch out various vehicles that got stuck. A winch is not a display item, it has a very serious use.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 22:44   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Hey Superb paint job! Lovely finish and fantastic colour combo. What colour is this? Can you tell more about the colour, whether you got the combination mixed or bought it from OEM? What about the headlamps? the reflector are aftermarket or OEM? So its just all custom mods and no technical mods?

Hey Alpha, thanks a lot, the paint work is all custom and is done aftermerket and no the headlamps are not OEM either, they are aftermarket as well.

Cheers
Old 20th October 2011, 22:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
of all the photos you have posted, i dont see any photo with a roll bar!

please post that photo also to enable us to understand your concept!
Attaching side view, notice the soft top is help up by BARS! and not hanging in the air..
Attached Thumbnails
Thar to THOR-dsc02375.jpg  

Old 20th October 2011, 23:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The bench seats are really bad.
The bucket seats arranged the way you have done are no better.
Plus the passengers have no roll cage* to hold on to as well.

So unless there is a 5 point harness in those seats. In the event of a high speed sudden stop, the passengers are gonna fly like a rocket.
Actually I am not sure if a 5 point harness will help. The passengers are still exposed to severe whiplash injuries.

You can try this out yourself.
Place a sack of sand on any of those seats.
Take the vehicle to a speed over 60.
Brake HARD.

Do not try this with humans or animals, they WILL get hurt.

*: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html for pictures of the roll cage in the stock thar.
Finally a sensible comment..

buckets are no better, i can understand but they are not worse, they do provide more comfort, a 5 point harness is available and there are also roll bars with the car on which the soft top rests, refer to second last image.

The images posted are just on option to keep the car like this, I have a semi covered soft top option and full soft top option as well..in sort you can have to completely open, semi covered or fully covered.

Please try not to get judgmental about the specifics on safety, its more about creativity and open thinking or rather thinking out of the box in this case.
Its a new direction, just because its not norm does not mean it does not work.
Old 20th October 2011, 23:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
Attaching side view, notice the soft top is help up by BARS! and not hanging in the air..
Thank you for the photo. this photo was NOT posted along with other photos posted earlier.

ofcourse the soft top will be supported by the roll bars or whatever bars you install.

since you mentioned the ROLL bars are removable, so how strong are they in case the thing rolls over?

i dont see any thing on the B pillar to support the ROLL bar, how is the ROLL bar attached to the back side of the cabin? (Photo 1)

would the removable roll bar protect the rear seat occupants?
Attached Thumbnails
Thar to THOR-img2011072500045.jpg  

Thar to THOR-dsc02375.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 20th October 2011 at 23:07.
Old 20th October 2011, 23:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
would the removable roll bar protect the rear seat occupants?
If structure is strong/strengthened it will, may be a closer picture of the mounting area will help us to understand.

I remember my brother doing similar project sometime in early ninties.

That softtop looks awful!

Last edited by Latheesh : 20th October 2011 at 23:33.
Old 20th October 2011, 23:28   #70
BHPian

Quote:
its more about creativity and open thinking or rather thinking out of the box in this case.
You can be"creative" in your own way, but don't expect all others to appreciate it.'Open thinking" do not mean adding an out of proportion bumper and seats upon a brand new vehicle. Please see some of the 4X4 restoration threads here to see what is dedication, creativity and innovation.
Old 21st October 2011, 09:45   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Finally a sensible comment..

Please try not to get judgmental about the specifics on safety, its more about creativity and open thinking or rather thinking out of the box in this case.
Its a new direction, just because its not norm does not mean it does not work.
Please do not make loose statements like these on an automotive forum when you are in the business of automotive customisation and design.

Satefy is always first - If not for your clients, it is a big deal for people who use the same roads as the people who get unsafe mod jobs from you. do not try and justify this any further and make it any worse than you've already made it for yourself!

The last thing anyone wants is a one of the passengers to go flying out of this contraption of yours and land on/under someone elses vehicle or the pavement.

I have personally seen people being flung out of the back seats of a gypsy and it isn't a pretty sight!! How well are those external racing buckets bolted / welded on to the floor??

The roll BAR you mention, if not built and secured to the chassis will crumble like matchsticks (keeping laws of physics in mind)!!

Doesn't look like you intend to put people's feedback / comments / suggestions to good use and make changes which would improve your customers safety.

God bless the owner of this vehicle..

As the Indian saying goes - "Soone ki sui hogi toh aankh tooch loge kya???"

Last edited by R32_GTR : 21st October 2011 at 09:49.
R32_GTR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 10:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

NONE of the initial set of pictures show any kind of Roll Bar or any (visible) provision for the same. The picture you have posted now with the soft top, is a first. A soft top can be held up with a metal tubular frame as well, right ? After the seats being installed I do not see where the Roll Cage would be anchored.
Old 21st October 2011, 11:19   #73
BHPian

Hey there Torqued,
I have a few questions for you. They are not asked in jest,so I hope you answer them:

1. Why was the Thar chosen for this project. Did any one out of all the people involved never think of a better alternative?
2. I understand that you had set out to make a " Lounge on Wheels". As a lover of this concept, full marks to you for trying it out . Did it ever occur to you that it could be a hazard for other people on the road? A "Lounge on Wheels", if it is to be used for that purpose when in motion should be a hard top at least for the safety of others on the road. Giving the client an option to go naked, clearly does make it look like you don't care.
3. As many others have noted, the design lacks clarity of purpose. Was it supposed to be a mish mash of various design themes?

P.S. You are the first person that I have read about or met who chose bucket seats for the purpose of lounging . That too in possibly the most hardcore 4x4 available of the shelf in our country. You are a brave designer Sir. I'll give you that.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

I ll congratulate you for doing what you did. I DO NOT like it but its your ride , money , effort and if it works for you then good on you. The color scheme reminds me of the new kawasaki zx 14r. The deep metallic green looks splendid. Most of the people have already mentioned what looks out off place and I somewhat feel the same about the front bumper and the rear seats. On a related note , DC has been butchering cars for decades now so compared to what he does atleast this still looks like a jeep.
In my opinion , I would get a custom paintjob on a new jeep with some really good set of rubber and alloys. Maybe some high power Fog lamps and a roll bar. Beyond this will entirely depend on what you would want from the car , Offroading / road / a bit of both and soo on.
@ ashley nair - How is this any less in terms of dedication , creativity and innovation compared to other "restoration" jobs you talk about ? Just because you dont approve of it does not mean the project lacked effort / sweat and creativity from the maker.

Last edited by bigron : 21st October 2011 at 12:21.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:36   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear TORQUED - .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks