1. Improve creature comforts
2. Fit moe people at the back
3. Increase space
4. Give the ride a quirky botch look
5. Defy the norm of average joe customizations already being done
6. Bring in something new as a semi hard top design
7. City use, Hangout car.

Design Solutions

Inspiration - Comic Universe (pulp fiction, DC comics et all)

1. Bucket Seats - improve seating comfort
2. Wide body - to improve inside packaging + uniqueness (wide body kits on suvs do happen, might be the first one here)
3. Leather dashboard - Improve touch and overall feel
4. Colour - Uniqueness
5. DRLs - Defy the big round fog light norm
6. Winch - Design detail (like everyone uses spoilers on cars that dotn do more than 80kmph, we thought of using a winch here)
7. 4 seats at back to make it a hangout car, you cant really hang out in a semi hard top jeep with just 2 seats at the back (its uncomfortable), now we can seat 6 people with comfort of a bigger car.

All in all, yes rear safety is a little compromised (people wont really fly out) but guys, start looking at the big picture, its easy to take one point and keep exaggerating it.....try and understand the whole thing as a product, nothing is perfect, not even the range rover is a perfect car, if i want to criticize it for the fun of it i can take out a lot of flaws. Looks as I said before vary from one individual to another.
TORQUED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:34   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thar to THOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
Customer Requirements :

Design Solutions

6. Winch - Design detail (like everyone uses spoilers on cars that dotn do more than 80kmph, we thought of using a winch here)
I understand that you are not trying to say that you are using the winch as a spoiler (before someone else catches you for it ) correct me if im wrong, you're saying that the winch is an add-on to make it look more Jeepish, just like a spoiler is used in a car to make it look more sporty. Right? Well i fit is that, it makes sense

Quote:
All in all, yes rear safety is a little compromised
Thanks for realizing this.

Quote:
(people wont really fly out) but guys, start looking at the big picture, its easy to take one point and keep exaggerating it.....try and understand the whole thing as a product, nothing is perfect, not even the range rover is a perfect car, if i want to criticize it for the fun of it i can take out a lot of flaws. Looks as I said before vary from one individual to another.

True, i said it before also to each his own. One cant thrust anyone's opinions down another's throat but one must re-think about the design if almost everyone has a diverse opinion from yours. It would help in thinking when planning the next project...... And i do think you would be able to name a single flaw in the Range Rover and if the majority of the people criticized a certain aspect, RR would go back to the drawing board. Anyways make sure at least the guys sitting behind have a three point harness, that is if they dont fall out with while seated.
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:30   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Keeping aside the aesthetics ( Paint color, the lights ) this is an EXTREMELY UNSAFE AUTOMOBILE . The rear bucket seats could literally kill somebody. Braking at 40-50km/hr even in city driving is a regular / daily affair, 4 Life's at risk.

Moreover with the chopping & extending of the wheel arches / fenders the aero-dynamics would have definitely taken a adverse hit.

This is not a road-worthy Auto-mobile.
Torqued, as k_d mentioned, this is an extremely unsafe vehicle even for city driving. It not only endagers the people on the back seats, but also endangers everyone else on the road.

I'm not sure how much was spent on the bucket seats, but don't you think it's a huge waste of money? While on the move, the forces push the occupants sideways making them lean to the left and will never let them rest their upper bodies on the seat trunk. Didn't you think about it when you were designing the seats layout?

I would seriously recommend to keep only 2 seats in the back and make them front facing. And even if your customer says that he wouldn't get the lounge feel with 2 seats, explain and convince him that the present setup is extremely dangerous for the occupants.

This Thar, at its present form, is definitely not a road-worthy automobile.
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:39   #95
BHPian

Quote:
How is this any less in terms of dedication ,effort/sweat, creatid innovation compared to other "restoration" jobs you talk about ? Just because you dont approve of it does not mean the project lacked effort / sweat and creativity from the maker.
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:04   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All in all, yes rear safety is a little compromised (people wont really fly outplease

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO.

This is a passenger being ejected from inside a vehicle.
Your passengers are sitting without a protective shell. They will FLY OUT in the event of a sudden stop at any speed over 60 kmph.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:58   #97
Senior - BHPian

Is he (owner) happy?? Has he taken the delivery?

Quote:
Customer Requirements :

1. Improve creature comforts
2. Fit moe people at the back
3. Increase space
4. Give the ride a quirky botch look
5. Defy the norm of average joe customizations already being done
6. Bring in something new as a semi hard top design
7. City use, Hangout car.

Design Solutions

1. Bucket Seats - improve seating comfort
2. Wide body - to improve inside packaging + uniqueness (wide body kits on suvs do happen, might be the first one here)
3. Leather dashboard - Improve touch and overall feel
4. Colour - Uniqueness
5. DRLs - Defy the big round fog light norm
7. 4 seats at back to make it a hangout car, you cant really hang out in a semi hard top jeep with just 2 seats at the back (its uncomfortable), now we can seat 6 people with comfort of a bigger car.

All in all, yes rear safety is a little compromised (people wont really fly out) but guys, start looking at the big picture, its easy to take one point and keep exaggerating it.....try and understand the whole thing as a product, nothing is perfect, not even the range rover is a perfect car, if i want to criticize it for the fun of it i can take out a lot of flaws. Looks as I said before vary from one individual to another.
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:58   #98
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, I am wondering, whether stock thar comes with front facing rear seats and seat belts? If not, then how is this contraption any more unsafe than the regular thar, It may look hideous(actually I don't even find the stock thar a looker either), but its not more or less unsafe than the out of factory thar.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:28   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Dhabhar sir, Did some one make you speechless for the 1st time?
Dear Shoeb - your quote above, no, I am not speechless at all. That day will never come. I am reading a book written by Jay Elliot, former Senior Vice President of Apple Computers. The name of the book is "THE STEVE JOBS WAY - i leadership for the new generation". You will appreciate Steve's holistic product development way which screams - "SIMPLICITY WILL GIVE SUCCESS". The whole MM540 platform was conceived to be so very SIMPLE. Now look what has been done to my beloved baby! The shocked face conveyed my thoughts in totality. I have always been saying - "don't pay good money to spoil your car", but if somebody is hell bent on doing it (our country is known for it), there is nothing I can do.

That said, in DKG's Thar thread, I have completely described what must be done to the Thar CRDe once it is fitted with number plates and out of the showroom. I am surprised that nobody has done it. There is so much that can be done, not only cosmetically but also mechanically. I am going to the extent of mentioning here that - The real Thar CRDe has not even hit the Indian roads yet!

Think!

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar
Old 23rd October 2011, 16:54   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hmm, I am wondering, whether stock thar comes with front facing rear seats and seat belts? If not, then how is this contraption any more unsafe than the regular thar, It may look hideous(actually I don't even find the stock thar a looker either), but its not more or less unsafe than the out of factory thar.
Refreshing to read a post of reason in this thread of sermonizing.

Those bucket seats with even a lap belt would any day be better than the stock setup. Didnt hear so much talk of safety in the Official Thar thread.

Keep Torquing, Torqued. I like the boldness in your effort. I think better pictures with a stock Thar/5x0 next to it would bring out some of the highlights of your design. The pics posted dont do justice at all.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 19:27   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shoeb - your quote above, no, I am not speechless at all. That day will never come. I am reading a book written by Jay Elliot, former Senior Vice President of Apple Computers. The name of the book is "THE STEVE JOBS WAY - i leadership for the new generation". You will appreciate Steve's holistic product development way which screams - "SIMPLICITY WILL GIVE SUCCESS". The whole MM540 platform was conceived to be so very SIMPLE. Now look what has been done to my beloved baby! The shocked face conveyed my thoughts in totality. I have always been saying - "don't pay good money to spoil your car", but if somebody is hell bent on doing it (our country is known for it), there is nothing I can do.

That said, in DKG's Thar thread, I have completely described what must be done to the Thar CRDe once it is fitted with number plates and out of the showroom. I am surprised that nobody has done it. There is so much that can be done, not only cosmetically but also mechanically. I am going to the extent of mentioning here that - The real Thar CRDe has not even hit the Indian roads yet!

Think!

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar

Dear Mr. Dhabhar

I was told by someone in the know that there is a THAR being made with a MHawk 2.2....is that true ? Are you aware of it ?? A PM would be appreciated if you do not wish to share it over the forum.

Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:33   #102
BHPian

I honestly find the idea of having bucket seats, which can be reclined when the jeep is parked, quite refreshing. Also apparently there is a table. So one can take the jeep wherever it can go (where other things don't go, apparently), and have a picnic without having to sit cross legged on a mat on the ground. nice.
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:54   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will appreciate Steve's holistic product development way which screams - "SIMPLICITY WILL GIVE SUCCESS". The whole MM540 platform was conceived to be so very SIMPLE.
This is stretch. Just about anything can be made to fit another statement, but equating Apple's design choices with Mahindra's platform going the 'simple' way is worse than comparing a MM540 to a bullock cart.

However, I completely agree with the "don't spend.....spoil your car" statement. In the case of the "Thor" it is indeed apt.
Quote:
Think!
Best regards,
Behram dhabhar
Do you have any idea when is this "real" Thar expected? Should all BHPians avoid the Thar till then?

Last edited by Amartya : 24th October 2011 at 00:08.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:45   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
This is stretch. Just about anything can be made to fit another statement, but equating Apple's design choices with Mahindra's platform going the 'simple' way is worse than comparing a MM540 to a bullock cart. However, I completely agree with the "don't spend.....spoil your car" statement. In the case of the "Thor" it is indeed apt. Do you have any idea when is this "real" Thar expected? Should all BHPians avoid the Thar till then?
Dear Amartya - This is not stretch. I completely disagree. MM540 or all Jeeps for that matter are based on SIMPLICITY. Steve Jobs's creations are also based on SIMPLICITY, so there is nothing wrong in comparing them. I use both the iPhone and the Blackberry and believe you me, there is just no comparison. A JEEP WHICH IS NOT SIMPLE TO LOOK AT AND USE IS NOT A JEEP. To this extent, I don't like the instrument panel of the Thar CRDe but production constraints dictated otherwise. I had made a very SIMPLE instrument panel for my Thar but never got round to fitting it for "various reasons".

The "real" Thar CRDe is in my head. If somebody is dead serious, it can be done. All aggregates are already existing in other M&M vehicles which are running on the road, so all the engineering reliability is proved and readily available. Read DKG's Thar thread for more details. Then - think!

Dear Ricky - product development is a continuous process. Thar with mHawk should be very interesting if M&M does it. I really don't know. I wish them all the very best.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th October 2011, 13:29   #105
BHPian

dhabhar.behramji said - "simple jeep to look/use is real jeep"
but reality all people (especially tbhp jeepers) say "jeep with bling/blings - min alloys, fat tyres, insane modifications is true jeep"
i am confused on the extremities - so waiting simply for answers from jeep gurus.
best regards, cheers.

Last edited by shekaran : 24th October 2011 at 13:30. Reason: spell check

Most Viewed