Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 00:44   #1
BHPian

Fitting rear wiper to Maruti A-star

Hi,
After driving through the rainy monsoon days, I found that the rear windshield is almost opaque with rain and dust. I tried online to see if some thing can be done to install locally with a 12v switch in dashboard. In UK, the same Astar is selling with rear wiper as standard !!. For India this is removed to save cost !!.

The rear wiper motor is actually a DENSO make from india ( SR159200-4850). I called up the customer care number and they couldnt help me on how to source this one. This is the same item used with Alto also. Picture attached.

I believe new wagonR may also be using the same motor system. Can some one help me here.

My concern is will fitting this really void the warranty on body. ?

hg
Attached Thumbnails
Fitting rear wiper to Maruti A-star-altoindiawiper2.jpg  

Fitting rear wiper to Maruti A-star-altoindiawiper.jpg  

Last edited by humveeguy : 28th October 2011 at 00:47.
humveeguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 10:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fitting rear wiper to Maruti A-star

Indeed the rear-glass gets covered with grime after driving in the rains - I see this with our A*-AT in Kerala, where rains are almost round-the-year.

BTW, for those that don't want to make modifications to the car, will it help to use better mud-flaps ? I assume most of the grime on the glass is thrown up from the rear-wheels, in which case, proper mud-flaps can atleast reduce the problem. More so because the ones provided by the dealer with the car are plain useless - in our case they were fouling with the tyres and I had to remove them.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th October 2011 at 10:45.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if fitting a rear wiper will void the warranty on the body, but it might void the warranty on the electrical systems. Why not check with the Maruti ASC to see if they can fit it for you?

Now that the monsoons are over you won't be facing this problem for another few months. When does your warranty expire?

In all my driving I have missed a rear wiper about seven to eight times (in 12 years), so can't say I am hampered by the lack of it. Unless the rain is really thick the rear visibility hasn't yet been an issue, and when the rain is really thick, I am struggling to see what's in front more than what's behind.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

@honeybee, I also have not really felt hampered by rear-glass visibility, or lack of it actually. Also if it is just rains, it is not much of an issue. It is the rain + dirt/dust combo that creates a problem here in Kerala roads.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:29   #5
BHPian

What does maruti stinge on all their top -1 and top variants must have a rear wash wipe with defogger in vxi and zxi variants .Or atleast be offered as an optional extra . The wiper motor mus be costing 2500 + wiper arm (250) + dual washer container in front instead of 1. Plumbing pipes to the rear cost minimal and a 12 volt in dash switch . Only in some models rear glass needs to be changed . Some models a hole in the tailgate needs to be made . Like in santro the hole is already made and covered with plastic.Maruti just likes to give us less because we literally buy thousands of them each month . I too own an alto and it is rock solid but equipment is at bare minimum when compared to the santro when it is marginally more expensive than alto. The day somebody cracks the code to make a mass reliable car maruti will start crying till then in case of maruti customer is not King.
Old 28th October 2011, 14:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

anky, you must realize the moment something is offered by a manufacturer as an option, the overheads to track how many customers have ordered it, how many have got it, procuring the same, installing the same and then tracking and honouring warranty claims for the same are big. I am sure the folks at Maruti's product engineering have decided not to offer a rear wiper as a standard/optional fitment for a good reason.

Let's stick to the topic of the thread: Is it possible to fit the rear window wiper on an A-star? If yes, what's the procedure? And what are the side-effects of it?
Old 28th October 2011, 14:40   #7
BHPian

Well, good to see the various points mentioned. My car warranty will be expire after 2 years only.

Maruti Astar comes with rear wiper for all the export models. So, I may say this is really an ill treatment to the Indian customers. Astar even has the pollen filter option overseas !!. Same story with the old Alto also, they export with rear wiper. Adding pictures for reference.

The fitment afaik will require a tiny hole to be made in the metal (tail gate). Rubber spacer, washer to prevent water leaking in. The space for putting this motor is already there. washer sprayer may not be necessary. Rest is getting the wire with a relay and fuse to the dashboard. Put a anupama 12 v switch to make it on /off.
wiper blade I think is the same as in new wagonR. I suspect the same wiper motor (denso) is also there in wagonR model. Hence all the wiring kit can be taken from a similar maruti vehicle. Approx costs 3 to 5K max

side effects: Warranty issue .. If the hole is properly made as in wagonR, no other issues. power problems wont be there as relay and fuse is used.

hg
Attached Thumbnails
Fitting rear wiper to Maruti A-star-suzuki_alto_rear_05_09_03.jpg  

Fitting rear wiper to Maruti A-star-suzukialto2009rear.jpg  

Last edited by humveeguy : 28th October 2011 at 14:44.
Old 28th October 2011, 17:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@humvee. Unless you can source everhthing including the correct wiper stack and motor, I don't think it will be worth the effort on a new car. The wiper stalks are generally designed for a particular glass curvature and you will need to source the correct wiper stack and blade.

You don't want to end up with a hole in the rear door and wiper that fit/wipe poorly.

@honeybee:

The only reason why maruthi doesn't offer a rear wiper is to lower cost/increase profits. Any vehicle like a hatch/wagon/SUV etc that has a vertial rear glass must have a wiper for safety reasons. No point in trying to defend and justify Maruthi engineers for this lapse. Most likely a decision made by the bean counters in Maruthi.

We will start to see rear wipers/ABS across model ranges only if govt makes these basic safety features mandatory.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
W Like in santro the hole is already made and covered with plastic.
Yeah atleast they should have made the provision for optional fitment. Too bad
Thought of all options for my swift and finally abandoned the idea
Old 24th November 2011, 18:21   #10
BHPian

Hi,

I am planing to install rear wiper in Wagon r Lxi (2007 model) and spoke to Maruti Service center. They were a bit hesitant with the idea but told me approx cost of spares would be around 3k but the parts are not available and need to be booked in advance. When I called them again they gave a different explanation and told there is no rear wiper kit (new Wagon R) and all parts have to be sourced separately. They said I need to consult a technician at the service center who will provide a list of all parts and I will have to make some advance payment to book the spare parts.

There are lot of threads with similar discussion about Swift/Alto and wagon r but I have not see anyone going ahead with the installation.

Could someone please help me out with a service manual which will have spare part list for the new wagon r so that I can estimate the actual cost and be sure we are not missing any spare part.

Another concern is the combination switch controlling all lights/wiper. Will i have to install a new combination switch or can a separate switch control rear wiper.

Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Seen a guy at shivaji park in a blu alto lxi fit a rear wash wipe . Will stop and ask him and take pictures next time i see him . This is in mumbai.
Old 26th November 2011, 15:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post
I tried online to see if some thing can be done to install locally with a 12v switch in dashboard. The rear wiper motor is actually a DENSO make from India (SR159200-4850)... This is the same item used with Alto also. Picture attached.
Hi HumveeGuy, looks like you're on the correct track, the part number on the wiper motor you've posted (38810M76G00) does indicate that its the same as the one that was available in the Alto.

Name:  AltoRearWiper.png
Views: 13719
Size:  614.6 KB

Just quote the part numbers & ask your local auto-parts store or your local service-center to order them for you.

Last edited by im_srini : 26th November 2011 at 15:38.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:02   #13
BHPian

Hi I think the problem her is not the motor or how to drill the hole in the hatch but the availability of the right wiper arm to put on the motor , even a blade can be bought but the right arm will be a difficult find as the indian astar does not have this so no part available . Also the alto or wagon R arm cannot be put owing to its different size.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi HumveeGuy, looks like you're on the correct track, the part number on the wiper motor you've posted (38810M76G00) does indicate that its the same as the one that was available in the Alto.

Attachment 847734

Just quote the part numbers & ask your local auto-parts store or your local service-center to order them for you.
Hi,

Do we have a manual for Wagon R where all part numbers are listed together similar to picture posted by you. If we have this part number list we can atleast check availability of parts. I guess for Wagon R we may be able to use the rear wiper on Wagon r (2010 model).

Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 13:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Do we have a manual for Wagon R where all part numbers are listed together similar to picture posted by you. If we have this part number list we can atleast check availability of parts. I guess for Wagon R we may be able to use the rear wiper on Wagon r (2010 model).
Hi Antardaksh, unfortunately I have only the parts catalogs of the Alto, Swift, & A-Star with me. The last time I approached the local MGP stockist here for a parts catalog, I was told that they're in short supply of printed catalogs since Maruti has stopped printing them & is planning to distribute the catalogs through CD/DVD going forward.

Anyway, in your case, since the new Wagon-R Vxi available here has the rear wiper, the associated parts would be listed in the relevant parts-catalog. Your local Maruti service-center should have this catalog as the new Wagon-R's been here for a while. You can note down the part-numbers from the catalog & order them from Maruti through the service-center itself.

In the case of the A-Star, none of the models available here have the rear wiper, hence the parts catalog for the A-Star does not list the parts even though the model exported from here has the rear wiper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks