Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 04:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Installed: Lovato sequential LPG kit in my Hyundai Accent

The car easily moves into 90K km without any issues so far, the engine still likes to be revved in LPG/Petrol mode and except the basic service at every 5K km, nothing has been spent on it. With the cost of LPG being between Rs.36-40 and a consistent mileage of 12kmpl in City and 14kmpl on highways, the Lovato sequential kit has performed exceptionally in 6 years and 63K km's.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 00:38   #32
BHPian

Hi deehunk, your thread has been a real help.

Im planning to buy a new alto 800 and convert it to lpg.

Most of the SA advice against it with vague explanations. One senior mechanic mentioned that “gasket is the often replaced part as it gets hot soon with lpg. Hence when on long runs, its suggested to take breaks to allow enginr it to cool down”

Though lpg is said to burn cooler than petrol, I came through an article which seem to match with what the mechanic said.

Quoting “ LPG is a cooler burning fuel, therefore the engine does not produce as much heat or pressure to the cylinder.

The issue with LPG in the engine is the temperature LPG turns to a gas vapour is the normal atmospheric temperature. Because of this, because the engine providers a hotter environment, when LPG converts into gas vapour, it evaporates faster, and because of this, in spite of the cooler burning process, when the evaporation occurs, the heat jumps up in the cylinder head.

This may cause concern for the need to monitor the cylinder head temperature. However, not all vehicles have a temperature device on for the cylinder head temperature.

An LPG engine will heat up faster due to the cylinder head temperature, even with a cold engine. Petrol engines take a while to warm up, so this is a good thing for engines. “

Please do share your thoughts. Link to the article is below:-

https://www.acemechanics.com.au/does...-engine-orcar/
sreeJiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 10:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting this interesting question. There are 2 concerns about long-term use of LPG in petrol cars, one is valve seat recession because of hot burnt gases exiting through exhaust valves, second, the cracks in the exhaust manifold. Both these are long-term possibilities for any car. The valve seats on the cars of our generation can easily last more than 1.5L kilometers if not abused and maintained properly. The root cause of such problems or assumptions was due to the unmonitored supply of gas by the old generation open loop and closed loop gas kits. The current generation sequential kits inject gas with a high degree of precision, but even these LPG kits are heavily abused by owners by using cooking gas. There is lack of knowledge about LPG among installers and owners. I agree that there are no lubricants available in India for LPG powered engines unlike in Europe and Australia. I spoke to Pandian an SME for LPG cars a couple of months back for converting my WR-V, the new kits expected to launch in India is much more advanced in terms of functionality than the kit used in my Accent. Both of my previous cars are still running fine, the other one is Spark.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 05:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
Hi deehunk, your thread has been a real help.

Quoting “ LPG is a cooler burning fuel, therefore the engine does not produce as much heat or pressure to the cylinder.

The issue with LPG in the engine is the temperature LPG turns to a gas vapor is the normal atmospheric temperature. Because of this, the engine providers a hotter environment, when LPG converts into gas vapor, it evaporates faster, and because of this, in spite of the cooler burning process, when the evaporation occurs, the heat jumps up in the cylinder head.

This may cause concern for the need to monitor the cylinder head temperature. However, not all vehicles have a temperature device on the cylinder head temperature.
Hi Jiva, I came across this information on ValveCare system used in Prins LPG kits. I have not seen this kind of additional accessories in Lovato or BRC kits. Check the pdf file and video link from Prins LPG Kits,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gebruikershandleiding_ValveCare.pdf (418.2 KB, 237 views)
Old 13th January 2018, 16:23   #35

Hi all,
What would be the present day cost of installing a sequential lpg kit? Any one heard of Star gas systems? I found someone who can install the Star gas sequential system, I was planning to buy a 2007-8 model Honda City and convert it to lpg.
Old 13th January 2018, 19:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

The kits are available from Rs.25K to Rs.45K, I would advise a BRC or Lovato kit from my experience.
Old 7th January 2019, 13:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

The car has moved into 1 lakh kilometes segment and continues to run without any issues.
Old 8th December 2019, 08:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

My Accent was sold to CARS24 on Thursday for a price of Rs.75,000.
I never had to worry about the LPG kit during 8 years of ownership and engine was still in best condition. Mods please close the thread.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks