Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 23:41   #1
BANNED

Skoda Octavia VRS - H&R Springs Modification Query

Hi,

I own a Skoda Octavia VRS.I have installed Bilstein B6 Shocks and H&r springs.Its been a year and a half since the modification.I haven't had any issues till date.

Now i am not satisfied with the lowering level the spring offers and there is no issue of road bumps as i run only strictly inside the city and all bumps are of minimal height so nothing to worry on that.

The adjustable suspension cost a bomb.So is cutting one of the dead coils of the spring to lower the height by 1/2 " a safe practical idea??

From my research the tension comes only in the active area of the spring and the dead coils are used for the spring to rest on the suspension.Wont it be a cost effective way to lower our ride.?

Guys i need your inputs.Please do help me out here....
Old 2nd November 2011, 06:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia VRS - H&R Springs Modification Query

I have done it on my Sonata to lower ride height. While it is possible to do it, careful measurements have to be taken & springs have to be uniformly heated in a kiln at 1000 Celsius before cutting. After cutting, it is put in an oil bath to prevent heat stresses. After that it is cooled down in a sand bath. So it is quite an involved procedure.

Also, if the springs are flattened at either the upper or lower ends to sit snugly in the perches, then you can't mod it at all. Some springs also have variable stiffness in bounce. Then again you cannot mod it.

I repeat this is NOT a simple job of using an oxy-acetelene cutter to simply cut the excess bits.

So, do know the pitfalls of what you are getting into.

Last edited by 1self : 2nd November 2011 at 06:16.
1self is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:16   #3
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia VRS - H&R Springs Modification Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFI View Post
Hi,

I own a Skoda Octavia VRS.I have installed Bilstein B6 Shocks and H&r springs.Its been a year and a half since the modification.I haven't had any issues till date.

Now i am not satisfied with the lowering level the spring offers and there is no issue of road bumps as i run only strictly inside the city and all bumps are of minimal height so nothing to worry on that.

The adjustable suspension cost a bomb.So is cutting one of the dead coils of the spring to lower the height by 1/2 " a safe practical idea??

From my research the tension comes only in the active area of the spring and the dead coils are used for the spring to rest on the suspension.Wont it be a cost effective way to lower our ride.?

Guys i need your inputs.Please do help me out here....
The Octy RS is one awesome car, the Bilstein/H&R set-up must have given her sweet handling as well.

I'd suggest you save up and go for a new set of springs rather than ruin your H&R. 1self has listed the process above, its doesn't sound practical & you risk losing your springs.

1/4 inch of a coil is almost an inch of ride height, the cut has to be correct till the last mm to ensure your car is even on all corners. If not, your risking your safety in an extreme scenario such as emergency braking/swerving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks