Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 12:50   #16

Re: Car Air conditioner electronic lock or remote

So immobilizer is out, handing keys is out.
What remains is buying a Xylo (!!), trying a bike alarm system or a 12V DC remote system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Of course you can fit another immobilizer "technically" but it is not practical and it would cost you a bomb. Also if your car is under warranty, it would void your warranty. Secondly finding a qualified technician will be a challenge.

On a lighter note, buy yourself a Xylo, which has a feature to infer how many kms where driven with AC and how many without AC.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:55   #17

Re: Don't want the driver using air-conditioner in my absence

We have not directly asked if he uses the AC when we are not there, but we think we can indicate to him that the fuel efficiency is not as before, so that he knows we at least have an eye on that. Probably that will help change his attitude. On the other hand, we cannot be really sure he is using the AC, unless we put a hidden camera or some other gadget in the car. Maybe we ourselves are using the AC too much ! Handing duplicate key is out of question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Best would be to keep a watch, may be give a surprise visit to check if he is running the engine when the car is parked. In the first place, I am assuming that you have asked the driver if he uses the AC.
Anything which makes the driver to feel that you don't trust him is a bad idea.
If you start handing a duplicate key every time you get down, any individual with some self respect will not stay. It will only the spoil the relationship.
Old 5th November 2011, 13:01   #18

I think you are right, better keep things over the table. Just installing the system may lead to his trying to manipulate it.
Of course, he will know something has changed, when the AC works only when one of us is in the car.
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Use management first. Then if it fails, use technology.

Why don't you talk to him that you are finding the fuel efficiency low these days and ask him if he is using the A/C on idle. Let him know that it is not good for the car and your pocket. As a further step, follow what GTO pointed out - "BTW, monitor your fuel efficiency on a full tank to full tank basis. Hold your driver responsible if it falls too low."

Why? Won't the driver think why the A/C works only when saab is inside the car? If talking to him do not work out, better let him know that you will be forced to install a sort of control - mechanical or electronic as suggested in above posts. He has to know why he is punished, otherwise he can try tinkering with the control, thinking since you did not speak to him about it, he also not going to speak about overcoming it.
That is worth a try, but usually one of us would be with the car while petrol is filled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
how about changing the billing model
Ask him how much mileage the car gets. IF you think what he says is realistic, pay him for the fuel, based on that calculation, and watch it him suddenly become very frugal
You are right, it would at least give some evidence that he is using the AC. Let me see if an electrician can install such a device, once I find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Just 1 more idea popped into my mind. Connect an hour meter / time counter in parallel to the wire going to the elctromagnetic clutch in the compressor. If it ecxeeds the time you travel in the car, you found the cluprit. Digital hour meters are commonly used in gensets, earth movers, tractors, etc. in the standard 63mm guage size.
Thanks for the details. Any idea about how much current amperage a car AC has ? Or probably use same amperage for heavy duty relay and wires, as used for the main AC switch - that should be mentioned in some spare parts list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
You use the 12v remotely switchable supply from the device(bike central locking/remote LED driver) to power a separate relay (heavy duty) which in turn turns on supply to the aircon switch. That is, the aircon will turn on only when you activate the relay with remote & then press the A/C on switch. If you observe carefully, the A/C switch is heavy duty one & of high amperage. So, using bike Central lock System as such to switch A/C on is bound to cause electrical problems. Use Havell's/Finolex HRFR cables of 2sq mm or more, in addition to the relay for this application .

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th November 2011 at 16:33. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 20:32   #19
BHPian

I might sound too philosophical, but exchanging keys would look "inhuman". Most of us face this problem and one suggestion is to take your driver to a better place for him to wait. Say if you are visiting a mall ask him to also take a look around and simultaneously explain him the harmful effects of the A/c being switched on in a stationary car.

Ideally the driver must also love the car, but one has to be lucky to get such a person.
Old 5th November 2011, 20:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook09 View Post
We have not directly asked if he uses the AC when we are not there, but we think we can indicate to him that the fuel efficiency is not as before, so that he knows we at least have an eye on that. Probably that will help change his attitude. On the other hand, we cannot be really sure he is using the AC, unless we put a hidden camera or some other gadget in the car. Maybe we ourselves are using the AC too much ! Handing duplicate key is out of question.
I suggest to better keep things simple and ask him if he uses AC and if he does tell him not to use it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks