Team-BHP - Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/110982-ford-endeavour-diesel-beast-phase-1-interior-painting-seats-roof-door.html)

So after being generally satisfied with the interiors of the Endy, I woke up one fine morning with the itch to not just be satisfied anymore. I wanted to dramatically change the overall concept of the Endy interior. Of course, this road automatically leads to:

After looking through the options available to me (went through almost 22 shops all around Bangalore), and I was feeling a bit depressed. What I wanted was a shift in the philosophy of the Endy interior - and this road was merely leading to a refresh. To give you guys an idea of what the interior looks like:

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-everest_interior_gallery_img_31.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-026.jpg

The first photo is actually from an Everest, but is a decent approximation. What irritates me about the car:

I wanted everything to change. This means:

Is essence, everything needed to change. But in my darkest hour of depression, my good friend Amit (from Drift, Koramangala) steps in. In a couple of minutes, he gets the concept drawn out, understands the overall requirement and budget, the timeline for execution and so on so forth and says,"Dude, I got this".

Needless to say I was ecstatic!!! Finally someone who tells me how he will do what I want, as opposed to others telling me what they have. You gotta love Amit's "can-do" attitude. Needless to say, the next morning I woke up with a clutch of fear in my belly. This car is my most treasured possession. Do I really want people to strip it out completely from the inside and paint it through? I went to Amit and told him that I'm going ahead with the job, but I will hold him to any damage whatsoever happens to the car. Amit gave a blanket assurance, and from my prior experience with Drift, I knew these guys to be professional.

So on the morning of 31st October, I handed him my car and my keys with a heavy heart. Subsequently, I was travelling outside India and did not get the opportunity to see the work in progress. The work was ambitious, and involved the following:

I kept wondering about the decision to do all of this. I mean, the Endy is a rigid beast. Taking him apart is not a decision I thought I would ever take. It sounds too risky. The only thing which helped me maintain my sanity was the knowledge that the car was in capable hands.

Then on 11th November, I get a call from Amit telling me to come down and see the work. As I walked into the work area, I lost my breath. I'll let the pictures talk:

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-003.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-005.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-006.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-007.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-009.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-012.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-013.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-015.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-016.jpg
The gentleman in one of the above pictures is Mr. Munawar. He was the genius who was responsible for taking apart the car and painfully painting each piece - there is a picture above where each part of the car has been laid out on the table for painting.

God, I loved it!!! The interior was looking significantly more aggressive and vibrant. Of course, it still hurt to see the roof removed and see the organs beyond the skin, but I knew these surgeons were moving exactly as per plan. Full marks to Munawar for mixing the paint to exactly (98%) match the Bordeaux art leather.

I went home buzzing with excitement as the guys were gonna put the car together the next day. I couldn't wait!!!

In the morning, at around 11 am, I got a call from Drift. It went like this, "Brother, you should see this man. The interiors are wicked!!!". I ran to drift and sure enough, my baby was all put back together. The only part pending was the leather cover for the steering wheel - this needed to be machined and that too in real leather, but I couldn't wait. I told them to give me the car as soon as they finished cleaning up. I wanted to wear in the interior soon. Some pics of the nearly finished product:

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-019.jpg

Name:  Picture 018.jpg
Views: 7043
Size:  102.0 KB

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-020.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-021.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-023.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-024.jpg

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-picture-025.jpg
The only part remaining is minor touch-ups (there will be the inevitable scratches while installation), the steering wheel leather stitching and the rear AC knob repainting. And of course a couple of things which I can't remember.

Now, I'm happy. I wanted a shift in my interiors, and I believe I've got it. Of course, this might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm a-loving it!!!

I can now consider Phase 1 complete.

Wicked and Wild, for sure. Its too bold for my taste but hey you love it so that is the end of story.

How much the whole thing cost, is it all pure leather? I see all the paintings are done for inside only and exterior remains the same. The gear stick looks interesting did you change the whole stick or just the covering and top?

I have a feeling that even though it looks a bit garish in the photos, in real life this makeover must be looking really good.

After they put everything back together, do you hear any [new] rattles in the car? If not, then Mr. Munawar must be a genius! :thumbs up

Cheers,
Vikram

Wicked and Wild was the theme. It is supposed to fully complement the external work I was planning. But more on that after it's done :)

Nope, it is not in real leather - I had leather before, but I have a monstrous dog

Ford Endeavour - Diesel Beast Phase 1: Interior Painting + Seats + Roof + Door-rsz_dsc00892.jpg

(adorable picture of him trying to bite my head off), who has a penchant for leaving scratch-marks/tears in the leather. Knowing this, I wanted art leather as replacement would not cost me an arm and leg.

About the paint - yup, Phase 1 was only interior. I have big plans for the exterior which require somebody with the experience and know-how (since there are some body-shape mods I want to do). If you've got any work done from anybody who does a top-notch job do let me know.

The gear - I didn't have to make any changes to the stick. I got the leather boot and the gear head is a Sparco design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 2577187)
I have feeling that even though it looks a bit garish in the photos, in real life this makeover must be looking really good.

After they've put everything back together, do you hear any [new] rattles in the car? If not, then Mr. Munawar must be a genius! :thumbs up

Cheers,
Vikram

:eek: Nervousness - since I saw the word "garish". Hopefully, this isn't go to "Weird & Wacky"...

But yeah Vikram, the color in the photos make the leather (specially the Bordeaux) look brighter than it is. It looks marginally lighter than it is. The actual color is tending more towards a wine-red.

Nope, no rattles!!! This was my biggest fear as well, but thankfully nothing seems to be rattling. One peace of mind factor for me was the support that Drift had provided - anytime, anything seems to go wrong and these guys will put it back for no charge. This confidence reeks of experience to me - and so far they've kept their word.

hmmm!! I should say a really bold decision considering you were satisfied with the old look. Hope it looks great in flesh and when the exterior compliments the interior!

And hey! Thats a lovely doggie that you have!

:D That is some wild imagination at work!!

Please paint internal rear view mirror to black, red looks really odd!

This interior combination will go well with red, black or white exterior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 2577246)
:D That is some wild imagination at work!!

Please paint internal rear view mirror to black, red looks really odd!

This interior combination will go well with red, black or white exterior.

Hey Lateesh - Thanks for the feedback man. Actually, quite a few people mentioned the same thing about the rear view mirror. Wonder why the red rear view seems to have such a reaction - of course, there were the odd couple of people who told me to keep it as well.

Actually, my concept was to keep the clip on components red - since the roof is quite large and black. If I make it black, it sticks out like a sore thumb...

Phew, thank god my car has a black exterior. A black exterior really lets you experiment with the interior...quite a few choices can work.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilisanil (Post 2577220)
hmmm!! I should say a really bold decision considering you were satisfied with the old look. Hope it looks great in flesh and when the exterior compliments the interior!

And hey! Thats a lovely doggie that you have!

Thanks man. The doggie does leave me looking for interior refits every now and then, but it comes with the territory.

Just one correction in your post - when I said I was satisfied, I meant it as in I was "only satisfied". There's something fundamental missing in the Endy interiors, in my opinion. I mean, it looks good enough, but the exterior is incredibly butch while the interior looks a little too "soccer mom" for my taste. By which I mean, a little too tame.

I would love for Ford to throw in some brushed aluminium trimmings instead of the wood bits. Also, I wish they'd do something about the beige. As an old friend used to say,"Beige is where color goes to die". Don't get me wrong, I actually like beige, but the Endy interior is like a single bedroom flat all in beige.

Of course, this is all my opinion. Personally, I'm a huge fan of contrast and using vivid colors.

Is this for real? * pinches self *

If I am not grossly inaccurate, I can relate to your thought process, Anarchy. I am a big fan of the Endy's conservative interiors and the philosophy of keeping things just simple and for purpose. (That the Endy is a "no-frills, no-nonsense, no-flashes" SUV is a different topic for discussion. :))

However, over a period of time, I might want to see something just different on the surface, say the colors. Or leather upholstery instead of fabric. I definitely don't want a sunroof.

I appreciate your taste. And the workmanship the garage has given you. A black Endy with red/black interiors. Red illumination on dials and controls. Wow.

I am a big fan of leather for its sheer durability not to mention looks. Does this garage do leather?

What next? Lounge lights? Also, I actually like the footwell lighting on the Endy. I don't have it currently, but looking to get one. How about the lounge effect on that as well?

One more Qn.; I just can't stop. Where did you get THAT bull bar?

* must stay away from your thread for fear of breaking the bank *

Nicely done. While the finishing looks great, somehow it looks incomplete. I mean it looks aftermarket. But that's just me. :) Hows the durability factor? I mean, does the paint adhere well to the surface? Also, try and click some pics without flash. It will look better. And also some wider angles.

Could you pass on the contact please? I want to get my calipers painted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassem (Post 2579052)

Caliper painting, guys at A1 Car Care Centre in Wilson garden does it. I got mine painted there.

This is Zabardast!! It looks great !

IMHO though it would have looked a lot nicer and more airy if the whole roof was in a lighter shade color - in this case it would red (which is lighter than black :))

Also, if you can get your dash trim, wherever the wood is there into Alum finish it'll add to the look ..

My 2 cents... it looks refreshing nonetheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssh1979 (Post 2578974)
Is this for real? * pinches self *

I am a big fan of leather for its sheer durability not to mention looks. Does this garage do leather?

What next? Lounge lights? Also, I actually like the footwell lighting on the Endy. I don't have it currently, but looking to get one. How about the lounge effect on that as well?

One more Qn.; I just can't stop. Where did you get THAT bull bar?

* must stay away from your thread for fear of breaking the bank *

Thank you ssh1979. I'll try and answer all your questions:

1) Yes, these guys do real leather as well. The only reason I didn't opt for real leather is that my Dog screws up my interiors regularly and I cannot afford constant leather redos :D

2) Lounge lights? No...I think I'm about done with the interiors. There is some minor retouches and stuff, but the majority is completed. Next up, I want to get aluminium highlights on my steering wheel - to match the gearbox. I'm also in the market for anyone who can do my buttons/switches in aluminium.

3) Footwell lighting - are you talking about the Endy lighting on the door skid pads? If yes, then I agree with you. It looks brilliant!!!

4) The bull-bar is an Endy original from Ford. I don't think they sell it anymore, but I think it's worth an ask. I love the original bull-bar. It gives such an aggressive feel to the front.

Phew - hope that answers your questions :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassem (Post 2579052)
Nicely done. While the finishing looks great, somehow it looks incomplete. I mean it looks aftermarket. But that's just me. :) Hows the durability factor? I mean, does the paint adhere well to the surface? Also, try and click some pics without flash. It will look better. And also some wider angles.

Thanks Tassem - that feedback is useful indeed. Can you let me know what exactly you feel is missing? I'm open to any idea.

Durability seems to be good - but it's too early to confirm this. I'm gonna see how it stays over the next three months. But the painter said it will remain for life - and he's done some good work with others I know, so I tend to believe him. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding.

About the pictures - yup, I was planning to do the same thing. I'll click some pictures without the flash. That should give everybody a better idea about the interior work.

The guy who owns the shop is Amit. His number is +919900141126. The name of the shop is Drift.

Lemme know how the paint-job works out.