Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2006, 22:08   #1
BHPian

What all can you do with an indica?

I had read a few articles on this forum about Indicas, rather very interesting one all of them turned out to be. Well I got lot of questions to ask. Don't even know if it's possible to be done on an Indica. Anyhow I own a Tata Indica DLS 2003 model, not the face lifted one, the one before that.

1. This model doesn't come with a tachometer and I for one badly need it. The HUD on the face lifted version is kind of better than the one I have. So is it possible to replace mine with this unit that also has the electronic meter and will I also be able to use the tachometer. Basically asking how do I fix a tachometer?

2. I read that the tachometer wiring needs to be connect to the ignition coil's negative terminal. Now where in the engine bay will I find the ignition coil?

3. I got a sub installed on the plank and the bass that it produces isn't too convincing. Is there any way that I can improve this.

4. I got an amplifier and a cd changer mounted behind the rear seat. This setup rather consumes my whole boot space and long trip it's very annoying to travel without enough boot space. I was thinking of fixing it under the front seats when I noticed that there is a hump like structure. The stuffs can be fixed there is this is cut out. Is this thing possible and will it harm the seating weight distribution in any way or cause any other unwanted harm.

5. Coming to the final thing, does the Tata Indica's IDI 475 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...iesel-ecu.html) engine have an ECU? If so, is it possible to fix the Pete's box??? I believe my car falls under BSII category.

Now please don't ask why all this for and Indica, can't answer that but been using it while in college and after and she failed me a bit and has always been easy on my wallet.

So guys the last thing, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need all the help I possible can get. Thanks in advance to all

Last edited by jobinjv : 8th March 2006 at 22:17. Reason: wrong hyperlink
Old 8th March 2006, 22:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it possible to fix the Pete's box??? I believe my car falls under BSII category.
Thats not possible. Petes doesnot make it for Tata cars since they arent much reliable.
Old 8th March 2006, 22:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Also it would be wise to check this thread out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...iesel-ecu.html
Old 8th March 2006, 22:36   #4
BHPian

Retrofitting DLX cluster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv
1. This model doesn't come with a tachometer and I for one badly need it. The HUD on the face lifted version is kind of better than the one I have. So is it possible to replace mine with this unit that also has the electronic meter and will I also be able to use the tachometer. Basically asking how do I fix a tachometer?
I had the first generation Indica V2 DLS, not the face lifted one. The model didnt have a techo factory fitted. DLX came with one. I had got the whole instrument cluster changed from the DLS to that of the DLX. That time it didnt have the digital odo and stuff, just analog speedo, analog tacho, analog odo ane analog temp and fuel gauge.

Check out with the service station guys if retro fitting the DLX instrument cluster is now possible for your model.

AP
Old 8th March 2006, 23:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

U should fit an external tachometer on the dash,man.

This has to be connected to the alternator for diesel engines.

I'm searching for a tacho for my sumo too. We can hunt together at pudupet if u want to.
Old 8th March 2006, 23:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous

I'm searching for a tacho for my sumo too. We can hunt together at pudupet if u want to.
Me tried doing that too for my indica, I didnt find one for a diesel :( Everywhere I checked, peopled said, finding an external techo for a diesel is very difficult. Indeed I couldnt find one in Bombay about 3 years back :(
IMO, getting the DLX cluster for the Indica would be the best bet, unless ofcourse, if you can find and external tacho for a diesel
Old 9th March 2006, 01:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Nitrous I'm not too keen to drill my dash to fix a tachometer. It'll look cool though but I'm kind of not for the stuff. I want to maintain the way the dash looks. Changing to the new one is really what I'm for, if the digital ones can do there job on this model too.
By the way any clue where in Pudupet u can change the lights on the display and get in cool blue one rather than the common green one.
Old 9th March 2006, 01:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Thats not possible. Petes doesnot make it for Tata cars since they arent much reliable.
BUSA, I did mention that page. What I would like to know is if the ECU was present in the BSII model. VinDisel in his thread has mentioned about a BSIII Indica. This is what's confusing me.
Above did TATA go into all these trouble of getting and ECU fitted to meet omission norm. That’s kind of wow.

And what do you mean by reliability of a TATA. And whats it to do with remapping the ECU .
Old 9th March 2006, 02:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Jovin, gimme a call if u're serious about the instrument console. I know the tata whole-saler in town
Quote:
No way. Pete's Psi powerbox products are tested for universal engines like the skoda's 1.9 TDi,hyundai CRDis,etc.. Tata cars are sold only in India and it'll take a pretty long time and not many "average kya hai" people would wanna 'pete' their indicas since it was never bought with the smallest intention of power.
Old 9th March 2006, 13:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No way. Pete's Psi powerbox products are tested for universal engines like the skoda's 1.9 TDi,hyundai CRDis,etc.. Tata cars are sold only in India and it'll take a pretty long time and not many "average kya hai" people would wanna 'pete' their indicas since it was never bought with the smallest intention of power.
No serious as far as i remember Petes said he tested it both didnot find it worthy for the Tata engines as they arenot that solid.

Last edited by BUSA : 9th March 2006 at 13:12.
Old 10th March 2006, 09:33   #11
BHPian

somebody please look up the indica which was done by j anand for tata and showcased at the auto expo in delhi and post the link here. dont think you can go more radical than that. awesome machine.
Old 9th October 2007, 13:17   #12

I have jus bought a new Swift Ldi and wanna fit a tacho in it. I jus wanted to know were it would be available in chennai and the cost of it.
One more thing is will there be any breach of warrenty if the tacho is fitted in the car.
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:41   #13
BHPian

Hello all,
Reviving an old thread. I though that adding a new post here is fitting rather than starting an all new thread.
I own an Indica V2 DLS NA 2004 (Euro II) model. I bought it for its great space and economy and the car has lived upto its expectations.
Now I am looking for some performance upgrade for the car since I will not sell for the next 2 years at least.
I was having a query regarding Indica's ECU. I think the 2004 models came with an ECU. Need to confirm that.
But if it does, will it be possible to replace Indica's ECU with the Indigo NA's version?
As far as I can see, both share the same engine but Indica's output is 55 BHP whereas Indigo's (NA version)
is something like 62 BHP. So the ECU map must have been tweaked for the extra performance.
I need to know whether this can be done and how much will it cost.
Can the ECU be sourced from some broken down / accident cars?
Coming to think of it, the additional 7 BHP will be worth it if it does not cost a bomb.
Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 4th March 2008, 17:22   #14
BHPian

Hi,
This is the link I found for Indica's technical specifications.
Tata Indica - Tata Indica Car - Tata Indica V2 - Tata Indica V2 DLX - Tata Indica V2 DLG - Tata Indica V2 DLS
Do these match for the 2004 model as well?
Can anybody please confirm this.
Also, gurus, can you please provide me some direction on my queries?

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 4th March 2008, 17:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

2 letters. K&N
dunno if they help NA diesels that much though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks