Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 00:22   #196
BHPian

Re: PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Cut a small portion and stick it to the most elevated surface of the mirror. Get to the opposite side, ie the reflective side and start stretching. You could ask another person to hold a hair dryer gun against the vinyl, while you stretch it from the opposite side. It will work butter smooth, and the vinyl will automatically take the shape of the curve without being forced to do so. You can later finish it by pressing out the surfaces. This will give you a 100% wrinkle free solution.
Arrgh !! I shouldve waited for your post before I did the second mirror. No wonder its kinda easier to do a cars mirrors as you cant take them off.
The above one has much lesser wrinkles than the second one.

Quote:
Had not updated due to exams. Let me do it now:[list][*]Purchased a squeege from JC road for 80 bucks. Did not know a piece of rubber costed that much.
Was it worth it? Or did the shopkeper just loot you?

Quote:
[*]Did the underside running panel of my dio in premium black vinyl. Fit the curves perfectly.[*]Tried wrapping the grab handle of the Dio in CF vinyl, and wasted two squarefoot of it! It was fit well, and I slowly started trimming the edges. Then ended up trimming too much of it, and eventually ripped it off with a hard heart.
I get the feeling

Quote:
[*]Plan to research on acrylic film as a paint proection film(no competition to 3M, but just food for thought)
Have you seen the films that are on the helmet visors when you purchase them? They work on the same principle as 3m paint protection films i.e surface tension. What im thinking is - 3m ppf has more surface tension for clear coat of the paint just as the helmet film has surface tension only for the
visor glass and wont work on any other material.

So you need to find a material that like the 3m film has more surface tension for clear coat.

[quote][*]Next in line will be wrapping mirrors, but no volunteers found yet Both my cars have body coloured mirrors that blend in very well with the car, and hence dont want to blacken it up. My dad will be behind my back if I spoil the body-coloured theme, or untill me or him scratch it up somewhere!

There were a few who had agreed earlier in the thread

Lastly, I believe a man can do what any other man can. Unlike the sticker guys, we just need to practise and hone the skill.
Old 5th January 2013, 01:00   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Was it worth it? Or did the shopkeper just loot you?
Well, I read it online that the squeege costed some 10-15 bucks a piece. So was expecting in that range. However, most of the shops I enquired gave me a price of 80 rupees odd. It just looks like a pencil eraser, bigger in size. So, I felt it was on the expensive side. However, the MRP printed on it was Rs.160 so I feel it does cost so much. However, it is doing a brilliant job for me. For the running board, it did help in easy application and flattening.

I will give more info on the acrylic sheet in the review of my dio. I have pit some samples on the scoot for some endurance testing and it does hold up well, especially on the instrument cluster, and the indicators. Think it will be OT here. Right now it has withstood blasts of water and soap, along with some harsh weather. The catch is, it is outright cheap. Stay tuned.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 22:40   #198
BHPian

Wanted to get my ORVM's wrapped with the CF stickers - quoted 3200 by a shop in Khan Market , Delhi. Do you guys think the price is justified ? Also quoted 7500 for wrapping the mirrors , center console and switch panels on both doors. Using genuine 3M wrap , the quote is 12k.

Last edited by ZBlue : 5th January 2013 at 22:45.
ZBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 22:57   #199
Senior - BHPian

Guys .
Im planning to get the bonnet of my Ritz CF wrapped , this is basically to cover all the stone hits on the bonnet due to the highway runs.
So wanted to know, will the heat generated by diesel engine effect the CF wrap by any ways ?
Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlue View Post
Wanted to get my ORVM's wrapped with the CF stickers - quoted 3200 by a shop in Khan Market , Delhi. Do you guys think the price is justified ? Also quoted 7500 for wrapping the mirrors , center console and switch panels on both doors. Using genuine 3M wrap , the quote is 12k.
Oh, that's way too much .
Here @ bangalore people got the ovrm's CF wrapped from 3M store by paying 1k.

Please check with any 3M store if possible .

Cheers

Last edited by Schoudhury : 5th January 2013 at 23:01.
Old 5th January 2013, 23:20   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlue View Post
I can come up to Delhi and do the job for a lesser cost compared to what they have quoted. 3M is standard when it comes to pricing, and that is a different story. But for the local store, for the mirrors, it will cost less than Rs. 500 for both the mirrors. That, again considering heavy labour costs. I think they planned to rip you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Guys .
Im planning to get the bonnet of my Ritz CF wrapped , this is basically to cover all the stone hits on the bonnet due to the highway runs.
So wanted to know, will the heat generated by diesel engine effect the CF wrap by any ways ?
Please advise
The heat will keep the sticker in place rather than affecting it. However, please note that the film must be wrapped around the edges rather than trimmed. Wrapping it perfectly requires skill and patience, however, that will ensure that the film wont peel, or start shrinking and expanding. However, people tend to trim it along the edges to lessen the work, and that will give problems in the longrun.
Old 5th January 2013, 23:31   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

The heat will keep the sticker in place rather than affecting it. However, please note that the film must be wrapped around the edges rather than trimmed. Wrapping it perfectly requires skill and patience, however, that will ensure that the film wont peel, or start shrinking and expanding. However, people tend to trim it along the edges to lessen the work, and that will give problems in the longrun.
Yup, I already have got the roof of my car wrapped in vinyl and made sure that the side were not trimmed .
The roof of my car is a shining black vinyl which almost looks like a paint job, so kind of confused as to weather to go for cf or a similar one which i have on the roof.
Cheers
Old 5th January 2013, 23:54   #202
BHPian

wrapped one wheel ..
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img2012122200719.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img2012122300733.jpg  

Mirage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 23:56   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you have the non textured vinyl on the roof. This is not stretchable and cant be applied to the bonnet. IMO, having two different type of vinyl on the roof and hood will make it look odd. Textured vinyl does not have a glossy surface, but reflects light in small fringes which will give that cool effect.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:06   #204
BHPian

CF Gurus ,I'm a beginner to this. Please clear my doubts here (Pardon me, if you may find my doubts funny ) :

1. The CF Vinyl Wrapping is in one way, a protection to the paint or the surface to which, its applied na ? I mean, will anything happen to the stock surface during wrapping ? I mean, if i apply it to ORVM, other than looks ,will it be able to prevent the scratches occurring on the base paint on ORVM ?

2. How can CF Vinyl be removed, if we want to undo the wrapping later ?

3. What kind of shops have CF Vinyl sheet ? I'm from Trivandrum and unlike a metro, its a bit hard to find such stuff here. So, if you can tell me the type of shops, i can do a bit of research.

I'm planning on wrapping the ORVMs of my car and bike initially and then do a wrapping on rims of car. I have no experience in this and hope DIY is easy. Giving to a shop can get the job done easily ,but I wanna learn this DIY. Finding it a good and interesting thing to spend my weekends.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:53   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

1. The CF Vinyl Wrapping is in one way, a protection to the paint or the surface to which, its applied na ?

As long as the scratch is not very deep, the film can take the hit. For example, ocassional scrapes to walls, bikers hitting the mirror etc can be borne by the vinyl. Anything stronger than that, for example a sharp object scraping the mirror, a strong rub against a bus etc will lead to the film being torn and the base paint scratched.

2. How can CF Vinyl be removed, if we want to undo the wrapping later ?

Get hold of an edge, pull it out in a flat manner, slow and steady. Dont pull it perpendicular to the surface and your job is done without fuss. However, if you have a repainted part, dont apply any film. While removal, most of the cases the paint will peel along with the sticker. If you have a newly painted panel then no problem. Always apply wax to the surface before stickering. Helps in easy removal of film. If you want a permanent film application, lightly sand the surface before application. The sticker wont come off easily at all.

3. What kind of shops have CF Vinyl sheet ? I'm from Trivandrum and unlike a metro, its a bit hard to find such stuff here. So, if you can tell me the type of shops, i can do a bit of research.

Most of sticker shops have this film as it is quite popular these days.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th January 2013 at 14:18. Reason: Removing repost reference.
Old 17th January 2013, 18:47   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I recently got my wife's Swift's roof CF vinyled. This was done by Bhandari Auto on JM Road.
Hey I've been to Bhandari a couple of times to get stuff done on our cars. The owner is a really sweet guy. I just bought a Brio and got almost transparent sun films from them. Real neat job.

Now I really wanted to get my ORVMs, door handles and may be the roof too done in SILVER CF Vinyl. I've bought the EMT, so most surfaces are black plastic. So atleast the ORVMs and the door handles in silver CF would look real classy. Not so sure about the roof right now may be will get it done later.

Bhandari will have silver CF vinyl right? Can you PM me the number of any of the owners? Will talk to him about Team-BHP and as you have said will give him your reference too. Hopefully it will be done in a reasonable amount of money, don't wanna spend too much on it. Hopefully in a week or so me too will be able to show off my CF'd Brio
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 21:29   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post

Now I really wanted to get my ORVMs, door handles and may be the roof too done in SILVER CF Vinyl. I've bought the EMT, so most surfaces are black plastic. So atleast the ORVMs and the door handles in silver CF would look real classy. Not so sure about the roof right now may be will get it donel:
Just my two cents. Silver CF wont be so eye catching. Instead, go for normal silver vinyl(non reflective) and it will be equally good.
Old 18th January 2013, 12:30   #208
Senior - BHPian

@thumpingheart: I agree to what audioholic has to say. My suggestion would be to try out a piece (without sticking it) and then make a choice.

You have a PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:05   #209
BHPian

Hi people.. I plan to convert the roof of my Hyundai i-10 (old Gen) from Champagne Gold color to black. Should I go for the Glossy Black finish or the CF Vinyl. Anyone from Hyderabad who has done this ; any suggestions for a good shop.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:26   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Both are in its own leagues, but cost will be different. Also, glossy black may show up scratches and swirls, while cf vinyl will not show up the same. However maintaining cf will require periodic dressing and cleaning with an mf cloth else the fringes will accumulate dirt and scales, spoiling the look. For glossy vinyl, all you need to do is wipe it down.

Most Viewed