Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 11:29   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Both are in its own leagues, but cost will be different. Also, glossy black may show up scratches and swirls, while cf vinyl will not show up the same. However maintaining cf will require periodic dressing and cleaning with an mf cloth else the fringes will accumulate dirt and scales, spoiling the look. For glossy vinyl, all you need to do is wipe it down.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:14   #212
o.D
BHPian

Had my ORVMs and the center shiny console stickered. The job was well executed for all but quality of CF if not holding well wrt ORVMs.

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-xuv5oomw1.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-xuv5oomw2.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-xuv5oomw3.jpg

Cheers.
o.D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 19:13   #213
BHPian

I am planning to get my vinyl CF for my yeti bonnet or roof and side mirrors. I have a white color, pl suggest good place to get this in Ahmedabad.

Appreciate if some of you can suggest the places I should try the sticker, like alloy wheels, etc
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:02   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
Had my ORVMs and the center shiny console stickered. The job was well executed for all but quality of CF if not holding well wrt ORVMs.

Attachment 1044954

Attachment 1044955

Attachment 1044956

Cheers.
Nicely executed, the center looks very good. Is the glare problem resolved now ?

How about lining those white wheels with CF ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 10:08   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post

Attachment 1044954

Attachment 1044955

Attachment 1044956

Cheers.
Looks classy. Tried this earlier with the scorpio's RVM and it peeled off. Who did the job and my center console also needs some treatment on the same lines.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 20:05   #216
o.D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Nicely executed, the center looks very good. Is the glare problem resolved now ?

How about lining those white wheels with CF ?
Thanks. Yes, its helping and am very happy with having the CF's now.

Wanted the whole alloy wheel wrapped but gave up on the idea last year as it needs a highly skilled and patient person to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Looks classy. Tried this earlier with the scorpio's RVM and it peeled off. Who did the job and my center console also needs some treatment on the same lines.
Had it done from a guy who called Aqib. Tried white for the front and rear monograms, but will be going back to the blacks pretty soon.

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-xuv5oomw4.jpg
o.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 07:56   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Had not updated due to exams. Let me do it now:
  • Purchased a squeege from JC road for 80 bucks. Did not know a piece of rubber costed that much.
  • Did the underside running panel of my dio in premium black vinyl. Fit the curves perfectly.
  • Tried wrapping the grab handle of the Dio in CF vinyl, and wasted two squarefoot of it! It was fit well, and I slowly started trimming the edges. Then ended up trimming too much of it, and eventually ripped it off with a hard heart.
  • Plan to research on acrylic film as a paint proection film(no competition to 3M, but just food for thought)
  • Next in line will be wrapping mirrors, but no volunteers found yet Both my cars have body coloured mirrors that blend in very well with the car, and hence dont want to blacken it up. My dad will be behind my back if I spoil the body-coloured theme, or untill me or him scratch it up somewhere!
Audioholic where exactly on JC road did you get the squeegee from? What kind of shop was that.

I tried redoing my mirrors last night, although the end product has come out slightly better than the above, I still feel a squeegee would help to get a more even finish on the reflective side - I tried out with a star bazar card and its atleast holding on for now. But some of the edges have wrinkles. Im working alone, so how do I avoid all that mate? Please teach me

Since Ive no power connection downstairs, so Ive to get the mirrors out all the time in order to do the work. Wrapped up my mouse also yesterday and that has come out well. Although mmost of the times Ive material overlapping opposite side. How to avoid that??
Old 9th March 2013, 08:12   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Long time, no updates. I went to JC road and asked in a sticker shop. They guided me to a shop which sold all kinds of films and accessories. This shop is located roughly above car shringar. If you look above car shringar, there are small shops in the first floor. Scan the row of shops and you will find this.

Also purchased a no brand heat gun when I had been to SP Road. Discovered that it does wonders in flexing the vinyl. The film just turns into a cloth and once cooled, it hardens. That time we can easily trim it. Did not do much CF Work these days but have covered some interior bits of my cars in their respective colour vinyl as a protective layer. Installed an acrylic transparent film to my sx4's orvm. Has been doing good job. Used the same film to protect my dio's instrument cluster as well.

Problem with using plastic cards is it can damage or even tear the film. Also a heatgun would do a better job for curves.

Last edited by audioholic : 9th March 2013 at 08:13.
Old 9th March 2013, 09:13   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Long time, no updates. I went to JC road and asked in a sticker shop. They guided me to a shop which sold all kinds of films and accessories. This shop is located roughly above car shringar. If you look above car shringar, there are small shops in the first floor. Scan the row of shops and you will find this.

Problem with using plastic cards is it can damage or even tear the film. Also a heatgun would do a better job for curves.
Hey that's wonderful news. I know car shringar. How much were the expenses for the heat gun and SP road which shop to visit for this?

Also can you show the acrylic films here? How much do they cost? How thick are they compared to the 3m ppf? Do you apply that also with heat?

Have you tried applying vinyl to the mirrors of your dio? Would like to see how you do it so I can get an idea. I'm ok on the curvy surfaces but the problem starts when I want to stick it to the reflective sides. Most of the wrap overlaps and causes wrinkles. I'm worried about this over lapping parts only. And please post a pic of your squeegee if possible. Even they aren't available on eBay :(

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 9th March 2013 at 09:17.
Old 16th March 2013, 19:21   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

You can find details about the acrylic film here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3010366

Have given a description and comparison there. For me, its simple - It does its job well. Thats all I need.

Applying it to unpainted plastic is near impossible. The only workaround is to finely sand the surface before applying any sort of sticker. Even if it sticks directly, it will come off with a pressure wash. So I did not apply it to the mirrors. My squeege costed 80/90 bucks I am not sure. But not more than that. It looks like a square slab, with a hard edge and soft edge.

The heat gun was procured from a shop on one of the bylanes of SP road. As you enter SP road, there is a diagonal road which has a temple at the intersection. Once you enter the diagonal road, there is a mobile accessories shop. The gun costed some 300 bucks IIRC. It does a wonderful job.

Here is the work on the pillars of my car, after removing the glossy vinyl that was previously present:

1. Cleaned with IPA intensively.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000106.jpg

2. Rough application:
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000107.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000110.jpg

Final Result:
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000111.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000112.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000113.jpg
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 19:48   #221
BHPian

Quote:
You can find details about the acrylic film here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3010366

Ha
Thank you for getting back on my query. That's some amount of work you've done on your dio.

Is the acrylic film resistant to heat to some extent? I ride for hours in the sun hope that doesn't peel off fast.

Thought of ordering the heat gun via eBay for 600 bucks but thank god I waited for your reply. Will soon make a visit to SP road to get this thing.

About the acrylic film size, I saw on aliexpress.com that they have rolls of this thing. Maybe we can get some from there. The squeegee they sell cost 50 bucks but I've not been able to figure out how to select only 1 item instead of a case lot. They have free shipping plus a lot of vinyls on offer.

A word of advice : please get a better helmet. At least an ISI approved one. I'm guessing the one in the dio pics is yours
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 20:37   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

My dio basks in the sun from morning till evening and till date no problems. My helmet does have an ISI mark but I am looking forward to buying a new helmet, as this one is quite old. Thanks for the pointer. Moreover I dont ride the scoot much. College is a km away and back home. Other than that, there is almost nil usage.
Old 4th May 2013, 13:54   #223
BANNED

I have bought CF vinyl about 8 feet length, 1 feet width. used hot air gun, though borrowed for a night. and tried these. was good, and though there was slight misalignment near cigar lighter, i slightly done it with a bit of sticker, but it is not visible outside. and also near ash tray, there is slight mis alignment, :(.

the good thing is that, it is not much visible. but other sides are satisfactory to me. and done mobile phone and an remote lock, which i am satisfied.

I have wasted about 3 feet, by pasting it to door pad, since it had much curves, that too caved in, so i coukd not make it wrinkle free, and also ,the width is not enough, i had only 1 feet , but i needed bit more. so i tried it first, and wasted it, though it is still there.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc014171.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc014181.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc014191.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc014201.jpg  

rajivanoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 20:58   #224
BANNED

done wiper arm too, since mine is faded and no paint in that, looked dull. so done it.. and also remote lock too

done instrument cluster too, but had tough time, i am not satisfied with the result
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01422.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01423.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01424.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01425.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01427.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01428.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01429.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc01430.jpg  

rajivanoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 17:51   #225
BHPian

Are there any kind of stickers which come in car's body color? Which are those and where we do we get them in Bangalore? I'm looking for options to hide some scratches on the bumper and would not want to do a DIY. Mine is a metallic grey color Palio Stile.
So, any pointers to places which can help install them would be much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks