Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 21:53   #1
BHPian

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Many a super car, Formula 1 machine come cladded with this precious material. Carbon fibre, as we all know, does an excellent job in paring down valuable kilograms, grams, miligrams, etc., thereby improving the Power-to-weight ratio.

It is almost impossible to get the real thing and even if I manage to lay my hands on the real thing by chance, it would be of no use to me. I do not own a, say, BMW M3 for which carbon fibre replacement parts like the boot and bonnet are easily available.

It all started when Rakhesh Mehta of Automania, Mumbai (from whom I get my car scale models) gave me a piece of vinyl that resembled and felt like carbon fibre. Although the piece was just enough to cover my Figo's B and a part of C pillar, it was just no enough to cover the bonnet!

This is where my close friend and auto enthuisiast to the core, Sandeep steps in. Apart from being a Fiat nut (he owns a 1960 Fiat Super Select), Sandeep is an ace when it comes to making stickers from Vinyl, reflecting tape, etc.

After a gruelling five hours, Sandeep was able to give my Figo the look I wanted - he has successfully managed to drape the Figo's entire bonnet with vinyl having a carbon fibre look and feel. There are no joints and the whole job is in one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2188.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2189.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2194.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2195.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-04122011330.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-04122011331.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-04122011333.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2203.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2205.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-04122011332.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2191.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2197.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-img_2185.jpg  

AmarPaithankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 02:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

hi i have been wanting to do this for ages, but have not been able to find the 3M carbon fiber sticker, would you mind sharing the cost and the maintainance of this thing like how dirty does this get and is it easier to wipe it clean?
Old 5th December 2011, 02:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Interesting.

CF hoods do look cool, but the vinyl job should be done well and the work should not be patchy.

What caught my eye is the last (but one) picture, where your Wagon-R's boot-lid has this sticker: 'Sports-Mind'. Where did you come up with that name from? As far as I know, there is a member on the forum who goes by that name, and has a turbocharged-Swift with the same tag all around it.
Old 5th December 2011, 10:27   #4
BHPian

Hi Amar,
Will your pal Sandeep do this on a professional basis. I want to get my RED Octavia B pillars and a small section of the rear bumper done up this way. Can you pm me his number ?
Old 5th December 2011, 11:35   #5
BHPian

"Sports Mind" decal is pasted on many rally / race Suzuki cars (especially Swift).

Sandeep has hand cut the decal himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Interesting.

CF hoods do look cool, but the vinyl job should be done well and the work should not be patchy.

What caught my eye is the last (but one) picture, where your Wagon-R's boot-lid has this sticker: 'Sports-Mind'. Where did you come up with that name from? As far as I know, there is a member on the forum who goes by that name, and has a turbocharged-Swift with the same tag all around it.
AmarPaithankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 12:03   #6
BHPian

The job on the figo looks good enough.
Can you please share the cost ?
And what if we longer longer want it ? can it be removedd without any damage to the paint ?
Old 5th December 2011, 12:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
"Sports Mind" decal is pasted on many rally / race Suzuki cars (especially Swift).

Sandeep has hand cut the decal himself.
Hi Amar,

Can we get his phone number / address ?

i want to cover my B pillar and some part of rear by this sticker.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 12:45   #8
BHPian

This being vinyl, it can be peeled off if we no longer want it. The paint surface will not be damaged.

Including the cost of carbon fibre vinyl, this costs anywhere between Rs. 2000/- to Rs. 4000/- depending on the bonnet's size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
The job on the figo looks good enough.
And what if we longer longer want it ? can it be removedd without any damage to the paint ?
This being his hobby, I wonder whether Sandeep will do this on a professional basis. If yes, I will PM you his contact details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Hi Amar,
Will your pal Sandeep do this on a professional basis. I want to get my RED Octavia B pillars and a small section of the rear bumper done up this way. Can you pm me his number ?

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th December 2011 at 13:12. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
AmarPaithankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 12:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Deep inside I like the look and feel of a carbon fiber bonnet, but somehow, in practice, I always try have the sleeper look in my cars.

And, many times, I have fantasized about having the same in my car!

The fruit of one of those idle and lazy afternoons. . Are you considering any decals like this?

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dscn3967-black-bonnet.jpg
Old 5th December 2011, 12:58   #10
BHPian

I was wondering if similar sort of stuff can done with safari dashboard. I think it will really enhance the dash quality and would give a much premium feel. Any opinion if this can be done and how would it look?
Old 5th December 2011, 13:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I was wondering if similar sort of stuff can done with safari dashboard. I think it will really enhance the dash quality and would give a much premium feel. Any opinion if this can be done and how would it look?
Yes YOU can!

If you go to this thread, you'll see that fellow member k_Shanz has done something similar to his City's dash/center-console. It looks like a great job, but I'm not sure if it's of the same material.

I've got something similar in my Jazz too! it's a proper panel though, not a sticker or a vinyl.

EDIT: I'd honestly prefer the sticker, or the vinyl over the panel in my car

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th December 2011 at 13:28.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 13:26   #12
Team-BHP Support

Re: Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Neat job!

Looks very convincing, and it beats a plain black if you're into the two-tone thing.

I had made a seat out of (real) carbon fibre a few years back :

Here's pics & the full process

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 14:24   #13
Team-BHP Support

Neat job there!

I like it how you've controlled the decals and not overdone it; neither by size nor amount.

One thing though - with the hood heating up when the engine's been running for long, is there any chance it could peel off or be damaged?
Old 5th December 2011, 14:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Yes YOU can!

If you go to this thread, you'll see that fellow member k_Shanz has done something similar to his City's dash/center-console. It looks like a great job, but I'm not sure if it's of the same material.

I've got something similar in my Jazz too! it's a proper panel though, not a sticker or a vinyl.

EDIT: I'd honestly prefer the sticker, or the vinyl over the panel in my car
Thanks. any idea where i can source these stickers from? Also is it available only in black or any other colour. (in case i want to make it two tone)
Old 5th December 2011, 15:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Thanks. any idea where i can source these stickers from? Also is it available only in black or any other colour. (in case i want to make it two tone)
You should be able to source them at a reputed accessory shop. You will find it online as well and won't be too expensive. It's a good DIY job, IMO. And Carbon-fiber is generally black (with a weave pattern) and that's what carbon-fiber looks like. If you mean, a different finish, like matte-aluminum, then I'm sure you'd get that too. But I'd rather powder-coat if I want different colours.

Most Viewed