Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 15:07   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

The footrest of my dio was standing out of the black background, and moreover, it is an area prone to scratches. So I thought of going the Vinyl way. Took me close to half an hour for this one, as the two grooves took a lot of heating and stretching to perfect the edges. It can stretch easily and fits around curves without wrinkles. Here is the result:
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000179.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000180.jpg

Still have loads of sheet left, so thinking what else is eligible for this treatment
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000181.jpg
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 08:49   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The footrest of my dio was standing out of the black background, and moreover, it is an area prone to scratches. So I thought of going the Vinyl way. Took me close to half an hour for this one, as the two grooves took a lot of heating and stretching to perfect the edges. It can stretch easily and fits around curves without wrinkles. Here is the result:
Attachment 1018615

Attachment 1018616

Still have loads of sheet left, so thinking what else is eligible for this treatment
Attachment 1018617
Neat job there man. Where did you pick up this sheet from ? What I have found in town is mostly the glossy types which is the local stuff from the usual decal stores.

Since you have some more left, would you care to do my scorpio's OVRM outer case ? Lunch is on me I promise ....
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 12:08   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks I got the sheet from a nearby sticker store for an ultra low price of 50 bucks/sft. I still have around 1.5 sft left with me. However, I think the scorpio will need around two sft at least. I can source the sheets for you. To be frank, this is the first time I am doing any vinyl work so I am nervous about unleashing my experience on your scorp. However, the job is very easy on an orvm compared to what I did here, so I would be more than happy to help you get it done. In my case, the footrest had grooves into which the sticker had to be carefully moulded. This fellow had both the printed one and the textured sheet which were similarly priced. So I chose the latter. The textured vinyl is available in two more colours too, I think white and red. Do contact me if you want it.

Last edited by audioholic : 27th November 2012 at 12:11.
Old 27th November 2012, 20:51   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing the CFing, I did this to the key and keychain. Apologies if I am flooding this thread, with small things. I have very small amount of vinyl left for any big job! :P The key was looking dull, thanks to Maruti quality. So, dismantled it and gave it the vinyl treatment. Pulling it is fun, as it just flexes easily as soon as little heat is applied. Warm the vinyl, pull it around curves and corners. As easy as that. Here I used an old cloth on an iron box to warm up the entire unit. Using a hairdryer is preferable for remote locations and bigger objects. For such small objects, we may burn our fingers.

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07244.jpg

Close-up to show how it stretches around corners. Notice the weave pattern too.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07256.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07249.jpg

This was not such a good job, as there was a lot of curves. However, the entire thing is a single piece of vinyl.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07260.jpg
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 23:27   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Continuing the CFing, I did this to the key and keychain. Apologies if I am flooding this thread, with small things. I have very small amount of vinyl left for any big job! :P The key was looking dull, thanks to Maruti quality. So, dismantled it and gave it the vinyl treatment. Pulling it is fun, as it just flexes easily as soon as little heat is applied. Warm the vinyl, pull it around curves and corners. As easy as that. Here I used an old cloth on an iron box to warm up the entire unit. Using a hairdryer is preferable for remote locations and bigger objects. For such small objects, we may burn our fingers.
You rock. I must say the experiments paid off. I had similar things in mind for my i20 mirrors, key fob and also my cell phone back cover. I will be sourcing the material in a couple of days only that it is a little bit more expensive at about Rs 125/sq.ft. One question though: Did you use hair dryer while applying the vinyl on the remote ?

P.S: I am thinking of a DIY with the help of another bhpian. Only that his exams are going on. Now I cant wait

Last edited by Pancham : 27th November 2012 at 23:29.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 00:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

I used hair dryer for the footrest. It flexes superbly. Being thick, it does not tear unlike black vinyl. For the keyfob, I dismantled the panels first. We can use hair dryer but being a small part, efficiency is low. I just placed an old cloth on an iron box with moderate heat. First applied the sheet onto tge flat portion and pasted it securely. Then started pressing the keyfob panels edge by edge onto the heated cloth which will safely heat up the vinyl without sticking to the heated surface. Then just pull it and fit it along the edge. After sometime, ensure it stays there. Cut off the excess. The glue quality is good. It did not leave residue when I remlved it even though it was pasted with heat.
When working with vinyl, make sure you have an extra sharp cutter, one that can cut many pages together with the lightest force. And also, cut only along the edge else you will damage the panel underneath.

Guess Riju is more interested now, but even I have my exams approaching next month.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th November 2012 at 00:14.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 00:20   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used hair dryer for the footrest. It flexes superbly. Being thick, it does not tear unlike black vinyl. For the keyfob, I dismantled the panels first. We can use hair dryer but being a small part, efficiency is low. I just placed an old cloth on an iron box with moderate heat. First applied the sheet onto tge flat portion and pasted it securely. Then started pressing the keyfob panels edge by edge onto the heated cloth which will safely heat up the vinyl without sticking to the heated surface. Then just pull it and fit it along the edge. After sometime, ensure it stays there. Cut off the excess. The glue quality is good. It did not leave residue when I remlved it even though it was pasted with heat.
When working with vinyl, make sure you have an extra sharp cutter, one that can cut many pages together with the lightest force. And also, cut only along the edge else you will damage the panel underneath.

Guess Riju is more interested now, but even I have my exams approaching next month.
I am not too confident on opening the i20 key fob. It will a tricky job I guess but as you mentioned heating the vinyl mostly makes the job a lot more easier.
Old 28th November 2012, 04:02   #98
BHPian

Wow amazing work people have done here !!

I am craving to get CF vinly done on my laptop now. Only problem being i have no clue as to how to do this.

However it would look pretty cool though. Anyone tried it on their laptop??
Old 28th November 2012, 06:17   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic

I am craving to get CF vinly done on my laptop now. Only problem being i have no clue as to how to do this.

Do check out videos in you tube there are loads of them. Yes it can be done.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 09:31   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

Its quite simple and easy on a laptop:
  • Get the sheet, and cut it such that it is at least two inches longer and broader than the screen.
  • Remove the backing paper entirely, and just place it on the backside of the screen.
  • Cover your hand with a cloth and start pressing the sheet from the center. If you have a thick logo in the center, first press the logo part and continue outwards. As you reach the edges, do not press at the corners. Finish pasting the sheet on the top surface first.
  • Then do the Edges, leaving the corners. The corners should remain unpasted. Now, get a hair dryer and blow air onto the Vinyl that is left in the corners. Do not touch the vinyl.
  • You will notice that the vinyl becomes soft and starts moving on its own .
  • Now, stretch the corner part and drape it around the corner of the surface, just like how you try to wrap a plastic sheet. Do this task slowly, and it might need heating again to get the final fit. Repeat the same for the other edges.
  • Use a sharp cutter and keep the cutter diagonal to the edge of the screen, and slowly slide it along the edges. It will be butter smooth.
If you want to do the same for the region below the keyboard, you better take the exact measurements and cut the sheet before pasting, as it is not a good thing to use a cutter on this surface, as it will damage the touchpad and the fingerprint readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am not too confident on opening the i20 key fob. It will a tricky job I guess but as you mentioned heating the vinyl mostly makes the job a lot more easier.
You can do it without removing, but it will need a lot of sculpting. You cant just 'wrap' the sheet. You wil lhave to push it into edges and grooves. Moreover, I did not want to harm the neighboring panels, so just one screw got the whole thing apart.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 10:31   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Its quite simple and easy on a laptop:
Thanks a ton

I will definitely give it a try and will post pics soon. Probably within a week .
Old 28th November 2012, 11:18   #102
BHPian

Here's my take of the same
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-photo.jpg  

speed kills is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 14:18   #103
BHPian

Is the 3D vinyl sheet available in Pune? The people at 3M quoted around Rs. 350 per sq.ft which i think is real expensive, i need around 20 sq.ft. I am not worried about the glue residual because i want to some of the unpainted parts.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:05   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Go on a drive to sticker shops. I bet you can find it. Nothing exclusive to specific shops. Only thing is that, the place where I brought it, the width of the roll was two feet. So if you want greater dimensions, it will be a bit difficult as sticker shops will keep two feet rolls usually. You can enquire in the sticker shop itself where you could get bigger sizes, probably they might arrange it for you.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th November 2012 at 17:13.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:07   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Here's my take of the same
Is this from 3M or you also got the stickers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks