Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 17:10   #106
BHPian

Re: PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is this from 3M or you also got the stickers?
These are pre-cut stickers.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Just got hold of the CF vinyl. Need a hair dryer now.
It cost me 125 per sq ft.
Old 28th November 2012, 20:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Here's my take of the same
Please tell me how did you go about the curves while wrapping up the keys?
Old 28th November 2012, 21:03   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

Please tell me how did you go about the curves while wrapping up the keys?
Pancham, I used a hair dryer at the corners, works like a charm. The wrap expands on being heated & then used my finger to move it into position
Old 28th November 2012, 21:13   #110
Senior - BHPian

I just finished with my key fob. Since I don't have a hair dryer at the moment I tried it without heat. The corners have become a bit clumsy. I have one question. I will be doing the b pillars of my i20. Since its mostly straight will it be ok if I don't use a heater. I watched a video in YouTube where they did it without any heater. Will it be ok?

Adding the video

Last edited by Pancham : 28th November 2012 at 21:39.
Old 28th November 2012, 21:57   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

For the pillars, hair dryer is not required. It is quite flat enough to take the vinyl without fuss. Tomorrow I will finish an exam and will post a DIY for the key remote.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 21:59   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Pancham, I used a hair dryer at the corners, works like a charm. The wrap expands on being heated & then used my finger to move it into position
I tried my hands for the first time. Not perfect but I intend to keep it like this for the time being since I do not want waste any more material as I will be doing the B-Pillar.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc03934.jpg  

Old 28th November 2012, 23:43   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Good job. But with a hairdryer, it will be even better. Also, for the area around the logo, press into the border of the logo with your finger nail to get the overlay and then cut. Also, use a very sharp blade for a uniform cut.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:44   #114
Senior - BHPian

Just did my B-pillars. Things to note for all newbies like me:

1) CF vinyl can look real classy even if an average job is done. The vinyl itself is so brilliant that even a mediocre job can be passed on as a professional

2) BUT at the same time a good look can determine how tacky it was.

3) Be careful with the knives while cutting out the excess parts. Scissors are a lot easier to use compared to knives but we can only use knives here.

4) The edges are very tricky. Do be careful.

5) Cut out well in excess.

6) Do not forget to tuck the Vinyl inside the rubber beadings.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 08:30   #115
Senior - BHPian

This is what I managed. I needed a squegee. Since I did not have one so used something similar to credit cards. DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS though as you may break them. I bundled 2 membership cards and tucked the vinyl inside the rubber beadings.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc03935.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc03937.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc03938.jpg  

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc03939.jpg  

Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 10:47   #116
Senior - BHPian

Nice work Pancham, you are going full steam with CF conversion. I am also planning on the B pillars but I will need to remove the factory installed black vinyl first. How much sheet was required for the job, did not do the Window borders?
Old 29th November 2012, 12:43   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Is the 3D vinyl sheet available in Pune? The people at 3M quoted around Rs. 350 per sq.ft which i think is real expensive, i need around 20 sq.ft. I am not worried about the glue residual because i want to some of the unpainted parts.
I recently got my wife's Swift's roof CF vinyled.
This was done by Bhandari Auto on JM Road. If that isnt in your vicinity, they also have another shop on the bypass (under the Baner flyover) called Carax. Check wih them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
This is what I managed. I needed a squegee. Since I did not have one so used something similar to credit cards.
Looks sweet!
Why not blacken the roof too? Shall look pretty neat, IMO.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:46   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
This was done by Bhandari Auto on JM Road. If that isnt in your vicinity, they also have another shop on the bypass (under the Baner flyover) called Carax.
Thank you for the information, Bhandari Auto is vvery much in the vicinity, can you please let me know the price per sq.ft.
Old 29th November 2012, 13:24   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
This was done by Bhandari Auto on JM Road. If that isnt in your vicinity, they also have another shop on the bypass (under the Baner flyover) called Carax. Check wih them.
Can you post a pic of the roof ? Was this the 3d textured vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Thank you for the information, Bhandari Auto is vvery much in the vicinity, can you please let me know the price per sq.ft.
Guys why not get it from ebay? I found this to be reasonably priced than what Pancham got.

@Pancham, does the glue damage the paint in anyway? im thinking of adding to my cars ORVMs for a fresh new look Can you tell me how much sqft of this I need to order for covering the mirrors, and the B pillars?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 29th November 2012 at 13:26.
Old 29th November 2012, 13:30   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY Instructions + pics + Video

DIY Instructions + pics + Video:

Here is for all who are interested in the DIY:

What you will be needing:
  • Vinyl(obviously :P)
  • A sharp cutter
  • Hot air gun(Substitute: Hair Dryer)
  • Cleaning solution
  • Squeege(optional)\
  • Cloth

Here is how to cover a Remote of the Central locking system:

Precautions: Keep hands and surroundings oil free(water is fine, not oil or grease). Also degrease the object by using a suitable cleaning agent.

1. We first cut a suitable portion of the vinyl.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07266.jpg

2. Just place the sheet on the object.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07271.jpg

3. Press the grooves first. Here, I pushed the oval part inside. Press it well so that the glue sticks and wont come out when you stretch the vinyl.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07272.jpg

4. Apply heat to the entire vinyl. It will slowly start taking its own shape. When it does, it is an indication that the vinyl has reached its stretchable stage. It wont remain in this state for long, so you may need to heat it again and again.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07280.jpg

5. Start flattening it till the edges and pull it down the edges.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07281.jpg

6. Here comes the logo. For smaller edges and grooves, use the edge of fingernails to give it the same lines. This will be easier if it is heated.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07285.jpg

7. Use the same method to find out where the buttons are exactly located. Push the film into the narrow gap to create a guide for the blade. Then cut the vinyl covering the buttons.
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07288.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07290.jpg

8. Examine the edges. If you find any wrinkles, pul that portion apart, heat it and again stick it. Cut off the excess portion from the edges and we have the end product:
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07291.jpg

Here is the video of the same procedure, on the second remote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Guys why not get it from ebay? I found this to be reasonably priced than what Pancham got.

@Pancham, does the glue damage the paint in anyway? im thinking of adding to my cars ORVMs for a fresh new look Can you tell me how much sqft of this I need to order for covering the mirrors, and the B pillars?
I got it for a much lesser price, of Rs. 50/sft. Be careful on repainted panels. However, on stock paint, as long as you do not rip it off violently, the paint wont come off. Heat it a bit and it will come out easily. For the ORVMS, the above quantity would be plenty(one sft for each mirror). For the B Pillars, you will need a length of 2ft and a breadth of around 1.5 feet for a liberal application. If you cut it out exactly then it is possible in 2X1ft. If you dont have painted ORVMS, you need to degrease it very intensively, else it wont stick to plastic parts which have got oil on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
This is what I managed. I needed a squegee. Since I did not have one so used something similar to credit cards. DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS though as you may break them. I bundled 2 membership cards and tucked the vinyl inside the rubber beadings.
Cover your hands in a cotton cloth and rub it down to stick the paper. Good enough. Credit card is good for flat vinyl. In this case, it will also cause some damage to the weave pattern.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th November 2012 at 13:41.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks