Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 21:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Painting the numberplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Please PM me the address and related cost you had to pay too
Boss, it will be good for you if you are mumbai based and deliveries are made in mumbai city only.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2021 at 18:38. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 8th December 2011, 23:29   #17
BHPian

Iqbal Veerji
Hi
I am bombay(mahim) based and may like to change.
Could you please give the telephone number and the cost?
Thanks and regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 10:18   #18
BHPian

Iqbal sir, it would be nice if you can post the contact and price in the thread so that others from mumbai can also benefit and know about the indicative costs involved.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends, it would be nice if those who are interested in getting the numberplates send a PM to Iqbal ji, as he has advised. We must understand posting someone's telephone or other contact details on a public forum may not always be wise.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 23:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I visited a local hardware store and procured white and black oil paint (50gm Rs. 20/- each) and a couple of brushes (I think size 6 and 8, with short length of hair).

I then repainted the entire surface around the lettering with the white paint, making sure to coat the rusted spots over and over three to four times. Then with a smaller brush I started working on the lettering, again coating the rusted surface three to four times, trying to reproduce the original lettering as neatly as possible.

Finally the work was done, after about two hours in all. Money spent was under Rs. 100, satisfaction immense!

For anyone else who is inclined to take up a similar DIY, I would like to point out a flaw which I realized after I finished half the work:

Use a masking tape (the black insulation tape would do too) to cover the lettering completely, so the remaining plate can be painted white without any hindrance, with a larger brush, even strokes and the entire finish would be much better.

Then removing the masking tape, you can paint the lettering.

The results of this DIY are nowhere compared to a professional quality numberplate, however the job can be easily done without any specialized knowledge or tools, can be done anytime (very important if you have to do it overnight) and provides a lot of satisfaction (the essence of any DIY).
I have a bunch of questions about this.

1. When using oil paint, did the painted surface turn out having a uniform finish? Or is a spray paint required? I'm assuming plain white and plain black paint would suffice?
2. The letters painted on my number plate have a slight curve at their tips, so the cop said it has to be a straight font. May I know which font has to be used? The guy at a shop said it's Arial font. But the wikipedia page says Latin letters. I'm considering creating a stencil using KG cardboard or plastic, but to design the stencil on the computer, I need to select the right font. Anyone knows which font?
3. Even if I use a stencil, would using a regular paint brush give a good finish when painting the letters, or would a spray paint or a paint roller be necessary?
4. I'd prefer to get it done professionally, but in Bangalore, the shops seem to be insisting on using only the IND plates. If anyone knows where I can get the number plates re-painted with legally compliant fonts, please help. Alternatively, if anyone knows if reflective number plates are indeed mandatory, please provide some info.
Old 29th December 2021, 12:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavBHP View Post
I have a bunch of questions about this.

No idea about the font, best check with an RTO office or agent.

Brush can give you acceptable finish and is the least expensive method.

Roller will probably be too much for a number plate.

Spray gun will probably give a better finish but unless you own one (and the pneumatic ones that pros use, not the electric one), it won't be cost effective as a DIY.

Electric spray gun, if you have it, would take too much time (prep and cleaning) compared to a brush paint.

Best I would suggest try the brush, and if the finish isn't upto your liking, you can always repaint.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 21:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
No idea about the font, best check with an RTO office or agent. Brush can give you acceptable finish and is the least expensive method.
Roller will probably be too much for a number plate.
Spray gun will probably give a better finish but unless you own one (and the pneumatic ones that pros use, not the electric one), it won't be cost effective as a DIY.
Electric spray gun, if you have it, would take too much time (prep and cleaning) compared to a brush paint.
Best I would suggest try the brush, and if the finish isn't upto your liking, you can always repaint.
About the font, Wikipedia mentions "all plates are required to be in modern Hindu-Arabic numerals with Latin letters". I was just going to buy some paint, but according to this post (RC / Fitness Renewal of a bike in under 2 hours without a broker), it looks like there's no point trying to get it painted. The officials seem to be insisting on the HSRP-style license plates.
NavBHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks