Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 15:29   #1
BHPian

Options other than sunfilms?

Guys, any suggestions on alternatives other than sunfilms that I can use on the car windows to stop the heat from directly burning skin.

Since I frequent my hometown often where the roads are in the worst shape one can imagine, and to add to that low-lit streets at night, I'm unable to install sunfilms as I feel it's unsafe for me. One may argue that there are lighter shades out there, but I prefer to keep away.

Are there any pull shades available that I can roll up or down on need basis? If so, where can I get them around Bangalore? I better do this soon before I'm by MY most accompanying co-driver.. You know what I mean! :-)

Last edited by mempheS.D : 12th December 2011 at 15:30. Reason: grammatical
Old 12th December 2011, 15:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Options other than sunfilms?

First option is install V-kool light shade (not sure abt the model). This cuts down the heat to a greater level by being there as if its not there.

Second option is use a cloth (curtains) on the windows .
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 15:42   #3
BHPian

haha, I knew that curtain/cloth idea was going to come in bcos I didn't leave my question closed-ended.. But, the V-KOOL LIGHT SHADE is not something I knew about. Gotta check that.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried those sticky nets (Square/Rectangle in shape) with vacuum sticky's behind which can be stuck on the glass from inside and can be taken out whenever not needed. I used to use them for a long long time before putting in light shade sun film. They are cheap (<INR 300) as well so might as well give it a try.
Old 12th December 2011, 16:22   #5
BHPian

If price is not an issue, then install V-kool VK70 all round, absolutely minimal(often non-cognizable) compromise on visibility. However, be ready to shell out upwards of 20k for all glass areas.
or
A generous coat of sunscreen lotion from a reputed brand on your skin will help reduce the irritation to some extent.
Old 12th December 2011, 19:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Guys, any suggestions on alternatives other than sunfilms that I can use on the car windows to stop the heat from directly burning skin.

Since I frequent my hometown often where the roads are in the worst shape one can imagine, and to add to that low-lit streets at night, I'm unable to install sunfilms as I feel it's unsafe for me. One may argue that there are lighter shades out there, but I prefer to keep away.

Are there any pull shades available that I can roll up or down on need basis? If so, where can I get them around Bangalore?
I don't know what sunfilms you have used till now. But if you get 50% films from a reputed brand like 3M, Vkool, or Llumar you will not be able to make out from the inside that there are films present. Yet it will cut out the heat (not as much as slightly darker films) and make it much more comfortable. Take my word for it, that with 50% film you will be totally comfortable with the visibility from inside. I'm comfortable with even 35% films and with those it is slightly darker from inside. Its only when you go to 20% and below films that it can be difficult seeing in the dark.
Old 12th December 2011, 21:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't know what sunfilms you have used till now. But if you get 50% films from a reputed brand like 3M, Vkool, or Llumar you will not be able to make out from the inside that there are films present. Yet it will cut out the heat (not as much as slightly darker films) and make it much more comfortable. Take my word for it, that with 50% film you will be totally comfortable with the visibility from inside. I'm comfortable with even 35% films and with those it is slightly darker from inside. Its only when you go to 20% and below films that it can be difficult seeing in the dark.
Oh! I didn't know that. Maybe I should give it a try. Thanks akshay1234. Maybe something like, trying it on one window.. Take a trial, and then do the rest.
Old 12th December 2011, 22:09   #8
BHPian

Option 1 (Cheaper):
Try Garware Ice Cool Shield (meant for front windscreen) available in greenish & greyish tint. Will cost between 7K to 11K depending on whether you choose to fix all around or only rear & sides. (I suggest to do all around because major cabin heating is from front windscreen)
Option 2 (cheapest):
SAFETY 1ST FLEXIBLE FRAME SUNSCREEN SUNSHADE BABY CAR SEAT NEW | eBay

Folding 3Pcs Car WINDOW Spring UV Sunscreen/Mesh Shade | eBay
Old 12th December 2011, 23:18   #9
BHPian

I believe, sunfilms will be the most practical option. Any other paraphernalia would be a hassle to put/stick when required and remove when not required.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:34   #10
BHPian

You can try HuperOptik sun films. They provide better heat rejection with less visibility loss. HuperoptiK comes with ceramic series with 10 year warranty! Its cost effective when compared to VKool! Klar 70 on front windshield and Ceramic 50 sides and rear will give you proper shield.

See Padmininano Products for details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks