Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2006, 13:52   #1
BHPian

Tyre Query (from tubetype to tubeless)

Hi guys,
I own a Palio 1.2 nv sports which runs on stock profile tyres. The car has clocked around 32K kms, now the problem is two of my stock tyres (tubetype) are somewhat bad in condition but other 2 tyres are extremely OK.

This time , i would like to go for tubeless tyres coz of its known benefits, now I am in dilemna that whether i should throw away my two good tyres away & go for all in all new setup OR can I have a mix of two types of tyres i.e 2 tubeless & 2 tubetypes. Your thoughts on this...

If I go for a full setup change, is changing profile from 175/65 (R14) to 185/65 (R14)a good idea??

Suggestions are welcome...

Cheers
Old 14th March 2006, 14:52   #2
BHPian

dont mix & match

You know what happens when you mix drinks !!

On a more serious note, I think you should change all tyres whenever you change. otherwise it will affect the dynamics of the car. I don't consider it safe to change a few tyres. Its possibly ok for an old ambassador taxi to do that in good old days but not today with decent speeds.
Old 14th March 2006, 15:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowthisguy
now the problem is two of my stock tyres (tubetype) are somewhat bad in condition but other 2 tyres are extremely OK.
this shows that you never "rotated" your car's tyres.
rotation is a must to extract most out of tyres.
the spare tyre is also used in this rotation process.

this ensures that no one tyre gets abnormally high tread wear and some other tyre remains quite in a good state, as happened with you. and i am sure your spare tyre would be brand new!

now my suggestion to you is replace 2 worn out tyres with same brand, size, tread pattern and then start using all 5 tyres in a rotational basis. start with using new tyres in front and then start rotation after every 4-5K kms.
this shall give you the optimum mileage from each tyre and it won't pinch you too much (money-matters!)

i hope it helps.
Old 14th March 2006, 16:17   #4
BHPian

revhard,
Exactly! my spare is new, as its not an alloy wheel, so was rarely used. But as regards rotation I usually asked service people to do it on each service but now it seems that they have goofed up....

anyways what do you reckon...should I give away those 2 good tyres & have a new setup OR run them for another 5-10K kms coz thsi time I really want to have tubeless tyres

subbarp...I agree cocktails can give a serious hangover..hehehe
Old 16th March 2006, 10:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowthisguy
revhard,
Exactly! my spare is new, as its not an alloy wheel, so was rarely used. But as regards rotation I usually asked service people to do it on each service but now it seems that they have goofed up....

anyways what do you reckon...should I give away those 2 good tyres & have a new setup OR run them for another 5-10K kms coz thsi time I really want to have tubeless tyres
first of all you should have replaced alloys on all wheels. leaving the spare wheel to steel rim creates this problem what you are facing.

- my first suggestion to you is that go for 2 (two) same brand, size and tread pattern tyres and throw away those worn out tyres. and use these new tyres in front for sometime and the old ones at the back, keeping spare as it is for some time.
after every 2.5-3K kms or so, start rotating all 5 (five) of your tyres including that spare wheel.
this is a short procedure with money saving, to follow as you quickly want to go for tubeless!

- my second suggestion is to throw those 2 worn out tyres. and purchase 3 (three) new tyres of same brand, size, tread. and then add your spare wheel as the fourth tyre and start driving on all four new tyres and keep the "best-among-worn-tyres" as your spare one.
now with this setup, you'll have to spent a bit more but you'll get most out of all your tyres.
and start rotating them every 4-5K kms.

- third suggestion, last but most effective suggestion is throw each and every tyre at a tyre-puncture shop. this shop will give you upto 400 rupees for your new tyre and 100 or so rupees for wornout tyres!
and then purchase all 5 tubeless tyres with alloys on all rims, including the spare one!
this costs much more than what should be the practical way for such an adventure, but to get that feeling of driving on your favourite tubeless tyres you'll have to shell out some extra.

hope this helps too.
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:08   #6
BHPian

iknowthisguy,

did you tried any of my suggestions?
or did you found them useless?

post something man.
you just vanished into thin air!
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:45   #7
BHPian

Rev...I opted for IIIrd sugggestion of yours
looked more reliable..though i shelled out more money but gave me peace of mind
I gave away my all old tyres which fetched me 1500 Rs & bought GoodYear 185/64 R14 tubeless

Thanks Rev...for inspiring me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks