Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2012, 19:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Swift VDi Remapped

Hello Satya, what you have done is so drool-worthy. I am no techy, but I could get the gist of the mods you have done and I guess after 3 years and 22k on the odo, my '09 swift will get a new lease of life (and an excited me) once I get this done! Noted and will get all this done once I am back in India. I don't want to part with her now, not yet. Two questions though, 1) will the MASS upgrade the master cylinder if I point it to them? 2) what better brand of brake pads do you recommend?

Cherio
Champion
Old 14th January 2012, 20:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion
Hello Satya, what you have done is so drool-worthy. I am no techy, but I could get the gist of the mods you have done and I guess after 3 years and 22k on the odo, my '09 swift will get a new lease of life (and an excited me) once I get this done! Noted and will get all this done once I am back in India. I don't want to part with her now, not yet. Two questions though, 1) will the MASS upgrade the master cylinder if I point it to them? 2) what better brand of brake pads do you recommend?

Cherio
Champion
Hey Champ!
Yes after 78000kms i have the new-car feel all over again..
About the brake upgrade, give me time till thursday, i will keep you updated about what i get to know of. As of now, i think i might just get better brake pads. Thats it!
Seems like the wisest choice.
Suggestions welcome.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:24   #48
BHPian

Good News for Bangalore Guys!

I had a word with Sarvesh Shah and yes! he does travel to Bangalore and he can remap i20 CRDi and Punto as well for Rs16000. He said he will mail the details on both in a while.

I would be sharing the same

Cheers!
Asif
Old 17th January 2012, 16:36   #49
BHPian

Wow Satya, This is interesting, I will be in Pune from 25th. if you are okay would like to test drive your car
Old 17th January 2012, 18:33   #50
BHPian

Sure sameerpb, we can meet and u can drive the car..
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 18:40   #51
BHPian

i have a punto which has done about 6k ,if i do go in for a remap will it be detected by the company scanners ?

..if no then i dont mind getting my 90 remapped

Regards
Abhishek
Old 17th January 2012, 19:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr
i have a punto which has done about 6k ,if i do go in for a remap will it be detected by the company scanners ?

..if no then i dont mind getting my 90 remapped

Regards
Abhishek
The remap cannot be detected by a scanner.. Call Sarvesh Shah directly for information.
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 19:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
The remap cannot be detected by a scanner...
Remapping can easily be detected by a factory ECU scanner (if the ASC's were trying to find it).

Method-1: Most ECU's has flash counters but in some old ECU's the flash count could be reset/maintained while remapping as a basic protection against detection...

Method-2: A remapped ECU flash dump will give out a totally different checksum than original...EXPOSED!

Method-3: A drive around with the factory ECU scanner connected vividly throws open the increased fueling....EXPOSED! (I did this recently on my remapped vehicle to ascertain some values).

In newer cars, there is an obvious risk of remaps getting overwritten by improved standard/factor maps. The ASC's do it without your knowledge as per updates received from the factory. You can always go back to the tuner and get it remapped again!

A professionally done remap will improve your vehicle drastically but a poorly done remap will screw your engine pretty soon.
For vehicles which are under warranty, tread with caution and at your own risk. I recently had a chat with a Factory Engineer who has come to the ASC to troubleshoot some corner case issue and understood that they are well trained to detect remaps when it comes to honoring expensive warranty claims.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 17th January 2012 at 20:16.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire

Remapping can easily be detected by a factory ECU scanner (if the ASC's were trying to find it).

Method-1: Most ECU's has flash counters but in some old ECU's the flash count could be reset/maintained while remapping as a basic protection against detection...

Method-2: A remapped ECU flash dump will give out a totally different checksum than original...EXPOSED!

Method-3: A drive around with the factory ECU scanner connected vividly throws open the increased fueling....EXPOSED! (I did this recently on my remapped vehicle to ascertain some values).

In newer cars, there is an obvious risk of remaps getting overwritten by improved standard/factor maps. The ASC's do it without your knowledge as per updates received from the factory. You can always go back to the tuner and get it remapped again!

A professionally done remap will improve your vehicle drastically but a poorly done remap will screw your engine pretty soon.
For vehicles which are under warranty, tread with caution and at your own risk. I recently had a chat with a Factory Engineer who has come to the ASC to troubleshoot some corner case issue and understood that they are well trained to detect remaps when it comes to honoring expensive warranty claims.
OMG, are you suggesting tuning boxes are the safest bet. ? My swift D is just nearing 20 K in 2 yrs. Still 2 years to go for the extended warranty to expire.
Thanks a ton for your valuable inputs.

Last edited by F150 : 17th January 2012 at 20:53.
Old 17th January 2012, 21:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
OMG, are you suggesting tuning boxes are the safest bet. ?
Tuning Boxes can also be detected (even if removed before service) from the parameter violation registers in the ECU.

It is purely bad marketing which is commonly used in the tuning world that Tuning boxes and Remaps are INVISIBLE.

Yeah...these may not be easily detectable in a routine scan and in many cases, the technician may not be knowledgeable enough, but when it comes to big ticket engine warranty claims, auto manufacturers are getting increasingly stringent and rightly so.

IIRC, auto manufacturers are trying to pass a law which makes remapping and aftermarket HID conversions illegal in Europe.

EDIT:
Quote:
There are to be some changes to the MOT test from 1st January 2012 which are being introduced in response to European Commission Directive 2010/48/EU of the 5th July 2010 and which will effect those with aftermarket HID headlights and remapped ECUs:

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements:
(a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements
(b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour
(c) Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory):
(a) Device not operating.
(b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory):
Device not operating.

For anyone with a remap, section 6.1.9 may be relevant.

6.1.9 Engine performance:
(a) Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.

(by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

There will also be a new check on the general condition of the wiring:

4.11. Electrical wiring
(a) Wiring insecure or not adequately secured.
(b) Wiring deteriorated.
(c) Damaged or deteriorated insulation

and on the function of airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner systems:

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners:
Pre-tensioner obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

7.1.5. Airbag:
(a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.
(b) Airbag obviously non-operative.

7.1.6. SRS Systems:
SRS MIL indicates any kind of failure of the system

Source

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th January 2012 at 02:01. Reason: added source url, thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 23:00   #56
BHPian

Yes.. Totally agree.. If there is an expensive warranty issue, and if the ecu is totally checked, the remap can be detected..
Old 18th January 2012, 10:58   #57
BHPian

Remaps anyway were illegal since a long time. Thats why the market for fake MOT's is huge in european countries. No remapped car can pass MOT.
In case of a warranty case, even modifications like upsizing rim size, ICE upgrades etc can create problems. Likewise, remapping is also reversible if the need arises.

Also, as we speak, my car is getting the new uprated master cylinder (Booster). the service center guys will test the braking themselves and if it works better, i will keep it.
Also, getting new Bosch brake pads with some recommendations. So, by tomorrow evening i should have a car that stops better than what it does now.

will keep you guys posted wrt costs involved, process and improvement (if it works well)
Old 18th January 2012, 11:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Remaps anyway were illegal since a long time. Thats why the market for fake MOT's is huge in european countries. No remapped car can pass MOT.
In case of a warranty case, even modifications like upsizing rim size, ICE upgrades etc can create problems. Likewise, remapping is also reversible if the need arises.
Was this the tuner's response? Just joking since it sounded like one.

Remapping is indeed reversible; but still detectable (even after reversal in most new ECU's).

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 18th January 2012 at 11:34.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:00   #59
BHPian

Cosworth can't do my corolla. I was really hoping to give my car a nice boost in power that I ve been missing since my emanage conked off.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211
Cosworth can't do my corolla. I was really hoping to give my car a nice boost in power that I ve been missing since my emanage conked off.
Yes just now spoke with sarvesh, they don't have remaps for vehicles purchased in the second half of 2011. They need manufacture date to determine the same, also depends the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks