Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 11:59   #31
BHPian

Re: From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation

Too good man !!! some time if you have time i would like to talk to you abt the lighting for my Zen i stay in Nandi garden area where i spotted your car once and when ever you drop close by we can catch up PM your contact number will keep in touch.

Between where were the slim balast units placed for the fog lamps?
Old 18th January 2012, 15:17   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky

Sure it is a screw and not a press fit with a lock which is seen in most vehicles? Either way, a shot of WD40 and light tapping with a nylon hammer will ease out the muck which jams it. Enjoy your DIY and just remember to take snaps of work in progress.
Yes its a screw . Two plastic screws. Will try lubrication and remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem

Did you remove the screw and tug at the wheel arch cover or the bumper? You're supposed to pull out the bumper. The wheel cover wont give.

A relay is required. 8 watts is the nominal difference. But at startup the ballast will draw close to 20A for a fraction of a second. This will then settle to <5A. The initial draw is not long enough to blow the headlamp fuse, but over time may fatigue the system. You may also notice funny behavior in other electronic components in your car which may be sensitive to power fluctuations. For example, your audio system may restart when you turn the HID on.

I am unable to remove the screws yet. They are very tight and applying pressure down up on the screw sitting down is a pain.

I had not thought of the relay . Which is the specification of the relay you used? Was it also a DIY?
Old 18th January 2012, 19:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
So the first question was why you used the pictures on the vendors site rather than your own. You said you'd say why later
Lol.. I did explain the reason at the end of the first post. Its because the shipped item turned out to be exactly what I received! This is a big deal because more often than not, the original item is a far cry from the pictures posted.

Quote:
I checked the Scorpio's manual and it says it uses 35 W BAS15D bulbs in the front fog lamps. Is this a standard? Or is there an international specification I need to use while searching? Hoping to buy from the same vendor, I just searched for BAS15D in ebay and there were no results.
I think you're referring to BA15D. BAS15D is usually found in dual filament brake lamps. AFAIK you cannot get a direct HID replacement in this base. You will have to modify the stock base. If I make a wild guess, I think you were looking at the rear fog lamp specs. Check again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan25 View Post
Too good man !!! some time if you have time i would like to talk to you abt the lighting for my Zen i stay in Nandi garden area where i spotted your car once and when ever you drop close by we can catch up PM your contact number will keep in touch.
Between where were the slim balast units placed for the fog lamps?
Sure thing Chethan. We'll catch up one of the weekends. I'll PM you my number.

There are several nooks and crannies behind the bumper where the ballast will fit since they're quite small. I used zip ties to secure them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes its a screw . Two plastic screws. Will try lubrication and remove

I am unable to remove the screws yet. They are very tight and applying pressure down up on the screw sitting down is a pain.

I had not thought of the relay . Which is the specification of the relay you used? Was it also a DIY?
Did you turn the wheel to the lock before trying? It was difficult for me to get to the screw till I turned the wheel. Also, get a good quality set of T handle screw drivers. Very useful in such situations. Be careful not to stripe the screws.

Last edited by Tassem : 18th January 2012 at 19:17.
Old 18th January 2012, 19:32   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem

Did you turn the wheel to the lock before trying? It was difficult for me to get to the screw till I turned the wheel. Also, get a good quality set of T handle screw drivers. Very useful in such situations. Be careful not to stripe the screws.
The screws are under the bumper . So the wheel position does not make any difference. Once these screws are out only then I can put the wheel guard out.

And can you give the specification of the relay you used and the cost? And where you got it installed?
Old 18th January 2012, 19:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

You do get similar HID kits from P8 in India costing around 7K.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
You actually need a rachet driven tool kit to work in these tight spaces. Get a similar set available locally. They are a life saver for DIY work.
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-rachet-drive-tools.jpg

Else jack up the car and remove the front wheels. Rest the car on a pair jack stands - another life and back saver.
Old 18th January 2012, 23:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
The screws are under the bumper . So the wheel position does not make any difference. Once these screws are out only then I can put the wheel guard out.

And can you give the specification of the relay you used and the cost? And where you got it installed?
I was referring to the verna. I assumed you had a verna as well The reason I said you have to turn the wheel is because there is one screw right where the bumper joins the fender and it cannot be reached easily without turning the wheel.

Also you don't need to pull the wheel guard out. The wheel guard stays in place. Its the bumper that needs to be pulled out from one end to reach the fog lamps.

The relay is have is rated for 30A and is manufactured by Roots. Costs Rs.160 I guess. Its meant for high wattage headlamps. I did the installation myself.

Last edited by Tassem : 18th January 2012 at 23:09.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

I think you're referring to BA15D. BAS15D is usually found in dual filament brake lamps. AFAIK you cannot get a direct HID replacement in this base. You will have to modify the stock base. If I make a wild guess, I think you were looking at the rear fog lamp specs. Check again.
Believe it or not, the manual says all the following lights are BAS15D, the wattage is different.
  • Rear turn signal lights
  • Reverse lights
  • Rear Fog light
  • Front Fog light
Except for the front fog lights which are 35 W, the remaining are all 21 W. I've taken a picture of this page on the manual. But I'm unable to connect my S2 with the laptop... (ok by now you would have realized how tech challenged i am via bluetooth or usb!

So could this be an error in the manual? I'm going to try an remove the lights and take some pictures over the weekend. Let's hope I don't break anything!
Old 19th January 2012, 14:53   #39
BHPian

Ah.. finally got the picture.

[scorpio light specs.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-scorpio-light-specs.jpg  

Old 21st January 2012, 17:10   #40
BHPian

I managed to remove the bulb and lo and behold it had "philips H8" written behind it! I'm not sure why M&M has those funny specifications in the manual. I have written to the same dealer, lets see what he replies. He's off for the Chinese new year. Do you think I can source a regular 35W H8 HID set from him? I think I'll just install the 4300K bulb. I've identified this on his site - Xenon HID Headlight Kit Slim Ballast H8 4300K 35W 12V | eBay. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind? He also has a 55W set of the same... overkill? :evil gleam)

In the meanwhile, how do I find the exact length of a H8 HID bulb? There is approximately an inch in space between the tip of the halogen bulb and the front glass of the fog lamp holder. I'm wondering if the HID bulb will fit correctly without fouling. Since the OE bulbs are 35W, I'm guessing I wont need a relay right?

I had one more question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Last but not the least, the included mounts:
Attachment 870392
What were these mounts used for?

Now I better get busy clicking some 'before' pictures of the various lights

Last edited by triedeverything : 21st January 2012 at 17:18.
Old 26th January 2012, 13:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything
I managed to remove the bulb and lo and behold it had "philips H8" written behind it! I'm not sure why M&M has those funny specifications in the manual. I have written to the same dealer, lets see what he replies. He's off for the Chinese new year. Do you think I can source a regular 35W H8 HID set from him? I think I'll just install the 4300K bulb. I've identified this on his site - Xenon HID Headlight Kit Slim Ballast H8 4300K 35W 12V | eBay. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind? He also has a 55W set of the same... overkill? :evil gleam)

In the meanwhile, how do I find the exact length of a H8 HID bulb? There is approximately an inch in space between the tip of the halogen bulb and the front glass of the fog lamp holder. I'm wondering if the HID bulb will fit correctly without fouling. Since the OE bulbs are 35W, I'm guessing I wont need a relay right?

I had one more question.

What were these mounts used for?

Now I better get busy clicking some 'before' pictures of the various lights

The seller is whatever de right? I have placed the order for h27 hid kit. Got the same response that they are on holiday till February 9. Hope I get my kit soon
Old 1st February 2012, 13:08   #42
BHPian

Yup. Taseem explained that they may be based out of Honk Kong using Google translate to help them understand the request. If they can't understand it, they apologize and tell you to search elsewhere! So you've got to do your research and then make the correct order. No scope for error. If there are any errors, you've got no one to blame but yourself.

On another note, I wonder how they manage such low shipping rates. 3$!
I was looking at getting Roolites or Lightforce auxiliary lamps and they charge as much as 99 $ for shipping. Of course the package is big and of course you'll get it in a week's time ... but given that there are people who can wait for a month or two, there should have been cheaper shipping. But believe it or not, even in spite of the shipping, its still cheaper to buy it online. Its at least 7k cheaper than buying it from the authorized dealers!
Old 1st February 2012, 13:32   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Taseem explained that they may be based out of Honk Kong using Google translate to help them understand the request. If they can't understand it, they apologize and tell you to search elsewhere! So you've got to do your research and then make the correct order. No scope for error. If there are any errors, you've got no one to blame but yourself.
What do you mean by correct order? I didnt understand it. I think Taseem also got the kit from the same seller,ie,whatever-de right?This is the item i bought

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 1st February 2012, 14:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by correct order?
Yup, same vendor. What I meant by correct order is the specifications. Make sure you get it right. In my case, the owners manual has some weird spec (obviously an error). So I had to remove the bulb and check. Also, like Taseem said, HID bulbs are slightly longer than their halogen counterparts. There is no way to confirm the exact size from this vendor. I went round in circles trying to get him to understand this and reply. And finally, I just ordered it after talking to Taseem who was a bigger help.
Old 1st February 2012, 14:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, same vendor. What I meant by correct order is the specifications. Make sure you get it right. In my case, the owners manual has some weird spec (obviously an error). So I had to remove the bulb and check. Also, like Taseem said, HID bulbs are slightly longer than their halogen counterparts. There is no way to confirm the exact size from this vendor. I went round in circles trying to get him to understand this and reply. And finally, I just ordered it after talking to Taseem who was a bigger help.
Did you also get the same message saying the shipping of products start from Feb 11 and they are on Chinese new year and blah blah blah.....?

Most Viewed