Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 01:46   #1
BHPian

From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation

Before we start, I need to make it clear that all the pics you see below are taken from the Vendor website. Normally I put up my own pics. But this time around, I chose to do this due to a very good reason. More on that later.

Now moving on. I was on the lookout for an HID upgrade for the pathetic excuse of a fog lamp that comes installed in the 2011 Verna. Internationally H27 (881) bulbs are primarily used for aesthetic purposes. They can be used quite successfully as DRLs but that’s pretty much it. As a light source at night, they fail. As fog lamps or driving lamps, they fail miserably.

So it was decided that better lighting is needed. I had a wide array of options to choose from. Especially if I inclined towards Aux lamps. But adding additional lamps wont do any justice to the fluidic design. At least I thought so. Hence my focus shifted to HID lamps. Having used HID in my previous cars, I knew exactly what I wanted and where to look for it.

What I wanted was an HID Kit with 881 type 35W bulbs and a Slim Digital Ballast. A Relay harness is also preferred since the original lamps consume only 27W. I decided I will go with 6000K since Bangalore sees little to no fog. I was also inclined to order an extra set of bulbs in 4300K should the need arise.

Now starts the search. If you’re not aware 881/H27 type bulbs are next to impossible to source in India. Everybody suggests modifying the socket so that a different bulb can be fitted. I did not even bother asking for details because I knew there is no way in hell somebody can do a perfect job of that. It’s almost always guaranteed that the beam pattern will be messed up and I did not want that. Remember, I wanted this upgrade. I did not need it. So there is no reason to settle for less. I had time. Maybe not the patience, but I had time.

So the search began online. I have a PayPal account and have made tons of online purchases. So it was not an altogether alien experience. I decided to scour eBay first and hundreds of vendors popped up with several options. I shortlisted a few who had exactly what I was looking for. They were then filtered by feedback and survey count. That left me with two, maybe three vendors. Two were based in the US and one in China. I sent out an email to all of them detailing my needs. I had decided that the first one to reply will get my business.

Surprisingly, the most detailed reply came from the Chinese vendor. As with all Chinese, this person was extremely polite and helpful. The US guy simply replied that the details are mentioned in the ad. Well I’m glad he pointed that out. Anyways, sarcasm aside, I decided I’ll give China a shot. Moreover the price was 1/3 of what was mentioned at the US vendor for what looked like the same product. So I placed my order and chose Standard International Shipping for $2.99 extra. The other options were Economy Shipping (Free) and Expedited Shipping ($24.99)

The seller asked me to expect the product in 20-30 days. I placed the order on 16th December. So Christmas was just around the corner and so was new year. So realistically I was looking at 30-45 days. There was added pressure because PayPal lets you dispute a transaction if its done within 45 days of purchase. I could wait a couple of weeks till New Year’s and then place the order. But that’s not how we do it now is it? There are some things we do, because we have to do it. Not because it makes sense!

Anyways the order was placed and the wait began. One the second day, I receive an email from the vendor telling me that the product has been shipped. In a few hours he sends me another email with a tracking number and a website where to track it. I was pleasantly surprised for two reasons. 1- This is good customer service. 2- Tracking on cheap shipping? This is great! So I start regularly checking the website for updates and sure enough every now and then it shows me where my package was. I expected things to go well till it entered India and then was prepared for the worst run around of my life. This opinion was to change very soon.

On 23rd December, the update showed that the package had left Beijing for India. Surprisingly, while browsing the India Post website, I chanced upon an International Post tracking portal. And it worked! It actually worked. A link on a govt. page worked! I was on cloud nine. I now knew that I stand a good chance of getting my package from China. The update showed the same Beijing-India status. The next few days tried their best to last more than 24 hours. At least it felt so.

By now it was around 15 days and I decided that I need to start preparing for the Indian side of formalities. I know many of you who has ordered online would have experienced customs hassles, postal delays etc. So I started tracking down phone numbers, addresses etc. so that once the package lands in India, I don’t have to worry and would know exactly what to do. Once done, I went back to the tracking portal and was surprised to see an update which said the package was now in Kolkata! I was ecstatic!

From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-tracking.jpg

I immediately phoned up Speed Post and before I carry on, I must say that I was shocked at the service. No, not at how bad it was; But at how good they were! The person was so helpful. He could not trace the package, but he explained to me how it works and what I needed to do. He even gave me a direct number for Kolkata Post. I called them up and could not believe it when the person was polite and very helpful. He tried to find the package, could not and was genuinely sorry about it!! He explained that it may be at customs and I should give them a call. He looked up their number and helped me with it.

By now I had stopped worrying. I do not know who these people were. But they restored my faith in our postal system. I expected people who have no respect for customers, are curt and impatient. But I actually find people who are eager to help and sounded genuinely caring! I decided I will wait it out. The package reached Kolkata. A few more days and it should be in Bangalore. Then I may get a letter from customs. Lets just wait.

7th January 2012. I was driving back from a resort in Kanakpura when my brother calls me. He tells me he’s signed for a package that came for me. I calmly ask him to open it and see what it was. And the rest gentlemen, is history!! No letter, No Tax, No Hassle!

Take a look at the pics first. I have posted these from the website simply because you get exactly what you see in the pics. Its not often that online purchases look exactly as described. But this time, it did!

Here's the kit:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-kit.jpg

The Bulb:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-bulb.jpg

The Slim Ballast:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-ballast.jpg

I must mention that the build quality is simply awesome. It feels solid and sturdy. This is something I have to repeat about the connectors you see below as well. Everything reeks of quality!

The Ballast Power Connector end:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-ballast-connectors.jpg

Connectors for the lamps and power:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-connectors-1.jpg

From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-connectors-2.jpg

From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-connectors-3.jpg

Last but not the least, the included mounts:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-mounts.jpg

And now, for the links.

This is where I bought this from:

55W HID KIT, 35W items in factorykiss-usa-alpha store on eBay!

This is link to India Post to track the item:

IPS Web Tracking/Item Tracking

Phone Numbers:

Speedpost Bangalore: 080 22861435
Speedpost Kolkata: 033 22120476

Next Post: Installation and working pics.

Spoiler: The light output is incredible, beam pattern has barely changed. But it’s almost as if there's a second set of low beams. Plus the lateral view is so much better now. Especially while turning, we can see what's around the corner. If I leave the beam on high, the fogs cover the low! I'm in love! The icing on the cake is that there is absolutely no glare.

Oh yeah, it cost me Rs.2400 delivered!

Last edited by Tassem : 12th January 2012 at 01:52.
Tassem is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 02:15   #2
BHPian

I am extremely happy that your online overseas purchase went so well.

By the way friend, Can you please guide me towards getting some modifications done on my ford figo to improve its light intensity.

In your case, you wanted it. In my Figo, i need it :(

Do guide me
Old 12th January 2012, 12:30   #3
BHPian

Re: From China, With Love - Fluidic Verna HID Installation

@Tassem
Well detailed post buddy.
Have you taken some installation and before/after snaps?
It would be great if you could share these!
Old 12th January 2012, 13:41   #4
BHPian

Just what I was looking for!
The fog lamps on my SX4 are quite the joke too.
Would be great if you could share the before and after light output pictures!
Old 12th January 2012, 13:42   #5
BHPian

Tasseem ,its a great feeling to see you happy on our postal/customs depts.
Many thanks for sharing.
Couple of doubts.
1) did you install without projectors ?
2) 2400 landing price is cheap i guess .is it true?
Old 12th January 2012, 18:01   #6
BHPian

For the installation, I didn't bother with any pics since it was a fairly straightforward affair. All I had to do was remove one screw from each side under the front bumper which lets me separate it from the guard underneath it. This gives me access to the fog lamp assembly. I got the installation done at Evo assuming it to be a complicated process. But then it turned out very simple. Once I got home, I took it all apart and mounted it more securely.

All we need to do is find a good mounting point for the Ballast and swap out the bulbs. I used zip ties to secure the ballast and cables behind the bumper and away from the elements.

I have ordered 4300K bulbs. Once they get here, I'll click installation snaps.

Now for the beam shots. Excuse the poor quality. I'll put up better pics later this weekend.

This is the beam pattern. You will notice that the right beam is lower than the left. This is to avoid any possible glare to oncoming traffic. I checked and double checked cause I do not want to be pulled over by cops or give a headache to fellow drivers. The brightness has overloaded the camera sensor in this pic. This is 95% similar to the original beam pattern but about 10 times brighter! Unfortunately I haven't clicked a pic of the halogen fog lamp beam pattern. If a fellow Verna owner could put one up, I'd be much obliged.

From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-beam-pattern.jpg

There is a stretch of pitch black road right after Begur which I drive through on my way to the apartment. These were clicked there.

Here's with just the Osram NBP low beams:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-outside-low.jpg

Now the HID:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-outside-hid.jpg

HID and Low:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-outside-hid-low.jpg
You can see that its looks almost 5000K with excellent coverage. The sides are not as dark as they look here. The peripheral area coverage is simply superb. Once I put up better pics, you will be able to judge better.

HID and High:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-outside-hid-high.jpg
Its clear from this pic that when the High beam is turned on, The HIDs provide coverage similar to the Low beams. So in effect its like having High and Low on at the same time.

The following shots were taken after I reached my apartment.

Osram NBP Low Beam:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-1-low.jpg

Osram NBP High Beam:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-1-high.jpg

HID:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-1-hid.jpg

HID and Low:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-1-hid-low.jpg

HID and High:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-1-hid-high.jpg

Osram NBP Low Beam:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-2-low.jpg

Osram NBP High Beam:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-2-high.jpg

HID and Low:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-2-hid-low.jpg

HID and High:
From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-parking-2-hid-high.jpg

I hope these give you a good idea. I will try and click a snap to show the lack of glare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
I am extremely happy that your online overseas purchase went so well.

By the way friend, Can you please guide me towards getting some modifications done on my ford figo to improve its light intensity.

In your case, you wanted it. In my Figo, i need it :(

Do guide me
Well, Have you tried Nightbreaker Plus lamps from Osram? They make a difference. The other option is to upgrade to a 100W system which would require a relay harness and cutting a hole in the Grommet (Dust Cover) behind the headlamp assembly. This may lead to dust/moisture entering the assembly at a later point. But there are hundreds of people out there who're happy with this setup.

Second Option is upgrading the fog lamps to HID like I did. But I don't know if the results will be similar in your reflector. What bulb type does the figo fogs use?

Third and easiest option is Auxiliary lighting. But depending on you, its going to be a love hate situation with the looks.

Last option is to upgrade the Headlamps to HID. But only if you can find a suitable projector setup. This is an expensive route to take and may not really yield the results you look for. Retrofits and getting common these days. But unless you do your research, its not suggested. I will be retrofitting a projector very soon. Will put up a post once done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
@Tassem
Well detailed post buddy.
Have you taken some installation and before/after snaps?
It would be great if you could share these!
Hey thanks! Installation pics nope. Beam shots above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
Just what I was looking for!
The fog lamps on my SX4 are quite the joke too.
Would be great if you could share the before and after light output pictures!
Done! Sorry don't have before shots. I hope another verna owner puts one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Tasseem ,its a great feeling to see you happy on our postal/customs depts.
Many thanks for sharing.
Couple of doubts.
1) did you install without projectors ?
2) 2400 landing price is cheap i guess .is it true?
No projectors used. 2400 is landing price. I know its unbelievable! lol.

Last edited by Tassem : 12th January 2012 at 18:04.
Tassem is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 18:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The other option is to upgrade to a 100W system which would require a relay harness and cutting a hole in the Grommet (Dust Cover) behind the headlamp assembly. This may lead to dust/moisture entering the assembly at a later point. But there are hundreds of people out there who're happy with this setup
I did that and ended up frying my reflector and later the bulb got shorted. :(
Now I'm back to basic with a hole in plastic dust cover and need to replace both HL's
Old 12th January 2012, 21:24   #8
BHPian

Excellent Thread Tassem! Another helpful on after the Xenos Reverse camera. Thanks a lot for all the Info.
Any plans for upgrading the headlights to HID's?

PS- Now I know whom to ask when I need some advice on HID's. I hope you don't mind!
Old 12th January 2012, 22:14   #9
BHPian

Here's a pic that explains why its important not to mess up the bulb seating. One of the main reasons I was adamant about finding the right type of bulb instead of modifying a different lamp.

From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-incorrect-mount.jpg

From China, With Love - Fluidic Hyundai Verna HID Installation-incorrect-mount-2.jpg

Picture Courtesy: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...-2010-a-62637/

All the light is concentrated just below the bumper. I've seen several cars exhibit this after HID installation in fogs. Not only is the light wasted, but having a really bright foreground will affect your night visibility a lot and do more damage than good when it comes to visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I did that and ended up frying my reflector and later the bulb got shorted. :(
Now I'm back to basic with a hole in plastic dust cover and need to replace both HL's
Since your reflector is already fried, give a call to Ganesh @ 09488030384. He's based in Salem and does some really good projector retrofits. You can send him your existing headlamps and he will do the conversion.

IIRC it will cost you 7-9k all inclusive for the Projector Retrofit and HID Kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Excellent Thread Tassem! Another helpful on after the Xenos Reverse camera. Thanks a lot for all the Info.
Any plans for upgrading the headlights to HID's?

PS- Now I know whom to ask when I need some advice on HID's. I hope you don't mind!
My pleasure Dekay. If you notice, I only put up stuff which is difficult to find. I searched online for HID in fog lamp pics and could not find any useful ones. Hence this. There's no point in redundant posts. Main reason why you wont find a Verna Review from me. Its been done before and done well. So no point in doing it again.

Headlights I have plans for retrofitting projectors. Currently researching on it. Its mind boggling how many options are out there. In the meanwhile, I'm also open to buying off the shelf solutions if they're launched. Lets see.

Ask me anything, anytime. I'll help however I can.

Last edited by Tassem : 12th January 2012 at 22:17.
Tassem is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 22:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
7th January 2012. I was driving back from a resort in Kanakpura when my brother calls me. He tells me he’s signed for a package that came for me. I calmly ask him to open it and see what it was. And the rest gentlemen, is history!! No letter, No Tax, No Hassle!
Didn't they declare it as a 'Toy'? I haven't heard anyone getting a letter from Customs at Bangalore. They choose random packages and open up. While story is different in Kerala. Custom letter and subsequent duty has high probability for a Kerala address.

Quote:
I must mention that the build quality is simply awesome. It feels solid and sturdy. This is something I have to repeat about the connectors you see below as well. Everything reeks of quality!
They are Tyco/AMP Superseal connectors - one of the best all-weather automotive connectors. Superb!

Quote:
Oh yeah, it cost me Rs.2400 delivered!
You got a sweet deal!

Last edited by bejoy : 12th January 2012 at 22:40.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 23:21   #11
BHPian

Sweet.
Will confirm the type of bulb used in my fog lamps and place the order this weekend! Thanks!
ChrisFrancis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 11:31   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed photo's Tassem. I ordered a set of H11 4300K HID's yesterday! I plan to fit them in either the Swift or the SX4 fogs. I have one question on the length of these bulbs. Are they of the same length as the standard halogen bulbs used in the fogs or are they longer?
Old 13th January 2012, 15:42   #13
BHPian

Taseem, you are one of the best DIY'ers. First the DIY on the bumper and now the HID DIY.

I fell you made a really good decision by ordering these from Ebay . One of the best markets for After-market Acessories is right there. I m going right ahead to order 6000K bulbs for my HID kit which currently has 8000K bulbs.
No one would beleive that you got the whole thing done for just 2400 bucks.
Great job. Congrats.
rajanprash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 16:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Thanks for the detailed photo's Tassem. I ordered a set of H11 4300K HID's yesterday!
Hey mtnrajdeep!
Are you sure the bulbs are H11's? I just called up the service station, and they told me that the bulbs are H8's!
Old 13th January 2012, 16:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
Hey mtnrajdeep!
Are you sure the bulbs are H11's? I just called up the service station, and they told me that the bulbs are H8's!
I saw this in the owners manual at SX4 Owners Manual

Can you check the owner's manual? I do not have access to it at the moment!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks