Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 16:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim

Is it a add on cover or a full custom work?
As you plan to keep this car for some more years, get the door pads also done matching with the new seats you have. Any upholstery guy would be able to do a good job at a budget cost.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th February 2012 at 16:57.
Old 7th February 2012, 17:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Is it a add on cover or a full custom work?
As you plan to keep this car for some more years, get the door pads also done matching with the new seats you have. Any upholstery guy would be able to do a good job at a budget cost.
Full custom work. Removed all previous covers (there were about 3 add-on layers before ).

Sure, will be looking for someone who does upholstery work.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Full custom work. Removed all previous covers (there were about 3 add-on layers before ).

Sure, will be looking for someone who does upholstery work.

Fantastic job with the seat. Your door pads too look like new, did you get them new ? What were the costs for the seats and the pads ?
Old 19th February 2012, 09:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Fantastic job with the seat. Your door pads too look like new, did you get them new ? What were the costs for the seats and the pads ?
Seats around 6k. Still some more work is pending for pads.

Checked with RNS, Yeshwantpur, Bangalore, they are quoting ~5500/- for single door!!
Old 20th February 2012, 15:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Checked with RNS, Yeshwantpur, Bangalore, they are quoting ~5500/- for single door!!
That is just to scare you away. I am sure they cannot procure it even for 10k.
Old 20th February 2012, 23:38   #21
BHPian

Hey Bro, nice work there. I read in the previous posts that Pramod suggested to contact me for the door pads and the dash for type 3. I have replaced the dash and door panels of my type 1 esteem to type 3. I paid appx 8K for everything plus the power windows separate. I have put back the type 1 interiors back along with the manual windows. Sold off the type 3 sets for appx 6K.
yogisays0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 00:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That is just to scare you away. I am sure they cannot procure it even for 10k.
They are asking for 15 days to get the parts. I have not confirmed with them. I am trying to see if I can get in any place for better deal.
Someone suggested me to try Shivajinagar market, Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Hey Bro, nice work there. I read in the previous posts that Pramod suggested to contact me for the door pads and the dash for type 3. I have replaced the dash and door panels of my type 1 esteem to type 3. I paid appx 8K for everything plus the power windows separate. I have put back the type 1 interiors back along with the manual windows. Sold off the type 3 sets for appx 6K.
Thanks yogisays0909. If you still have any contacts in Mumbai (Bangalore would be even more better) who sells/does Esteem part, can you provide me with their details? I am not in a hurry, but need to get this fixed asap.

There are few other things I want to get replaced. Hence I am looking for lesser price, at the same time not much compromising on quality.

Yeah, I cannot get very good quality products at steal-away price. If I can get, would consider myself lucky
Old 21st February 2012, 10:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

You could try Karlson Leathers in Indiranagar, i got my manza door pads done in black leather and the job was pretty good. You can check with them if they can do up the door trims in your car. I had got the 4 door pads for 4k bucks last year.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:11   #24
BHPian

AFAIK, type II and III Esteems do not have the AC vents on the front door trim.
All you need, is to get hold of a good upholstery guy and get the pads refurbished, if those fragile clips and stuff inside are in good condition. If not, they will rattle away to hell, though you can screw them into place.
Plan a trip to the infamous Shivajinagar gujri, you may find some good ones there.

Last edited by jeeva : 21st February 2012 at 11:13.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 16:25   #25
BHPian

Dude. You can find each n every part in mumbai cst road. Just for example i had lost one of the dash speakercover, found it at cst road!!!!!
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
You could try Karlson Leathers in Indiranagar, i got my manza door pads done in black leather and the job was pretty good. You can check with them if they can do up the door trims in your car. I had got the 4 door pads for 4k bucks last year.
Talked to Karlson couple of weeks back, they promised to get back to me with details. Never heard back. When talking to them, felt that they are not interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
AFAIK, type II and III Esteems do not have the AC vents on the front door trim.
All you need, is to get hold of a good upholstery guy and get the pads refurbished, if those fragile clips and stuff inside are in good condition. If not, they will rattle away to hell, though you can screw them into place.
Plan a trip to the infamous Shivajinagar gujri, you may find some good ones there.
Sure, will try Shivajinagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Dude. You can find each n every part in mumbai cst road. Just for example i had lost one of the dash speakercover, found it at cst road!!!!!
Thanks yogisays0909. Will plan during one of my trips to Mumbai.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:17   #27
BHPian

By the way i have seen here in couple of old esteems and M800s, custom made door trims are being made by the seat wala's. its made of thin metal sheet and covered with good quality cover and then laminated to avoid wearout. looks too good, probably after the rains even i am planning to go for it. They are charging appx 3K for this.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

I had my door trim replaced at a car upholstery shop. cost me 600/door.
I was initially planning to get some MB Tex ish material, but was talked out it by the guy because he said it would not stick as well. The material he recommended was the old school stuff - all velvety. Didnt want it on my car. Finally found something at the godown of the upholstery material shop that was more like the OEM fabric, and had three layers (a base, then some foam, and then the cloth)

it was cut to shape, then rubber adhesive applied to where my old pads used to be , then stuck, and the edges tucked in using the round edge of a hacksaw while applying some extra glue to the edges to make sure they stick

The process for those of you who are curious and wouldn't mind DIYing ( I probably would the next time if i had to !)
Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-img_20120417_131156.jpg

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-img_20120417_131205.jpg

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-img_20120417_131212.jpg

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-img_20120417_131540.jpg

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-img_20120417_131230.jpg

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th April 2012 at 21:32.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:31   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ greenhorn, 600/door sounds a bit steep!.

It should probably cost just half of it. Did you shop around?
Old 17th April 2012, 21:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
^^ greenhorn, 600/door sounds a bit steep!.

It should probably cost just half of it. Did you shop around?
yes, and I got pretty much the same rate. I had first asked a rather large ICE shop and they quoted 2500 for the whole thing and wanted me to leave the car there for 3 days (!)

Then I went to another part of town where there all all these large rexine/upholstery material dealers, and one of them pointed me to this small shop which offered a quote of 600 per door and said they would do it in 3 hours. I got them to do some floor matting and cut some rubber carpets as floormats (the same stuff jkdas uses in his truck) - very soft on the feet, and do a great job of damping too.

Anyway, the rest of the quotes they gave me seemed reasonable, time was an important factor, and I was running out of places to look, so i got it done there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks