Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 18:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lowered the steering wheel tilt of my Maruti A-Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Though its a great DIY exercise, is it a good practice to mend the factory settings? What if the steering fails to collapse in the event of an head on collision? Other than cosmetic modifications, doing any other component modification by yourself is inviting trouble on a long run (unless you are an expert and have the right tools and understand the mechanical tolerances). This is my view
Collapsing is done by the collapsible steering column. Doesnt matter if the steering column is moved at the base by a few MMs down. There are factory tilt steerings that can be moved up or down and the movement is controllable by a lever which will lock it at a position. In my car there is no lever, but the steering column is tiltable, there is a pivoting mechanism which allows for this movement if it had a lever. Btw, export versions of my car have tilt-adjustable steering.

This is not a cosmetic modification but a functional one, this is as important as having adjustable seats. I don't foresee any trouble wrt the steering system other than its normal wear and tear. There is universal joint an it allows for smooth rotations and the angle is not that acute to cause binding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks