Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2006, 06:38   #1
BANNED

Buy Seat Covers OR Do Upholstery ?

In the good olden days when Ambis and Fiats ruled the scene everyone dreamed to spruce up their cars with bucket seats, upholstery works etc...

But the times have changed and these days I rarely see cars with upholstery works done. Nowadays the mods in the case of seats are limited to some luxury seat covers or leather seats.

So what would you prefer to slick up your seats; buy some costly seat covers or do some fine quality upholstery work from a car upholstery shop ?

And would you do upholstery work to the top inner surface of your car like we've always done in the case of Ambis ?
Old 24th March 2006, 06:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Seat covers suck! They eventually become loose over time and dont fit well enough which ends up in a shabby look.
Old 24th March 2006, 09:23   #3
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Upholstery work, look good on ambi's,if done on some modern cars it looks wierd.
Old 24th March 2006, 10:14   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I've got bucket seats done up in leather lol looks tight , original and s3xed out!
Old 24th March 2006, 10:20   #5
BHPian

complete upholstery looks much better but since it is quite a costly affair, people opts for the luxurious seat covers.
Old 24th March 2006, 11:37   #6
BHPian

You get some really good seat covers like GSport(art-leather,fabric), Stanley(Genuine leather) today and they don't become loose with time. I had Stanley leather covers for my Zen and it lasted me 6 years. The friend whom I sold the car to still hasn't got them changed.

Coming back to the point, I would decide based on how new the car is and the current condition of the cushion. If it is an old car and the cushion is in bad shape, go in for upholstery. Since you are in Cochin and closer to Coimbatore(forgive my knowledge of geography if the distance is too much), Khoya Seats, Coimbatore does an excellent job. I have never been there myself but have seen some very good work done by them. Also heard that there is a waiting period before they can start work on your car.
Old 25th March 2006, 20:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
In the good olden days when Ambis and Fiats ruled the scene everyone dreamed to spruce up their cars with bucket seats, upholstery works etc...

But the times have changed and these days I rarely see cars with upholstery works done. Nowadays the mods in the case of seats are limited to some luxury seat covers or leather seats.

So what would you prefer to slick up your seats; buy some costly seat covers or do some fine quality upholstery work from a car upholstery shop ?

And would you do upholstery work to the top inner surface of your car like we've always done in the case of Ambis ?
Ambis, Fiat earlier almost every one used to get upholstry done.
Seat covers are useless, they spoil everything and dont serve anypurpose.
Leather seat covers from stanley/ovion and get it fitted by removing the original seatcover and get them stiched is ok to brighten up the interiors.

I would love to see if any one has got the upholstry done in any of modern era cars like we used to see them in the ambis and fiats. guys please do post the pics if you have got it done
Old 15th April 2006, 18:36   #8
BANNED

Is it possible to modify the rear seats of M800/Omni so as to add some headrests type of cushioning as seen in luxury cars ?

And how much will be the total cost ?
Old 4th May 2006, 12:54   #9
BANNED

I'm planning to spruce up the seats of my Omni. So Which is the better option Seat Covers OR Upholstery ? My budget is 3K.

I'm more inclined towards doing the Upholstery work. In the case of Upholstery which material should I go for ?

And which type of seat covers should I go for if I want to use it for all the seasons ?

And also is it possible to modify the rear seats of M800/Omni so as to add some headrests type of cushioning as seen in luxury cars ?

So what will be the total cost for this seat mod ?
Old 4th May 2006, 14:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Is it possible to modify the rear seats of M800/Omni so as to add some headrests type of cushioning as seen in luxury cars ?

And how much will be the total cost ?
If you are going for an upholstry work then the read head rests can be done at minimal or no extra cost.. all it takes is fitting a headrest shaped sponge. I got it done on my M800 a few years back in a local upholstery shop in kothamangalam...its still stays..no problems...I had done the whole seat upholstry then..dont exactly remember the cost.
Old 4th May 2006, 20:56   #11

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
I've got bucket seats done up in leather lol looks tight , original and s3xed out!
ya right and im sylvester stallone

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks