Team-BHP - Can i install ABS for my Ikon 1.6 nxt ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Can i install ABS for my Ikon 1.6 nxt ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/11685-can-i-install-abs-my-ikon-1-6-nxt.html)

Hi All,

Can i install ABS for my Ikon 1.6 nxt?

Rajs

Why would you want to do that. Drive more carefully instead.

On the other hand, if you are researching the question, then I think it is not impossible. The Fusion+ has it for a long time. But the costs may be a bit too much.

Quote:

Why would you want to do that. Drive more carefully instead
agree:

There are several threads discussed on ABS. It is most suited to icy/sleepary condition. You can pretty much drive without them :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak
agree:

There are several threads discussed on ABS. It is most suited to icy/sleepary condition. You can pretty much drive without them :)

I beg to differ. ABS will be useful in most cases since it prevents wheel locks and allows you to steer while braking heavily. Now coming to retrofiting ABS on non-ABS car, I am no expert in this area, but from whatever I have read so far, it is quite difficult/not-practical to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak
agree:

Are you sure you have not got that wrong? I suspect its the other way round for ABS. They are NOT SUITED for icy conditions.

Btw, retrofitment of ABS or for that matter any other feature that requires that requires tampering with the ECU and/or other on-board computers is not practical to say the least. Its not just a plain mechanical device.

Instructions to control the mechanical safety features ABS and EBD are things that come embedded in the ECU of the newer cars that have it.....so its imperative that the IKON's ECU has some instructions embedded about ABS OR EBD which sorry to say doesnt have any such features cos its basic design is about 6 years old(not sure how many precisely) but im sure they dint have such things on their mind in the starved of features market(they had to compete with an esteem and a cielo at that time.........what do u expect ppl???)
so its safe to wrap up the matter here that ABS cannot be implemented on the Ikon 1.6 nxt(i know the 1.6 makes u really feel like getting em ABS stoppers cos its tooooooooo beauuuuuuuutiful an engine just to keep revving away with every signal!)
lets see........speak to some reputed garage they might hook u up with some major mod like an ECU from a second hand imported old fiesta using the same engine and then source ABS kits for the car....difficult man!(the fiesta = ikon in lots of markets, its only in india that they sell two sister models at the same time a la maruti)
tell me about any developements!!!!!
ciaos!

keep revving!

A simple answer is "NO" chipping ford EEC V ECM is not easy & putting ABS in Ikon is good idea but not possible , but you can go in for better brake pads atleast.

If the exprts say it isnt viable to get the ABS on to Ikon, my suggestion would be to go for better rubber and bigger discs...Can try discs for rear too...if it doesnt have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf
If the exprts say it isnt viable to get the ABS on to Ikon, my suggestion would be to go for better rubber and bigger discs...Can try discs for rear too...if it doesnt have.

Isn't fitting rear discs equally difficult?

I had an Ikon too and I agree... the brakes on that car are horrible, especially considering that the torquey engine and the nice chassis/suspension beg you to push the car. But because of the difficulties it would probably be easier to buy a new car than try and install ABS.

Better yet you can practice Cadence Braking in your spare time and you'll never need ABS again. (of course it has to be second nature so that even in an emergency you do it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_braking

no. one should not go for such complex systems in after market parts.
it should be company fitted only.

it is bette to understand the working of ABS and try to emulate that in your braking style.

ABS pumps the brakes at a rate of about 22 times per second and thus doesnot allows the wheels to get locked.
you can also try braking while PUMPING the brake pedal again and again and again.
but first practice it in deserted area/road, and then bring it in your daily driving use.

and, once again, NEVER EVER go for such after market fitments.

Aftermarket ABS systems are difficult and near impossible to do unless ur ready to spend a lotta money. Getting better tyres shuld be the better option.

Isn't it difficult cuz connection the handbrake to the rear wheels with ABS is a bit of a job?

I agree.. Ikons OEM brakes are aweful.. i have cursed the ford guys a lot of times when i needed to stop quick..Instead of going in for an ABS which i think is not so useful for Indian conditions.. goin in for bigger dia slotted discs on the front wheel and good brake pads.. This would improve braking enormously.. i have been thinking of doing this for my ikon for a long time...

Yes my DEAY !!ABSOLUTELY without any doubt can u install an ABS on ur FORD Ikon 1.6 NXT

Cause Ikon was indeed being sold in some other form both in the American and European markets as well. Infact it was one of first medium sized pick-ups that were tried with by ford and GM.
Unlike some stated the entire ECU re-mapping is ABSOLUTELY not required to install a standard ABS kit.
Consider the principle and u hav the answer...all u hav to do is make an effort to find out the more suitable brake caliper assembly one that fits the ikon and come to pune.
and i will also post the name of the Ikon that was designed for farm use in my next reply cause i'm not able to recall the name of the ikon i saw a long time back on Top Gear Auto show...
THere are other mods if ur interested as well
just take a peak and get the motor running

Quote:

Originally Posted by amarbest
Yes my DEAY !!ABSOLUTELY without any doubt can u install an ABS on ur FORD Ikon 1.6 NXT

Cause Ikon was indeed being sold in some other form both in the American and European markets as well.

Are you sure about that? Ikons were sold in Brazil (no longer), South Africa (no longer, they now have a look-alike pickup called Bantam even that doesn't have ABS) and are still being sold in Mexico (but NO ABS available).

Please let us know the source of your information, I'm sure a lot of us Ikon owners would be interested (of course, if it was feasible).

Cheers!