Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 16:36   #1
WMS
BHPian

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley

Bought a Jeep trolley, 1962 by Mahindra. Basic use will be used for my club activities as in camping and carrying stuff for events. I somehow got an idea as the canopy was there to modify it a bit to utilise as a camper trailer. The tow vehicle is a mpfi gypsy.

1. I plan to put a spare wheel on the rear end and will move the brake lights where the tub flares.

2. will move the tool box on the tow bar maybe to the side and put a bolt on tray on the tow bar with fitting on the tub body for gas cylinder and fuel jerry can.

3. on one of the sides will make battery stand which will be charged by the higher rating alternator which be put in as advised by the electrical guy. battery preferably will be a one used with inverters.

4. Lids will be put in two parts with angle frames and square pipes inspired by Vaibhav's gypsy with lights underneath them. Lids will have aluminium sheet as top. The strength will be good enough for 2-3 people to sleep or put in some xtra stuff.

5. The canopy which is a bolt on will be converted into something like jeep hood inspired by a 550, with folding side panels on all four side with mosquito mesh. The hood will have a light and a fan plan to source it from bus guys. The hood will double up as tent. of course the hood will be water proof.

6. under the tub will be fitted a Gypsy fuel tank to carry extra water. which will be fitted in wit a electronic pump (idea from Harjeev)

Please do advise if i am missing on anything and colour.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00677.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00678.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00679.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-copy-dsc00677.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00680.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00681.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00682.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00683.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00685.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00686.jpg  

Old 7th March 2012, 17:18   #2
WMS
BHPian

Re: Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley

some more pictures of the trolley
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00686.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00687.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00690.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00691.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00692.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00693.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00694.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00695.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00696.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00697.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00699.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00701.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00702.jpg  

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-dsc00706.jpg  

Old 8th March 2012, 17:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Trammway's gotten a Trailer for this Mahindra Classic. More details in this thread.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 18:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Check this thread out as well : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...away-home.html

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 10:21   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I have a lovely two man camper trailer for a Jeep. Simple design but ideal for a Jeep based trailer. Will take some pictures of it and post. It needs to be restored as it's a vintage trailer and the side curtains are in tatters.

The Australians seem to have some great Jeep trailer options, do check it out
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 19:40   #6
WMS
BHPian

These are great threads had gone through them when i was looking for a trailer. Thanks for responses. Still searching answers for power required a fan and how will i suffice that. I plan to use a 2 12v fans which are used in buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I have a lovely two man camper trailer for a Jeep. Simple design but ideal for a Jeep based trailer. Will take some pictures of it and post. It needs to be restored as it's a vintage trailer and the side curtains are in tatters.

The Australians seem to have some great Jeep trailer options, do check it out

Sir, I am eagerly waiting for the pics of the trailer

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2012 at 23:05. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can also look for the roof mounted tents for a more spacious accomodation.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:21   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMS View Post
Sir, I am eagerly waiting for the pics of the trailer
Here you go

Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-063-800x449.jpg

Now basically the top lid is hinged at the front and you can lift it from the rear to a 45 degree angle and hold it with a stay. Then you drop the curtains on either side and rear and you have a nice two man tent.

You can improvise a lot fitting a gas stove in a tray underneath with a small lpg cylinder, place to store clothes etc, provided you seal it properly. On the inside all you need is a mattress. The width can be made to allow to adults two sleep comfortably but its a tight spot.

Hopefully someday soon I'll restore this. I also need to complete my other truck camper which need finishing on the interiors

Last edited by DKG : 13th March 2012 at 10:22.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Hope you complete it soon and put-up a detailed writeup on makeover.
Old 13th March 2012, 22:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

@DKG: can we have some pictures with the lid open, please?
Old 15th March 2012, 11:10   #11
WMS
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go

Attachment 902070

Now basically the top lid is hinged at the front and you can lift it from the rear to a 45 degree angle and hold it with a stay. Then you drop the curtains on either side and rear and you have a nice two man tent.

You can improvise a lot fitting a gas stove in a tray underneath with a small lpg cylinder, place to store clothes etc, provided you seal it properly. On the inside all you need is a mattress. The width can be made to allow to adults two sleep comfortably but its a tight spot.

Hopefully someday soon I'll restore this. I also need to complete my other truck camper which need finishing on the interiors
This is really very nice,a one of its kind, Hope you start the restore soon after completing your truck all the best. very eager to see that. I have been thinking of buying a 4X4 truck from Army/Air Force auctioned and and making a camper on it the only worry is registration.

yesterday in discussion with a friend we talked about making the canopy poles folding as in telescopic so when the canopy folds down looks neat and the drag will be not there. and when taken off the trailer takes less space. that would look very similar to this when folded but i would keep the top soft.

The gas tank fitting i plan to do it besides the fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
You can also look for the roof mounted tents for a more spacious accomodation.
Thanks for the suggestion but planning to convert the canopy into a tent itself. Space is not an issue as i do have more tents but yes do plan to put an awning

Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th March 2012 at 11:16. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 11:42   #12
WMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
Hope you complete it soon and put-up a detailed writeup on makeover.
Will definitely do on every step taken, rtnw fixing the tow vehicle, that itself is a project will upload pics in a separate thread and collecting required info and material required. the biggest hurdle
Old 15th March 2012, 15:00   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

the ultimate Offroad campers is by a company called Earthroamer. Check out their website. Instead of a large bulky truck buy a Jeep and do the camper like what they have done on a Wrangler. it's brilliant. Would love to so something like that for my Thar. I would, however, want the complete camper module to be detachable.
Old 15th March 2012, 23:21   #14
WMS
BHPian

Quote:
the ultimate Offroad campers is by a company called Earthroamer. Check out their website. Instead of a large bulky truck buy a Jeep and do the camper like what they have done on a Wrangler. it's brilliant. Would love to so something like that for my Thar. I would, however, want the complete camper module to be detachable.
I would like to build something on this length of the truck is an issue but that tail can be taken care off. Having a twin cabin is very useful as can seat four or you can have bench seat which can sleep one or to hold some stuff.

Jeep would be too small for the use i am planning but Scorpio Getaway can be a nice option.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Trailer on a Jeep Trolley-images.jpg  

Old 16th March 2012, 07:01   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

If you can afford the luxury of having a vehicle made into a RV and kept so permanently then a Force Traveller is the best platform as you don't waste tine and money completing the outer body shell. In my case I wanted something where the vehicle an be used throughout the year for other purposes hence the decision to go for a pickup and make a demountable truck camper.

Why would you prefer the Swaraj Mazda double cab over a Traveller?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks