Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 16:07   #1
BHPian

Project Grande Punto Sporte

The project is a 90 HP sport: now read on……….

The search for the prefect hatchback had come to an end with the launch of the 90HP Punto.
The linear geometric turbo paved way for the variable with the introduction of the 90 HP. I would not be elaborating on the purchase and eagerness to buy as we all have been equally enthusiastic about the Italian beauty. The pros and cons of the vehicle have been discussed innumerable times. Starting on a clean slate I had to stretch my budget for the most expensive punto. Modifying the distinctive clean-cut styling by Giorgetto Giugiaro is unheard of in the Indian arena. The man who was named Car Designer of the Century 1999 and inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 2002 needs no introduction to us. So work had to start to alter changes from the best production Italia design available in India. Modifying the gorgeous Italian design is a herculean task and you could end up being the laughing stock and its easy to get a spot in the weird and whacky mod jobs.
Still efforts rose to take a simple and clean module to develop a 90HP sport that fiat had teased us with.

I started with the interiors. It had to look distinct and afresh. Sparco was the end choice. Went on to change the pedals, gear knobs, floor mats, wipers, seat covers and hand brake cover with sparco progetto corsa.
The dash was further enhanced with mapmyindia S650 GPS which spiced up the orange lit cabin. I did go for a blue lit led light for in cabin lighting. P4 HIDs for better road lighting.
Now the interiors got the sport experience for the visual eye. But I was afraid on the OE music system as our fiat sourced system has got a crappy sound output.
Maximum output from the existing HU was the module for up gradation as I did not want to tamper with the Blue and Me. Was told that once the adapters are available in UK then I might think of Double Din Alpine HU. Focal was my end choice for speakers and I went for the following upgrades with my stock Head unit :

Focal Component Poly glass front
Focal Co Axial Rear
Focal Sub woofer
Focal Amp

The end result is great. A digital signal processor is in the anvil as my quest for the ultimate sound machine does not suffice.
The interiors got pimped up but the exteriors were still a bit tough to finalize
Tire and alloys were already gorgeous and I had to find a better pattern to replace the OE spec.
The most difficult thing was to source a 98 PCD alloys for the beauty and I wanted to go for a 17 incher ala sport. After 6 months of hunting and discussions with various techies in the market I managed to source a BBS inspired design. Tires are Nexen 215/45/17 sport tyres .
The grille has been changed to Chrome mesh(Skoda Milotec design) retaining the OE Red Fiat Logo.
The roof has gone for synthetic vinyl gloss finish. A ham antenna was added and the entire back logos were De-bagged retaining 90Hp logo powder coated in Ferrari red. The fiat OE chrome exhaust tip was added to keep the lines flowing. The Front headlamps, Brake pads, rear disc, front grille, fog lamp enclosure and rear view covers got the hyper silver treatment from the regular matte black. Brembo brake caliper kit coming soon.
Stage 2 engine mods coming after the second service
This is how it has been planned.
Custom codes remap to 110 BHP, Bilstien B14 suspension adjustable with H& R lowering springs, K&N filters and Tarox brakes are in for the second stage of modifications.
A totally new re designed bumper ala Abarth with lip grille is on the anvil as I have increased the clearance after my tire upgrade. So take a look and I’m expecting your comments.

Project Grande Punto Sporte-photo.jpg

Project Grande Punto Sporte-photo2.jpg

Project Grande Punto Sporte-22.jpg

Project Grande Punto Sporte-rscn0273.jpg

Project Grande Punto Sporte-punto-edited-back.jpg

Project Grande Punto Sporte-dscn0204.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2012 at 16:29. Reason: Removing FONT tags from post & changing formatting a little.
Nimish anthony is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 11:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Project Grande Punto Sporte

Congrats thats a neat mod done. Your ride looks awesome. How about adding the graphics from the punto Abarth version? It will further augment the looks of your ride.

Could you also share the cost of these mods?
Old 13th March 2012, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. But, WHY that antenna? Please consider removing it!
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 12:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have you changed the driver seat? If yes then why not the co-driver one?

And please post few more pictures of the car, specially covering the entire side profile.

This is surely one hot Punto in making. All the very best.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 12:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Looks good. But, WHY that antenna? Please consider removing it!
+1 to that.
Rest of the car looks good and that antenna looks totally out of place. Spoils the looks of the car.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:39   #6
BHPian

like everybody here - i don like the antenna. looks like a RC toy now.

but yes, thats a super hot ride - the wheels look fab, but the fiat badge on the wheels is the cherry!

superb car - keep it up!
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 12:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

+1 to all who said the antenna was out of place, looks weird IMO. What value does it add to the otherwise superb mods.

The hatch looks hot in its new avatar. Did you opt for the sporty pedals too or was is OE? Can you disclose the moolah gone into modding the Sporte?
Old 13th March 2012, 12:53   #8
BHPian

Great mod in progress. I have one question, is the tyre inner wall touching the body inside the wheel base, because of 17" wheel? I asked in Fiat workshop if I can put T-jet 16" alloys in Punto and the service guy said the tyre will touch the inner wall. And what about headlight? is there a plan for HID+projector?

And please remove the Antenna.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
Stage 2 engine mods coming after the second service
This is how it has been planned.
Custom codes remap to 110 BHP, Bilstien B14 suspension adjustable with H& R lowering springs, K&N filters and Tarox brakes are in for the second stage of modifications.
Awesome, there's already a 90hp Punto around here in Tvm with most of these except the 110hp remap; it has Blistein suspension, and Tarox brakes & 205tires - have driven it and it was pure thrill.
Old 13th March 2012, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Nimish, the Punto is looking impressive. Loved the cabin colors.
One question: What is the antena attached(in the last pic) to the boot for?
pushkark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 13:26   #11
BHPian

The options for Arbath graphics are on hold as there are a couple of Puntos sporting the same. Looking for a sedate option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congrats thats a neat mod done. Your ride looks awesome. How about adding the graphics from the punto Abarth version? It will further augment the looks of your ride.

Could you also share the cost of these mods?
I have not changed the drivers seats it just the sparco seat covers that i have gone for. Both the front seats have them but it was not on the car when the pic was taken. Shall post some detailed pictures ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Have you changed the driver seat? If yes then why not the co-driver one?

And please post few more pictures of the car, specially covering the entire side profile.

This is surely one hot Punto in making. All the very best.
Comments on the antenna is appreciated and has been removed to keep the subtle module. The pedals, gearknobs, hand brake are not OE and it has been replaced. Total cost as of now is 1.85 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
+1 to all who said the antenna was out of place, looks weird IMO. What value does it add to the otherwise superb mods.

The hatch looks hot in its new avatar. Did you opt for the sporty pedals too or was is OE? Can you disclose the moolah gone into modding the Sporte?
The inner wall does not touch the body and the tyre profile size is 215/45/17 and its doing great. The Fiat guys can only mislead you and they will not allow you to tamper with the OE specifications.
The headlights have P4 HIDs. Projectors will come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Great mod in progress. I have one question, is the tyre inner wall touching the body inside the wheel base, because of 17" wheel? I asked in Fiat workshop if I can put T-jet 16" alloys in Punto and the service guy said the tyre will touch the inner wall. And what about headlight? is there a plan for HID+projector?

And please remove the Antenna.
I presume it belongs to a common friend of mine too which is red in colour. It has got borbett 15 inch alloys 205 Yokohoma S Drives, Turbo timer, petes tuned with Bilstein and Taroxx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Awesome, there's already a 90hp Punto around here in Tvm with most of these except the 110hp remap; it has Blistein suspension, and Tarox brakes & 205tires - have driven it and it was pure thrill.
Its a Ham antenna that i have used. The source below from wikipedia explains it.
Amateur radio (also called ham radio) is the use of designated radio frequency spectrum for purposes of private recreation, non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, and emergency communication. The term "amateur" is used to specify persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest, and to differentiate it from commercial broadcasting, public safety (such as police and fire), or professional two-way radio services (such as maritime, aviation, taxis, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
Nimish, the Punto is looking impressive. Loved the cabin colors.
One question: What is the antena attached(in the last pic) to the boot for?

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2012 at 16:29. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 13th March 2012, 13:55   #12
BHPian

Hi Nimish,

Undoubtedly, that's one of the best Punto mods.
I especially like the fact that you have kept it clean, and yet managed to make an already beautifully designed car even better.
The 17" alloys do look amazing! I'll ask a probably cliched question. How's the ride quality?

The interior also looks pretty good with the SPC accessories. One suggestion. Maybe instead of the Blue LEDs, you can try orange ones that would go with the rest of the instrument lighting.
As far as SPC goes, I can personally vouch for it as I've used a couple of the accessories on my car.

Edit: Can you please elaborate on the purpose of the antenna?

All in all, great work buddy.
Hope to see the Stage II mods soon..

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 13th March 2012 at 13:56.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looking good Nimish. Where did you get the logo powdercoated? Need to do the same for my S10.

Btw, you cant install the B14, and the H&R together. The B14, is a set of dampers and springs, which are height adjustable. These are much better than just lowering springs, which make the ride very very hard.

Also, by Brembo calipers, i hope you mean the real thing and not the crappy calliper covers. Truth be told, just upgrade to Tarox G88 rotors and Hawk pads. This will give you all the braking you need.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:18   #14
BHPian

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Hi Sam,
Well thanks sam for your comments. I indeed didn't want to spoil the asthetics of the orginal design. I just wanted to add frills to pimp up the ride without tampering the hot hatch.
17 inch and ride quality was predicted to be bad before i went for it. But since ive driven a 17 inched Punto in UK i went ahead with it. As of now to date i have not felt any difference in the ride quality but im extra careful about the potholes as it could damage my tyres. The Punto has one of the best suspensions in the premium hatch category, so why worry ????

I m planning for a module lighting for the interior which has colour sequence adjustor in case you have a change of mood based on lighting. Its a suggestion which i will definitely comply.

I have used a Ham antenna and the purpose has been explained in my previous post as if duplicte my answers its going to be boring.

Thanks for your comments and I hope i can move to stage II soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Hi Nimish,

Undoubtedly, that's one of the best Punto mods.
I especially like the fact that you have kept it clean, and yet managed to make an already beautifully designed car even better.
The 17" alloys do look amazing! I'll ask a probably cliched question. How's the ride quality?

The interior also looks pretty good with the SPC accessories. One suggestion. Maybe instead of the Blue LEDs, you can try orange ones that would go with the rest of the instrument lighting.
As far as SPC goes, I can personally vouch for it as I've used a couple of the accessories on my car.

Edit: Can you please elaborate on the purpose of the antenna?

All in all, great work buddy.
Hope to see the Stage II mods soon..

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
I did the logos at my friends garage. HR & B14 dont go i do agree. I meant was HR spacers and B14 suspensions. I think i posted it wrong in my write up.The asthetics get better only if the car is lowered and B14 would suffice my requirments along with the Bilstein experience which i had tasted in my friends car .
I am going for the rotors and hawk pads only...

Do u own the 122 S10 by any chance???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Looking good Nimish. Where did you get the logo powdercoated? Need to do the same for my S10.

Btw, you cant install the B14, and the H&R together. The B14, is a set of dampers and springs, which are height adjustable. These are much better than just lowering springs, which make the ride very very hard.

Also, by Brembo calipers, i hope you mean the real thing and not the crappy calliper covers. Truth be told, just upgrade to Tarox G88 rotors and Hawk pads. This will give you all the braking you need.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2012 at 20:23.
Nimish anthony is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th March 2012, 14:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
I did the logos at my friends garage. HR & B14 dont go i do agree. I meant was HR spacers and B14 suspensions. I think i posted it wrong in my write up.The asthetics get better only if the car is lowered and B14 would suffice my requirments along with the Bilstein experience which i had tasted in my friends car .
I am going for the rotors and hawk pads only...

Do u own the 122 S10 by any chance???

Ah okie, H&R Spacers and B14 will be an awesome combination, and yes, it definitely needs lowering.

My S10's are 280 and 379. Which is 122? the TN reg one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks