Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:21   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India

OT:

Why would some one spend 50-100 k on doing up a lower end car when they could buy a class higher for that money (two classes, if bought used) and actually enjoy the performance that they pretend they have?
I understand personalizing the car. But this goes beyond mere personalizing. I too spend an average of about 1.5 -2 l on upgrades after I buy a car - leather interior, audio upgrades and vee-kool when it was legal, are must haves in all my cars. I used to spend on webasto subroofs too until they became too expensive. So it is not a matter of why are they spending money. I am just asking why spend big money on something that does nothing for the car's performance or comfort?

May be i am just middle aged? ;-)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:37. Reason: formatting
sridhu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:54   #3902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Why would some one spend 50-100 k on doing up a lower end car when they could buy a class higher for that money
It's possible they bought the best car they could given their budget, and then after a few months / years when they had some more cash to spend they gave it a little upgrade.
Rehaan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:50   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
OT:

Why would some one spend 50-100 k on doing up a lower end car when they could buy a class higher for that money (two classes, if bought used) and actually enjoy the performance that they pretend they have?

I understand personalizing the car. But this goes beyond mere personalizing. I too spend an average of about 1.5 -2 l on upgrades after I buy a car - leather interior, audio upgrades and vee-kool when it was legal, are must haves in all my cars. I used to spend on webasto subroofs too until they became too expensive. So it is not a matter of why are they spending money. I am just asking why spend big money on something that does nothing for the car's performance or comfort?

May be i am just middle aged? ;-)

I guess it depends on which age group you are in. My first car was a used Alto bought after working for 1.5 years. I spent 1.7L on the car and 70k on accessories
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:31   #3904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
It's possible they bought the best car they could given their budget, and then after a few months / years when they had some more cash to spend they gave it a little upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I guess it depends on which age group you are in. My first car was a used Alto bought after working for 1.5 years. I spent 1.7L on the car and 70k on accessories
Dont know if either post invalidates my argument.

Think of it this way: you have a budget for which you have a car. Later, you find more money that you can spend on the car. At that point, would you spend the money on accessories that improve your user experience or on purely cosmetic changes? If the money is tight as both Rehaan & Foxbat say, then does it not make more sense to spend it on something useful?

Again, I agree it could be because I am 51 years old but I dont consider myself of a particularly utilitarian mindset.

Just trying to understand what drives this kind of change here; not being judgemental at all. I do like how the Eon looks but cant get rid of the feeling that the 30k is better spent on, say, new tyres.

Generation gap, I guess.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:26   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Think of it this way: you have a budget for which you have a car. Later, you find more money that you can spend on the car. At that point, would you spend the money on accessories that improve your user experience or on purely cosmetic changes? If the money is tight as both Rehaan & Foxbat say, then does it not make more sense to spend it on something useful?

Just trying to understand what drives this kind of change here; not being judgemental at all. I do like how the Eon looks but cant get rid of the feeling that the 30k is better spent on, say, new tyres.

Generation gap, I guess.
It's more about being unique, not a part of the crowd. If the person used that money to buy a Grand i10 instead, no one would have noticed it and definitely not clicked a snap and posted it here. Everyone will give a second look.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2018 at 10:14. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Altocumulus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:49   #3906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont know if either post invalidates my argument.

I had the exact same question in my mind when I saw the Eon and I agree with your thought (I am much younger to you). While investing on cosmetic enhancements could be criteria for certain owners (even I do very small changes), I feel, it shouldn't be beyond a point where a better car can be purchased instead. In this case, the buyer could have bought a much bigger/better equipped car if he/she invested the money in the right way.

If I buying a car A based on my budget 'X', then I shouldn't spend 'Y' amount on it IF ~'X+Y' can get me something which is better than A. These just my thoughts.

I have loved several modified cars from Kerala which have featured on this thread. But the above thoughts do come across too.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:51   #3907
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

bit OT,
in india the car is more an aspirational buy than a requirement buy. Hence the need for the car to display the image the owner wants to project about him/her self. Politicians, even those in the lowest rungs of the party, want to be seen in a white fortuner or white innova (because the new endeavour looks menacing, even thats in favour now)- Why ? for their requirement, a sedan would be more comfortable, at a much lesser price. Same reason why the facelift S-cross sells more than the original did (personally I find the facelift ghastly)
Tyres, NVH insulation etc are low in the priority list of the average indian car buyer, even safety. Looks and kmpl rule the bean counters.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:37. Reason: spell
Old 24th January 2018, 09:30   #3908
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Let's stick to the topic guys - thanks!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 15:28   #3909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
Found a slick little EON. I believe this is a neatly done wrap. My wife was the one who noticed the dual exhaust pipes (only one was working though)
Apologies for the bad quality rear view shot. I just didn't stop gawking on time to take a clearer near shot.

Place of spotting : Commercial Street, Bangalore.
Am I the only one who thinks that these mods don't really suit the car? While the wrap might look good, the skirts on the front bumper, those blacked out tail lamps and the spoiler really don't look good on the car. Would be more appropriate in the W&W thread IMO. But yes, I know that looks are subjective, so to each their own.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 16:10   #3910
Senior - BHPian

I'm wondering why there is no mod on the Hexa from God's own country
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 01:31   #3911
BHPian

Spotted this incredibly modded Xenon. Dont have better pictures, sorry!
PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India-img_6314.jpg

PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India-img_6312.jpg
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:08   #3912
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this the other day. Simple yet menacing. Absolutely loved the stance.

PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India-img_20180131_123304.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:09   #3913
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
He has completely blocked the airdam with his lightbar

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd February 2018 at 12:44. Reason: Fixing quoted post
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:53   #3914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 1723133
You have more pictures, if you have, then please do share.
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:38   #3915
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1723133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You have more pictures, if you have, then please do share.
We spotted this few times in and around Cochin around this New Year, also there was one another similar looking Endeavour along with Raptor grille and pronounced bull body kit (skirt).
Both were cruel and daunting for sure.

Cheers!

Most Viewed