Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 01:01   #1
BHPian

College project ! A single seater F-SAE

It all started about a year back during a seminar on what to make during our final year of engineering
and the chase was on , submitted a rough idea about making a single seater kart with a bike engine and then it got upgraded to a 800cc full blown FSAE machine

with my fingers crossed i submitted my hard copy to the college HOD who was more than happy to pass my project idea, moreover he had high expectations in me as my diploma project was first in maharashtra, he said an 'ok,best of luck' , so i could move on to the design stage

me and my 3 friends (rules say u need a group of 4) started racking our brains on ProE,Autocad,solidworks,lotus and what not which included virtual front impact,rear impact,roll,vibration and torsion tests

later on we submitted the final design of the chassis , which got passed

happily we started searching for a donor car and after searching for a month,one practically landed in my lap, engine fired up, shifts were smooth and she sounded pretty neat so went ahead with the deal and bought the car

here are a few pics-

how the car was when we took delivery
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012020801314.jpg
engine comes out
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012020801316.jpg
engine bay without engine
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012020801317.jpg
wiring - a literal pain
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012020901323.jpg
after everything came out
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012020901332.jpg

now its been almost a month of stupid prelim's and first unit test exams and work finally re-starts on the project so here goes yesterdays and today's progress , stage 2 , chassis fabrication also we made a little changes in the design to make an elliptical/seamless pipe top frame also. no joints whatsoever in the members running from the front to the back. strengthening members and struts need to be added in the next 3 days

the rear frame/floorpan
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012033101628.jpg
another angle
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012033101629.jpg
and another
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012033101630.jpg
sign of a true petrolhead
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012033101635.jpg
how it looks as of now , sorry for the bad quality , no light + phone camera
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012033101640.jpg

loads of work left mainly - brakes , suspension , steering system , gear linkages , clutch setting , pedal mountings , seat , roll over hoops , a nice sounding exhaust and primer and paint

would love some suggestions on the suspension setup , for the rear planing on using the same front springs/shock-absorbers which come with the car , in the front planning on using some self fabricated A arms with some bike shock absorbers i have lying around. suggestions ? pictures ? blueprints ? mountings ?
could really help

Regards,
Manan Patel

Last edited by garrett_t16 : 1st April 2012 at 01:05. Reason: photo in wrong place and spell error
garrett_t16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 08:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: college project ! a single seater F-SAE

What are the preliminary designs, calculations you have made? Can you share that here?

Also, in such projects the relation between final product and designed parts vary considerably, I think that is one aspect you must be more focussed on.

Spike
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:16   #3
BHPian

Re: College project ! A single seater F-SAE

Old 6th April 2012, 00:53   #4
BHPian

as of now the car stands like this , working from 8am-12am now thats tiring !
learnt 'measure thrice and cut once' the hard way

engine to be mounted and hopefully fired up tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012040501670.jpg  

College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012040501666.jpg  

Old 6th April 2012, 02:52   #5
BHPian

Why you wanna use the stock Maruti 800 mounting brace ?

Might as well make your own mounts and weld them directly to the frame this will save you weight and also make the thing look compact and also clean.

For suspension setup i would suggest you to go through Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Book popularly know as RCVD and also tune your suspension first on software for your roll rates yaw rates and so on. Then fine tune your mounting points to get bang on suspension figures.

Do NOT GO FOR the Mc-Pherson strut setup at the rear as it will give the suspension more of a off-roader type of travel which is not the aim.
FSAE cars are proper race track cars.

For rear suspension i would suggest go for Double wishbone A arm suspension with single or dual shock setup depending upon your weight and cornering forces.
for front
use the same double wishbone setup but make it an In-Board suspension in this shocks are place inside the frame plane.

For brakes i would suggest go for all disc setup as you will NEED IT disc can be of Apache rtr with its calipers

Design the HUB with a high Factor Of safety.

Keeping the engine spec and tune stock or making any changes to it ? same for the gearbox gear ratios.

Are you planning to participitate in Supra SAE ?? Event held by SAE India and sponsored by Maruti and JK ?
Which college you from ? Rajendra Mane(ratnagiri) ? which was your diploma college ?
diploma in automobile or mechanical ?

Wishing you best of luck
keeping a close watch on this thread
good work.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 6th April 2012 at 02:59.
Old 6th April 2012, 10:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Which college are you from mate?
Old 6th April 2012, 12:52   #7
BHPian

Since he is using the Maruti 800 engine, im guessing he's taking part in Supra SAE (Indian version of FSAE - the competition he is entering). its a very watered down version of the international competition. not too sure about the nitty-gritty but afaik it doesnt allow you to do too much with the engine. stock ecu, intake, exhaust, cooling, etc

HOME - now thats proper FSAE

Last edited by jayeshrc : 6th April 2012 at 12:54.
Old 6th April 2012, 16:09   #8
BHPian

@jay

I doubt to be a Supra SAE as in that the engine is provided by Maruti and all the engines are Mpfi and not carburated.

and since the Supra SAE doesn allow any change to engine hence the cars cant even sit very very low to the ground cause the sump refrains from doing so.
Old 6th April 2012, 20:15   #9
BHPian

ok here's my intro-
Im Manan residing in Mumbai(Juhu/Andheri) , i am usually found in the 4x4 section so you guys must not have seen a lot of me here , did my diploma in mechanical from Thakur (kandivli) and now doing my degree(BE) also in mechanical from shivajirao jondhale in Dombivli(new bombay)

This project as of now is only targeted at as being a final year engineering project. personally, the future prospect very definitely includes supra SAE and correctly mentioned by jatin , maruti supplies mpfi engines , complete with intake manifold,exhaust,ecm which is all sealed and it in the end comes down to driver skill and suspension setup

lemme explain to you what the scenario is
@jatin -
we had to use the 800 mounting brace because we are very short on 2 things , Vitamin M-(money) and time , although our original plan was to fabricate our engine mounts.

suspension already tested on softwares and (bang on)figures already in the hand but we are using Mc-Pherson in the rear , not optional. again the 2 reasons given above and also looking at supraSAE in the future i have no plans of scraping the oil pan on the tarmac might put 'suspension travel stoppers' thinking about it and brain says i need it but the heart begs to differ

front is going to be single/double shocks with A arms , fabrication started today

brakes is all 4 discs but the stock maruti discs all around , had thought about bike discs because of the weight advantage but opening the front hubs and knuckle to mount the discs sounds like too much work for the time we have in hand , might end up doing 800 discs in the back and bike discs in the front

gearbox ratios are completely stock , engine might get a little tweaked up (have a small secret up my sleeve) and might get a conical air filter and thats about it

thanks for your wishes jatin

jayesh- your post is completely correct , and why is mine not a proper fsae ?
answer is (30,000INR) yes you read that correct , ground up ,target budget is 30k.

looking out for sponsorship, money/parts (tyres,rims,lubricants,spares) as it is very well said something is better than nothing
let me know if you guys have something in mind

as of today evening , here's the picture of how its looking

cheers !

regards,
Manan Patel
Attached Thumbnails
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012040601677.jpg  

Old 7th May 2012, 02:22   #10
BHPian

sorry guys , was too busy in the project submission and the practical exams

the project was successful and here are the pictures before we left for college

looks pretty good , haven't really got to drive her extensively shall do that soon
Attached Thumbnails
College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012042701827.jpg  

College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012042701828.jpg  

College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012042701829.jpg  

College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012042701830.jpg  

College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012042701831.jpg  

College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012042701832.jpg  

College project ! A single seater F-SAE-img2012042701833.jpg  

garrett_t16 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks