Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2013, 20:01   #46

Re: CB radios now available in India

Yes, anyone on that frequency, will happen to hear you.
There is no privacy per say on the CB Radio wireless transmissions.

If you need any further information on the same please feel free to ask the same.

regards,
-sid
Old 6th August 2013, 22:44   #47
BHPian

How actively is cb radio used in india. I know its used extensively in us/uk buy trucks. Would like to know how this is adopted in india by users on a day to day basis. Are there any active users from bangalore who is using it nowadays?
Old 17th September 2013, 09:34   #48
BHPian

It seems like the Gov't is into CB Radios for Emergency Services and NDRF. CB Radios can be useful if many people use it actively

Amateurs hold radio festival on Sept 14

For a little privacy, one can use a set of SSB Band radios which can talk far and being expensive to own one, not many would buy it for local comms.

Last edited by comet : 17th September 2013 at 09:53.
Old 15th December 2013, 09:23   #49
BHPian

Here is what I am using in Bangalore.

Had 10 units imported as I wanted to setup a Volunteer Emergency Radio services in Kumaon region of Uttrakhand, just like what the Hams would do but not many go for these licenses now days and Cb was the best bet.

These have 12/4 W RF power output, and I believe the ranges with a good base to base antenna in the hills would be 40-50 Kms or maybe more. Not yet tested, as did not get an opportunity to travel on leisure to home town though coming summers would set up the base throughout the Kumaon region.
Attached Thumbnails
CB radios now available in India-20131215091707.jpg  

CB radios now available in India-20131215091720.jpg  

aditbelw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 18:01   #50
BHPian

Wow, you imported CB Radios which also happens to support Ham radio Bands as well. I hope you are a licensed Ham Radio User or else using those would be illegal on the air due to wider frequencies and RF power levels. Last time i heard, President branded CB Radios were the sole brand/company allowed to sell CB Equipments under Indian standards/rules for 26.957 – 27.283Mhz upto 5 watts i think. Did you get the License letter from Nanfone for cb radio use in India? Or gonna use it during emergency only? Good to see you starting Volunteer Emergency Radio services. Good initiative by the Citizens for the citizens.

How much for a radio and antenna? cheaper than President brand?

Last edited by comet : 16th December 2013 at 18:04.
Old 16th December 2013, 18:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
Wow, you imported CB Radios which also happens to support Ham radio Bands as well. I hope you are a licensed Ham Radio User or else using those would be illegal on the air due to wider frequencies and RF power levels. Last time i heard, President branded CB Radios were the sole brand/company allowed to sell CB Equipments under Indian standards/rules for 26.957 – 27.283Mhz upto 5 watts i think. Did you get the License letter from Nanfone for cb radio use in India? Or gonna use it during emergency only? Good to see you starting Volunteer Emergency Radio services. Good initiative by the Citizens for the citizens.

How much for a radio and antenna? cheaper than President brand?

These Radio's do not support Ham Band! They are PC programmable for 25-30 Mhz or 11m band and these have been programmed for India use, which is very similar to the channel spacing used in the United Kingdom & exactly what you have mentioned.

I am a Ham, not active on it for long now and have some very serious radio equipment for that too. The radio's I imported are through legal channel and via an IMPEX firm I run, and Yes they are duty paid. As far as i know, there is no such restriction's on importing CB's as long as they adhere to our legal system. As for the RF output these radio's will be used in their minimum power of 5W which adhere's to the rules as well. I don't' know about President being the only legal importer allowed by government, as they are breaking rules by selling RF power amplifiers which is strictly ILLEGAL!

They costed about $100 USD each including shipping by Sea. Duty was extra!
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:10   #52
BHPian

Hi,

Are CB radios popular in Bangalore? Highways in India?

I would like to buy a couple of them, but dont want to get into a situation of the TV station in a town that had no TVs!

With best regards
Naga Sid
PS: I don't mind being one of the pioneers in Bangalore in this
Old 3rd May 2014, 20:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
Hi,

I would like to buy a couple of them, but dont want to get into a situation of the TV station in a town that had no TVs!

With best regards
Naga Sid
PS: I don't mind being one of the pioneers in Bangalore in this

CB radios are in graves: Until you got somebody to talk to, no use at all in India.

If you want to try , you can borrow one from me! :-)
Old 20th June 2014, 11:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid
I don't think CB Radios are active in Bangalore. One thing with a transmission power of 5 Watts, you can't do much in a city. At the max you may cover a distance of 1-2kms, that is it. In highways it would be slightly better. Perhaps CB radios are helpful if you regularly go in convoys (with your friends and relatives). CB Radios operate on 27Mhz (which is the higher part of HF band, just below VHF low band). You don't have much people using that part of the frequency spectrum. So that means, you will not here much stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw
I am a Ham, not active on it for long now and have some very serious radio equipment for that too.
Bangalore has a very active set of HAMs. The city has one VHF repeater and another one slightly away in the suburbs. There is also good amount of "mobile" communication which happens in mornings and evenings, when people are driving to/from their offices .

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet
For a little privacy, one can use a set of SSB Band radios which can talk far and being expensive to own one, not many would buy it for local comms.
SSB communication only happens in HF (High Frequency). Generally such sets are placed inside homes, and antennas are bulkier too. HF has a very good coverage and people use it for long distance communication. Local communication is mainly on VHF (Very High Frequency), where SSB is not possible. VHF communications are mainly on FM. Privacy is some thing not really possible in radio communication. Another person with an HF set (on SSB) can listen to the communications. Only people with normal commercial radios may find it tough to listen.
Old 18th March 2015, 14:57   #55
BHPian

I am using two Midland 75-785 40-Channel CB Radio in Bangalore and I never heard anyone talking, other than my wife. The sound quality is really good. Never got a chance to test it for long distance, but will do that shortly.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post

I am a Ham, not active on it for long now and have some very serious radio equipment for that too.
What's your callsign? I am VU2ORO. Been a ham for almost 22 years. Use self built AND commercial radios and can be heard transmitting almost everyday.

<SSB is a modulation mode: has no link with the frequency band: In fact VHF SSB is also quite common. Aeronautical VHF, is AM, because you can hear multiple stations at the same time, unlike FM.>

FM is simple to generate, and requires simpler circuitry than SSB, the reason why it is cheaper and easier to produce. Hence cheap CB sets will be FM, then AM, then SSB!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 18th March 2015 at 16:36.
Old 18th March 2015, 17:18   #57
BHPian

Hello, may be this isn't the right thread to post this in, but here goes...

Can these radios be tuned to listen in on ATC traffic ?

I believe transmitting on ATC frequencies is a big no-no, but listening in is OK (?).

Thinking that listening to ATC traffic would be a nice change compared to listening to regular music
Old 19th March 2015, 11:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlyak
I am using two Midland 75-785 40-Channel CB Radio in Bangalore and I never heard anyone talking, other than my wife.
CB radio is yet to full catch up in India. There are also severe restrictions imposed on the power at which you can operate etc. 5W power some times is not enough for communication inside a city etc. Plus you also would not have a repeater (which can amplify the signals and spread it across a huge area). CB Radio, I feel would be of good use to vehicles going on a convoy etc. Communication is much much quicker than a cell phone, and group calls are very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini
Can these radios be tuned to listen in on ATC traffic ?
No. The CB Radios which is available (and legally permitted) in India, is on 27Mhz range. As far as I know, both AM and FM modes of transmission are allowed. The Air Traffic radio communication happens in 108Mhz to around 137Mhz. Even in this frequency range the actual voice communication happens some where between 118Mhz and 125Mhz, and the other parts of frequency spectrum are used by radio beacons and other navigation devices. So if you see; a CB radio is tuned for a frequency much below the ATC frequencies, and you would NOT be able to listen to ATC communications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli
Aeronautical VHF, is AM, because you can hear multiple stations at the same time, unlike FM.
Can you explain this part? My understanding is that every Airport has some 2-3 frequencies (for Ground, Tower & Approach), and they are kind of unique spot frequencies for the airport. The pilot just keeps on changing the frequencies, as he gets into the control area of the Ground, Tower or Approach. And all flights do the same thing, and so they all can hear what each others are saying.
Old 6th December 2017, 16:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
...in the frequency band 26.957 – 27.283 MHz with 5 Watt Effective Radiated Power and built-in antenna

You cannot use CB Radios with ability to gain/increase the signal above 5Watts.
Quoting an old post but when they say we cannot increase the signal does it make the car mounted antennas illegal?

What does increasing the signal really mean. As I get a longer antenna I am increasing the signal range from 1-2 kms to 4-5 kms.
Old 6th December 2017, 17:34   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Quoting an old post but when they say we cannot increase the signal does it make the car mounted antennas illegal?

What does increasing the signal really mean. As I get a longer antenna I am increasing the signal range from 1-2 kms to 4-5 kms.
Depending on the antenna type and design, by using a bigger or better antenna you are only increasing sensitivity to low(er) strength signals during reception and/or you're increasing range in some or all directions whilst transmitting.

In a nutshell: you do not increase the radiated power by changing the antenna. That remains the same.

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th December 2017 at 17:37.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks