Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2020, 20:59   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: CB radios now available in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
For what purpose do you use the radio for? CB radios are not very common and if others around you are not onboard, then it doesn't serve much purpose.
Mainly because me and bhpian jkds travel long distances together the most frequent being Delhi-Kolkata-Delhi. Also a few more trips are planned to remote areas where mobile connectivity is dismal. He has the setup in both his cars so this works very well for instant communications, etc. We had tried the Zello app but it is dependant on the mobile network and 4G mostly not available on highways. Making a call is time consuming and distracting; unlock mobile, search number, dial, wait to connect and so on. This is as good as he sitting next to me and talking.
Also the PA system works well to disperse crowd and people cutting in (though mine is yet to be fitted). Other than that most of the offroading groups in NCR use CB radio, so during meets it helps during convoy travel and spotting.
Additionally, though a long shot it can help during emergency on highways using band 9 which is the emergency frequency provided someone is monitoring it.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 10th March 2020 at 21:10.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 23:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Mainly because me and bhpian jkds travel long distances together the most frequent being Delhi-Kolkata-Delhi. Also a few more trips are planned to remote areas where mobile connectivity is dismal. He has the setup in both his cars so this works very well for instant communications, etc.
Then you have a good use case

Quote:
Also the PA system works well to disperse crowd and people cutting in (though mine is yet to be fitted).
Have you looked at the legal aspect of this? Anyone and everyone do not have the right to make personal announcements and use it for clearing traffic. Imagine the chaos it would cause if everyone starts swearing at other vehicles using a speaker.

Quote:
Additionally, though a long shot it can help during emergency on highways using band 9 which is the emergency frequency provided someone is monitoring it.
You are not living in the Americas
Old 11th March 2020, 00:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Have you looked at the legal aspect of this? Anyone and everyone do not have the right to make personal announcements and use it for clearing traffic. Imagine the chaos it would cause if everyone starts swearing at other vehicles using a speaker.
Absolutely agree. The law is grey when it comes to personal announcements. That's why we are not in a hurry to get it fitted either.
However to clarify, it's not going to be used like you stated. To give an example, exactly this time last year during holi we were traveling in the night late through Raebaraeli/ Mughalsarai etc and there were multiple times our convoy of 3-4 cars were blocked just for fun by people who were intoxicated banging the bonnets and side windows. The lead car had a PA system and it could help request the people to move out of the way which otherwise would have to be done by rolling the windows which is not safe at all.
Old 11th March 2020, 15:47   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus
Other than that most of the offroading groups in NCR use CB radio, so during meets it helps during convoy travel and spotting.
CB radio is best suited for such convoys and group travellers. As it is easy to operate and is also license free. People who are not interested in Amateur Radio need not spend time and effort to own a two-way radio. The only limitation of CB radio would be on its output power and coverage area.

Quote:
None of the highway development agencies or the highway police teams monitor CB radio channels. If you notice even in the desolate/unpopulated stretch of highways the focus is to have public telephones, SOS telephones etc installed. The various police agencies and highway contractors may be using two-way radios, but they would be way far away from the CB radio frequencies (of 27Mhz).

Quote:
The lead car had a PA system and it could help request the people to move out of the way which otherwise would have to be done by rolling the windows which is not safe at all.
By PA system do you also mean the system which has sirens/two-tones/wailers attached to it? Or is it just a loud speaker and microphone? Years back I had made a trip to New Delhi-Haryana-Punjab side. I was surprised to find 'civilian cars' having the police sirens fixed to them. The drivers also used them liberally, especially when overatking trucks and trailer trucks etc. That did look a bit odd to me.
Old 11th March 2020, 22:28   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
CB radio is best suited for such convoys and group travellers. As it is easy to operate and is also license free. People who are not interested in Amateur Radio need not spend time and effort to own a two-way radio. The only limitation of CB radio would be on its output power and coverage area.
Yes it can cover upto 2-3 kms on the highway and thats more than enough in most scenarios

Quote:
None of the highway development agencies or the highway police teams monitor CB radio channels. If you notice even in the desolate/unpopulated stretch of highways the focus is to have public telephones, SOS telephones etc installed. The various police agencies and highway contractors may be using two-way radios, but they would be way far away from the CB radio frequencies (of 27Mhz).
Yes, I thought so. The Walker has a dedicated switch to move to the emergency bands but am sure it wont be of any use in India.

Quote:
By PA system do you also mean the system which has sirens/two-tones/wailers attached to it? Or is it just a loud speaker and microphone? Years back I had made a trip to New Delhi-Haryana-Punjab side. I was surprised to find 'civilian cars' having the police sirens fixed to them. The drivers also used them liberally, especially when overatking trucks and trailer trucks etc. That did look a bit odd to me.
Just a speaker and you use the handheld microphone of the CB Radio to talk. Same thing as a megaphone just that the speaker and mike is separate.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 11th March 2020 at 22:30.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:34   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Next I tried the Uniden PRO401HH,with two magnetic antennae to increase its range.
Can you please let know the range you are getting for Uniden handheld+ antennae combination and also for the President set?
Old 24th September 2020, 21:02   #82
BHPian

Sorry,mpksuhas, due to the lockdown and Shri CORONA being still rampant, we have not had much chance of testing the duo as long outings are still discouraged. But with the Uniden HH held outside the window and communicating with President BILL, we got 5+ kms , on open roads. My friend in the other car was not too co-operative to do multiple tests.

Yet to plan a trip where I can connect the Uniden to roof-mounted magnetic and test the duo ( no other friend owns a CB radio, and my idea behind purchasing two was to encourage others to also buy & install ). Meanwhile, prices have doubled/trebled in less than a year -- God knows why.

Tried to buy a fibreglass antenna from Amazon thrice to serve as an alternate to the inconvenient whip one, but failed. Sellers went overdue on delivery dates and refunded amounts ! But, like Robert Bruce of Scotland, I am licking my wounds and planning to try again --TRAM or FIREFLY .
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:15   #83
BHPian

What is the difference between CB radio & normal walkie talkie? If my friend and I need to travel long distance with family in 2 separate cars, a normal Baofeng (Most popular make in Amazon) walkie talkie is enough or do we need to install CB radios in our cars? What is the legal status of Walkie Talkies in India? Please help as I got no knowledge of radios / walkie talkies !
Old 26th September 2020, 11:42   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol
What is the difference between CB radio & normal walkie talkie?
The principles behind all two-way radios is all the same. All two-way radios basically transmit and receive sound waves having a specific audio wave frequency. It is the frequency ranges which they operate which makes the difference. And there are also usage restrictions (laws) governing the use of two way radios. CB Radio in India would be operating in 27Mhz frequency range (just like say how Radio City transmits on 91.1 Mhz). Government of India has split the 27Mhz frequency to different channels, and CB radios can only operate on these channels. All CB radios will have the same configuration of channels. On CB radio usage there is a rule that these radios can only transmit at 5W or less. Also they cannot use 'wireless/radio repeaters' which can enhance the coverage area. This means that coverage area of CB radio would be limited - say to less than 2 to 3 kms, and most suited for communication between vehicles etc. CB Radio is 'license free', which means that any body can buy it from a shop and start using it. They can use any name to identify themselves.

There are walkie talkies used by other agencies or groups of people. For that also a different frequency range is allotted so that one group will not interfere with the other. Amateur Radio Operators (or HAMs) generally are alloted the frequency range of 144Mhz-146Mhz. So their walkie talkies would be operating in this frequency range. In the same way police, fire brigade, railways etc have got their own walkie talkies. Their walkie-talkies are also programmed to have channels, for ease of use.

Quote:
If my friend and I need to travel long distance with family in 2 separate cars, a normal Baofeng (Most popular make in Amazon) walkie talkie is enough or do we need to install CB radios in our cars?
It depends on the frequency in which the Baofeng radio is programmed. The make or type of the wireless set does not matter. In many European countries PMR (Personal Mobile Radio) system has been in use for ages. These tiny radios are using the 446Mhz frequency range, and can only transmit at a power of 0.5 Watts. It is just another version of the CB radio - but operating at lower power and on different frequency. In year 2018 Govt. of India has allowed PMR radios to be used 'license free' in India. So if your Baofeng radios are tuned to this frequency, then you can use it. Note that; CB Radio has more transmitting power (5W) when compared to PMR (0.5W).

Quote:
What is the legal status of Walkie Talkies in India?
Walkie talkies are just one type of wireless communication device, and classified as 'hand-held'. There are also other wireless communication devices which are called 'mobile' (i.e which can be fixed to a vehicle) or 'base station' (which is generally kept in a building). Among the three, walkie talkies have the least transmission power (often 5 to 7 W). Mobiles & base station have transmission power of 65W to 100W.

On the usage of wireless devices the rules are:-
1. Any one can use CB Radios and PMR 'license free'. The radios can be of any type, hand held (walkie talkie), mobile or base station. Restrictions are on frequency and output power. You can walk into a shop, buy them and start using them straight away.
2. For radios operating on frequency ranges alloted for 'Amateur Radio' use, a special license is required. For this the applicant should appear for an exam clear it and also clear mandatory police and intelligence agency verification. These users have special call signs and operating procedures. They have many other advantage; they can transmit at higher power and also can use what is known as radio repeaters. For example, using the repeater at Yercaud hills in TN, I could communicate from my car at Coimbatore to a station at Bangalore (totally avoiding any other network like cell phone network).
3. For radios operating on frequencies allotted to other agencies. Only authorised users from that agency can use the radios. So police men etc use their radios for their official purpose only, and they will not be able to use it once they are out of the police force.

Last edited by sachinpk : 26th September 2020 at 11:44. Reason: grammar checks..
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:35   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
CB radios are in graves: Until you got somebody to talk to, no use at all in India.

If you want to try , you can borrow one from me! :-)
And years later, would like to take up the offer on this. Am in Bengaluru.

Wondering if we could set up a small 'club' of cb radio users in Blr.

Cheers!
NS

Last edited by naga.sid : 19th November 2020 at 12:41.
naga.sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:55   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
And years later, would like to take up the offer on this. Am in Bengaluru.

Wondering if we could set up a small 'club' of cb radio users in Blr.

Cheers!
NS
I still have a few radios and base antennas left with me. Let me know about the club plan !
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 14:03   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
I still have a few radios and base antennas left with me. Let me know about the club plan !
Based out of Blr. Got myself a President Bill with antenna. We would need to catch up on phone to get things moving. Is there a way I can send you a PM with my Phone number?

Regards,
NS
Old 10th December 2020, 22:13   #88
BHPian

For those interested, drove around South of Bangalore including till Bannerghatta for some work I had. Had the cb radio on the scan mode and nobody was live on air. There were a few crackles once in a way, but I would think those were static.

A few of us are putting together a plan for a club around this whilst integrating it with long drives.

Cheers!
NS
naga.sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 13:00   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
Had the cb radio on the scan mode and nobody was live on air. There were a few crackles once in a way, but I would think those were static.
I don't think there are many CB radio operators in Bangalore. The amateur radio operators (HAMs) would be in bigger numbers. And they now have around four repeaters on tall buildings & hills which gives them pretty much city wide coverage.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:27   #90
BHPian

I met a person over CB frequency in Goa. Anyone here drives a Isuzu . Wondering if it is anyone of us here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks