Please send me your email and I shall provide the details . Thanks
Hi,

Sent you a PM.

Thks
indianrunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 09:25   #17
BHPian

Re: CB radios now available in India

Here are a couple of videos showing how to use a CB radio.

Last edited by zipperone : 18th April 2012 at 09:30.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

I had seen another vendor also for CB radios, this is the link Walkie Talkie | Motorola, Kenwood, Talk PRO Walkie Talkies | Walkie Talkie dealer
Old 18th April 2012, 12:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
I had seen another vendor also for CB radios, this is the link Walkie Talkie | Motorola, Kenwood, Talk PRO Walkie Talkies | Walkie Talkie dealer
They don't sell CB radios and I think licence for fixed(cbr in vehicles) vs walkie talkie differ.
Old 18th April 2012, 16:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

when travelling in convoy (at least two) there is always communication problem when in unknown territory or when one loses line of sight with the other vehicle. always wanted a cost effective (read not expensive) solution to this.

cellphones don't work always as the network might not be available everywhere. for example, there were areas on the NH4 when we were travelling to Pune where we intermittently lost coverage.

don't they have handheld CB available?
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 17:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

As per Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, License for CB radio was De-Licensced in August 2005. Yet not many people were even aware of the legality of it, including me.

Government allowed us;

Use of wireless equipment in the band 26.957 – 27.283 MHz.- Notwithstanding anything contained in any law for the time being in force, no licence shall be required by any person to establish, maintain, work, possess or deal in any wireless equipment intended to be used while in motion or during halts, on non-interference, non-protection and shared (non-exclusive) basis, in the frequency band 26.957 – 27.283 MHz with 5 Watt Effective Radiated Power and built-in antenna

You cannot use CB Radios with ability to gain/increase the signal above 5Watts.

De-licenseing notice here- Click Me

So anything between 26.957 - 27.283 MHz with max 5w output for antenna is legit.

@IronH4WK- They are certainly available but I am a bit confused about the spectrum they use for that frequency(AM/FM/VHF/UHF). As in some countries they use AM for CB radio and in some FM for CB radio. Where as Walkie Talkie as per the link posted by Jaggu says it uses VHF and requires license-Click Me

It will be safe for me to say AM/FM CB radio using (26.957 - 27.283 MHz) is what we are allowed in India. I don't think we can use VHF/UHF legally without a license and it would defeat the purpose of CB Radio.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 18:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@IronH4WK- They are certainly available but I am a bit confused about the spectrum they use for that frequency(AM/FM/VHF/UHF). As in some countries they use AM for CB radio and in some FM for CB radio. Where as Walkie Talkie as per the link posted by Jaggu says it uses VHF and requires license-Click Me

It will be safe for me to say AM/FM CB radio using (26.957 - 27.283 MHz) is what we are allowed in India. I don't think we can use VHF/UHF legally without a license and it would defeat the purpose of CB Radio.
US uses AM band for CB as far as i know; so does India (not sure though).

had tried to create sort of makeshift CB radio back in college days, but fell short of pocket money to get the crystal (27Mhz) and some other parts for it. ended up making a MW transceiver
Old 18th April 2012, 21:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
US uses AM band for CB as far as i know; so does India (not sure though).

had tried to create sort of makeshift CB radio back in college days, but fell short of pocket money to get the crystal (27Mhz) and some other parts for it. ended up making a MW transceiver
I think some of the Veterans of Raid de Himalaya could shed some light on usage of AM/FM band for CB radio as they use them.

UK uses FM and I think we use FM as well but doesn't matter much cause the CB radio available in India are AM/FM.

A bit OT but using FM/AM does it means we can tune it on our Car radio to drop on CB conversions?
Old 18th April 2012, 22:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa
A bit OT but using FM/AM does it means we can tune it on our Car radio to drop on CB conversions?
yes, CB radio transmission is one of the easiest to eavesdrop on. Unless of course a scrambler is being used.

Edit: we had a Telerad valve radio at home when i was a kid and i used to tune into SW1 and SW2 in the hopes of listening into conversations between pilots! never happened

Last edited by IronH4WK : 18th April 2012 at 23:00.
Old 18th April 2012, 23:26   #25
BHPian

if someone could please explain :
1. what are the practical day-to-day useage of these CB radios ?
2. if i am fitting a CB transceiver in my jeep, what purpose does it have for me say, when travelling in highways or in remote villages ?
3. wikepedia lists some dedicated frequencies as indian CB Radio frequencies, is this info genuine ? if so, can we listen to these frequencies to know any info ? is this legal to listen ?

Indian CB channels:
Frequency Usage
26.964 Hobbyist comms
26.968 [offset] Mountaineering
26.972 Hobbyist comms
26.976 [offset] Mountaineering
26.980 Highway comms
26.988 spare
26.996 spare
27.004 Radio-controlled model aircraft
27.012 Rural comms
27.020 Radio-controlled devices, ex. garage door openers, alarms
27.028 Rural comms
27.036 Hobbyist comms
27.044 Highway emergency ( to contact police )
27.052 Highway emergency ( to contact EMS )
27.060 Marine lifesaving comms
27.068 Marine lifesaving comms
27.076 Disaster relief
27.084 Disaster relief
27.092 Forestry
27.100 Forestry
27.108 Radio-controlled devices, ex. garage door openers, alarms
27.116 Radio-controlled model aircraft
27.124 Hobbyist comms
27.132 spare
27.140 Mountaineering
27.148 Radio-controlled model aircraft
27.155 [offset] Radio-controlled models, general
27.156 Radio-controlled model aircraft
27.164 spare
27.172 Rural comms
27.180 spare
27.188 spare
27.196 spare
27.204 Mountaineering
27.212 Rural comms
27.220 Sports events
27.225 [offset] Radio-controlled models, general
27.228 Radio-controlled model aircraft
27.236 Highway comms
27.244 Sports events
27.250 [offset] Radio-controlled toys and gadgets
27.252 spare
27.260 Radio-controlled toys and gadgets
27.268 spare
27.276 spare

Best Regards.
shekaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 01:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, CB radio transmission is one of the easiest to eavesdrop on. Unless of course a scrambler is being used.

Edit: we had a Telerad valve radio at home when i was a kid and i used to tune into SW1 and SW2 in the hopes of listening into conversations between pilots! never happened
Did you not hear about the two dudes(foreigners) caught by the police in a hotel in Mumbai or Delhi trying to do the same with some high tech equipment and got busted.

@Shekaran-

1. Day to day usage would be not much unless you have a set of friends who want to play hide and seek within a certain radius in your city.

If it gains popularity and catches up at least within the T-Bhp community in every major city then- Alert other riders when there are cops aiming with a speed gun or traffic jams/ accident and someone stuck with a broken down vehicle.

Same could be said for the Highways but again only beneficial if the CB Radio community grows across India.

Will help more when riding in a group going either on long isolated roads or jungles where there is no telecommunication network. Believe me there are plenty of places in India where there are no network coverage for miles at a stretch.

All depends on how much deep jungle excursion trips you would make with others, while off-roading events or simply while travelling in a caravan.

2. Same as above.

3. Anything between 26.957 - 27.283 MHz is the legal limit and CB sets available in India would be programmed just in that range.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 11:56   #27
BHPian

VHF/UHF are only allowed to license holders or Hams. VHF's are generally for outdoors and marine communications as they give better range in open. UHF is good for Urban environment as UHF can penetrate concrete walls better than VHF. That's the reason cops in India use UHF.

You can use both AM/FM bands in India. We follow the British band spacing.If a radio is procured from there, it will work here within the same channels.

The difference between AM/FM: AM was an older carrier wave when almost all the CB's were on this band. Then came the FM which offered more clarity & better range so instead of letting go off the AM entirely the manufactures started offering both AM/FM .FM is mostly used with VHF communications and if you get a VHF with AM then you can log onto communications between an ATC and the Pilot.

A car radio cannot access a CB communication. The CB works on 27Mhz, and your Car radio starts tuning from maybe 88.00 Mhz to 109Mhz.

Last edited by aditbelw : 19th April 2012 at 12:00. Reason: Multi quote confusion!
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 12:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Did you not hear about the two dudes(foreigners) caught by the police in a hotel in Mumbai or Delhi trying to do the same with some high tech equipment and got busted.
this was way back in the 80's; what did i know about National Security and stuff back then
Old 19th April 2012, 22:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:

don't they have handheld CB available?
Handhelds should be available soon
Old 19th April 2012, 22:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
VHF/UHF are only allowed to license holders or Hams. VHF's are generally for outdoors and marine communications as they give better range in open. UHF is good for Urban environment as UHF can penetrate concrete walls better than VHF. That's the reason cops in India use UHF.

You can use both AM/FM bands in India. We follow the British band spacing.If a radio is procured from there, it will work here within the same channels.

The difference between AM/FM: AM was an older carrier wave when almost all the CB's were on this band. Then came the FM which offered more clarity & better range so instead of letting go off the AM entirely the manufactures started offering both AM/FM .FM is mostly used with VHF communications and if you get a VHF with AM then you can log onto communications between an ATC and the Pilot.

A car radio cannot access a CB communication. The CB works on 27Mhz, and your Car radio starts tuning from maybe 88.00 Mhz to 109Mhz.

Thanks for clearing that out. Hmmm never thought of car radio frequency but can't our car radios be configured for lower frequencies?

Now in this thread we know what band we use, legality of usage and a company which sells it.

What we need to know now is suitable set with price range and feedback from a user.

Quote:
this was way back in the 80's; what did i know about National Security and stuff back then
Ignorance is bliss

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks